How is Mary "mother of God", isn't she only the mother of the son, part of God?

How can one be conceived by God, and mother to God, at the same time?
Isn’t Mary only the mother of a part of God, the son?
Wouldn’t saying she is the mother of God, mean she is mother of all parts of God?
The father and the holy spirit as well?

I don’t think we can say that Jesus is a part of God. He is God, with the Father and the Holy Spirit… He doesn’t have the third of a divine nature but a perfect divine nature, and of course also a human nature. Two complete natures in one person.
Mary is mother of Jesus, who is True God and True Man, which means she is mother of God. She carried God in her womb.

That’s the Mystery of the Trinity…

I hope I haven’t said anything too wrong…

Read the Athanasian Creed that might clear up some of your confusion regarding the Holy Trinity and what we believe as Catholics.

Our Lord Jesus Christ was fully Human and fully Divine but there is One Person, One Christ. The Blessed Virgin Mary is the mother of Christ, thus the Mother of God.

“Called in the Gospels “the mother of Jesus”, Mary is acclaimed by Elizabeth, at the prompting of the Spirit and even before the birth of her son, as “the mother of my Lord”. In fact, the One whom she conceived as man by the Holy Spirit, who truly became her Son according to the flesh, was none other than the Father’s eternal Son, the second person of the Holy Trinity. Hence the Church confesses that Mary is truly “Mother of God” (Theotokos)” (CCC 495).

This was the subject of some debate in the early Church. Mary is not just the mother of the human Jesus, she is the Mother of God. See:

catholic.com/tracts/mary-mother-of-god

Excellent question… If my memory serves me right, this was the subject of a early church conference and the word’s "theotokis"or something like that comes to mind but I forgot why… not good at latin :slight_smile:

Also there is a bit of linear thinking about human birthing that has to be set aside cause Jesus was alway existent… “as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be”… Jesus was always God…

But it’s like 2:30 in the morning and that’s the best I could come up with right now…

Cheerz

Trickster
Bruce

Jesus is God the Son, the second person of the Blessed Trinity. He has a Divine nature and a human nature. He is one Person - a Divine person, with a human nature.

Mary is Jesus’ mother. She is the mother of the person, not the nature. Jesus is God. Therefore, Mary is the mother of God.

In a frail, human analogy, I am Irish. My husband is Trinidadian. My children are Irish Trinidadian. I am their mother - the mother of each human person, not the mother of the Irish part only.

“Daughter of the Father, mother of the Son, spouse of the Holy Spirit.”

The Father is God.
The Son is God.
The Holy Spirit is God.
Each of the three is God, whole and complete.

The Blessed Virgin Mary is mother of Christ, and Christ is God the Son. Therefore she is mother of God.

It is a heresy to say that each Person of the Blessed Trinity only comprises 1/3 of God. Each Person is fully and completely God.

The title Mother of God serves to acknowledge that the Child she bore was 100% human and 100% God.

Jesus has a divine nature and a human nature…but He is One Person, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, (God the Son.)

The answers in this thread serves the topic well!

Read the Catechism, it will answer all your questions. Mary is the Mother of God because Christ is God and Man. The Second Person of the Trinity assumed a human nature. And since the Second Person is God, He is always united to the Father and the Holy Spirit. There is always One God and Three Persons in God. Do not expect to understand this, it is a Mystery involving the Nature of God. St. Augustine was warned by God, not to attempt to understand these things. The Catechism teaches all that man will ever know about these Mysteries.

Linus2nd

Seperating Christ from God is doing a dishonor to the Holy Trinity. Either Christ is God or He is not.

So if Christ is God, the Mary would be the Mother of God.

Anglicans call Mary theotokos, literally the “God-bearer” or “one who gives birth to God”.

No. To believe so denies the existence of the Holy Trinity. Once you understand the mystery of the Trinity, you will understand:

The Father IS God, the Son IS God, the Holy Spirit IS God - but, the Father IS NOT the Son or the Holy Spirit, the Son IS NOT the Father or the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit IS NOT the Father or the Son.

One God, Three Persons.

Yeah , I know…but that’s why it’s called a mystery!

Peace and all good!

Not just Anglicans, but Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox do too. The Greek word “Theotokos” was proclaimed canon at the Council of Ephesus in the 5th century. Only the Assyrian Church of the East dissented from its decision :slight_smile:

Correct. Three persons one nature

There is serious problem with separating Mary from God. Jesus is one person. He is 100% human and 100% devine. The two natures co-exist in him, but there is no mingling. When he was born, he was born fully God and fully human. Mary is the mother of the child who was born from her. Therefore she is the mother of the God-Man or simply put, the mother of God.

There is a distinction that must be made here. There is the Trinity and there are the persons within the Trinity. Mary is not the mother of the Trinity. But she is the mother of the second person in the Trinity. All three persons in the Trinity are one God. Hence, she is the mother of the one God without being the mother of the Trinity.

She was created by God to be the mother of the second person of the Trinity who is truly God.

Where’d you get the idea that Jesus is part of God? That is very false.
Jesus is ALL of what God is and no I’m not being Modalistic. The Doc-
trine of the Trinity says that there is One God, that God is Father, Son,
& Holy Spirit, that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are distinct persons,
yet each are 100% God. the FULLNESS of God is in each Person, not
PART of what God is.

All the Fullness of the Godhead is in Jesus, says Paul, so yes, to say
that Mary is the Mother of God DOES mean that she is the Mother of
ALL parts of God, because God doesn’t come in PARTS, but is ONE
and only ONE.

The Father and the Holy Spirit as well? No. We have just crash landed in the Mystery of God.

You wrote: "Jesus is one person. He is 100% human and 100% devine. **The two natures **co-exist in him but there is no mingling "

I may be mistaken but this is “ify” theology here is it not? You are suggesting Jesus has 2 natures (human & divine) and there is no “mingling” which means they are separate. That’s Nestorianism, no?

No. It’s another way of saying that there is no confusing of the natures, which comes right out of the Definition of Chalcedon.

Thanks I will definitely research that

It is Church teaching that Jesus has 2 Natures (Divine and Human) joined in one Person (the God-Man, Jesus). Nestorianism says that Jesus was in fact 2 separate persons, completely separate and independent from one another, co-existing in one body.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.