How is one's personal salvation attained?

On what Bible evidence do you claim your position for personal salvation?

God Bless,
Pat

:popcorn:

[quote="PJM, post:1, topic:276522"]

God Bless,
Pat

[/quote]

According to Judaism, personal salvation is based on individual prayer and atonement to G-d, repentance toward our fellow man, and charitable deeds. This is founded on many passages in the Hebrew Bible, particularly the Torah. However, Judaism does not focus on personal salvation in the World to Come; it is more interested in studying Torah and putting its wisdom into practice by means of moral behavior in our everyday lives.

. This is founded on many passages in the Hebrew Bible, particularly the Torah.http://www.filii.info/g.gif

Baptism - Baptism now saves you.

[quote="meltzerboy, post:3, topic:276522"]
According to Judaism, personal salvation is based on individual prayer and atonement to G-d, repentance toward our fellow man, and charitable deeds. This is founded on many passages in the Hebrew Bible, particularly the Torah. However, Judaism does not focus on personal salvation in the World to Come; it is more interested in studying Torah and putting its wisdom into practice by means of moral behavior in our everyday lives.

[/quote]

'Salvation' supposes that one needs to 'saved from' something. Seeking forgiveness and making restitution, whether from/to God or another individual, isn't the same thing because it's what we're supposed to do, it's doing the right thing, rather than because it's some kind of remedy against 'Hell'.

Personal salvation for me was being "saved" from myself.....being "saved" from despair, sorrow, self destructive impulses...."saved" from anger at God and my world..."saved" from guilt and anguish.

I was "saved" for a life to seek God and experience His mercy and love. I was "saved" for the opportunity to "work out my own salvation"......"by grace you have been saved....not of yourself...it is the gift of God".....I have been "saved for good works".

"Personal salvation"....is...well...personal.....and how I understand and experience God in my life does not negate how "you" understand and experience God....God meets us where we are....one of my favorite CCM songs is "When God Ran" I heard it many years ago....and it always causes me to pause and reflect...."the only time I ever say Him run....is when He ran to me.".....that's personal salvation.:)

youtube.com/watch?v=JzUrF3AYWS8 (I found this on You Tube in case anyone wants to listen to it.)

=meltzerboy;9052690]According to Judaism, personal salvation is based on individual prayer and atonement to G-d, repentance toward our fellow man, and charitable deeds. This is founded on many passages in the Hebrew Bible, particularly the Torah. However, Judaism does not focus on personal salvation in the World to Come; it is more interested in studying Torah and putting its wisdom into practice by means of moral behavior in our everyday lives.

Thank you for sharing,:)

Shalom brother,

Pat

=hn160;9053471]Baptism - Baptism now saves you.

OK, but ONLY up to the point of the BAptism right?

God Bless,
Pat

=Kaninchen;9053652]'Salvation' supposes that one needs to 'saved from' something. Seeking forgiveness and making restitution, whether from/to God or another individual, isn't the same thing because it's what we're supposed to do, it's doing the right thing, rather than because it's some kind of remedy against 'Hell'.

This becomes a difficult discussion for non-chruistians.

BUT the basre issues remain the same.

How is one forgivren?

How necessary is charity?

Shalom,

Pat

=Publisher;9054414]Personal salvation for me was being "saved" from myself.....being "saved" from despair, sorrow, self destructive impulses...."saved" from anger at God and my world..."saved" from guilt and anguish.

I was "saved" for a life to seek God and experience His mercy and love. I was "saved" for the opportunity to "work out my own salvation"......"by grace you have been saved....not of yourself...it is the gift of God".....I have been "saved for good works".

"Personal salvation"....is...well...personal.....and how I understand and experience God in my life does not negate how "you" understand and experience God....God meets us where we are....one of my favorite CCM songs is "When God Ran" I heard it many years ago....and it always causes me to pause and reflect...."the only time I ever say Him run....is when He ran to me.".....that's personal salvation.:)

youtube.com/watch?v=JzUrF3AYWS8 (I found this on You Tube in case anyone wants to listen to it.)

So my friend,

What is the Quaker postion on Christ and Christianity in general?:)

God Bless,
Pat

The opening paragraph from my favorite book in the world…I have a copy of it with me always…and read it often…“Testament of Devotion” by Thomas Kelly

“Meister Eckhart wrote, “As thou art in church or cell, the same frame of mind carry out into the world, into its trumoil and its fitfulness.” Deep within us all there is an amazing inner sanctuary of the soul, a holy place, a Divine Center, a speaking Voice, to which we may continously return. Eternity is at our hearts, pressing upon our time-torn lives, warming us with intimations of an astounding destiny, calling us home unto Itself. Yielding to these persuasions, gladly commiting ourselves in body and soul, utterly and completely, to the Light Within, is the beginning of true life. It is a dynamic center, a creative Life that presses to birth within us. It is a Light Within which illumines the face of God and casts new shadows and new glories upon the face of men. It is a Seed stirring to life if we do not choke it. It is the Shekinah of the soul, the Presence in the midst. here is the Slumbering Christ, stirring to be awakened, to become the soul we clothe in earthly form and action. And He is within us all.”

We are made in His Image and likenss…through the Inward Light we can experience His workings in us. The Living Christ is our Present Teacher, and as we meet before Him in worship and join with one another in community in our search for Him…He manifests His Life in us…through us and we become His Body by this Work of God in our “inward man”.

We find forgiveness, peace and hope for our world in Him. God is known best in Jesus of Nazareth. God is experienced and that experience is evidenced in our lives…without the “evidence” of the “experience”…it is only hollow words. The Christ Within is our Priest, Baptizer, Friend and each person come in contact with has the potential to “wear the face of Jesus”.

Scripture is a witness…a “testimony” of how others experienced God and followed Him…but until we “own” the experience of which the scriptures testify we are “lacking”.

Friends don’t recite the ancient or modern creeds…we seek to “let our lives speak” to the experience of this new life…George Fox expressed it in these words**…“I saw that Christ died for all men, and was a propitiation for all, and enlightened all men and women with His divine and saving Light; and that none could be a true believer but who believed in it. I saw that the grace of God, which bringeth salvation, had appeared to all men, and that the manifestation of the Spirit of God was given to every man to profit withal. These things I did not see by the help of man, nor by the letter, though they are written in the letter, but I saw them in the Light of the Lord Jesus Christ, and by His immediate Spirit and Power.”**

Reciting creeds and making deep spiritual proclamations concerning faith and doctrine that does not call us to a Deeper Life and Witness in our world…don’t mean much…we must “posess what we profess”…“walk the walk not just talk the talk”…

For Friends it’s not so much WHAT we believe about Jesus that matters…but do we manifest His Life in our world…Christianity is more about “doing”…than about “professing”.

God Bless,
Pat

[/quote]

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
... Romans 10:9

Campus Crusade for Christ has broken down the process into 4 steps ...based on scripture.

It is explained that we are not only saved from something (which would be more than enough in itself) but we are saved to something ... which is the opportunity for full fellowship with the creator of the universe... for eternity (and beyond :) ) as well as the ability to begin to learn Gods plan in our lives.

Here is a brief description of personal salvation described by Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection:

[quote="1voice, post:13, topic:276522"]
That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
... Romans 10:9

Campus Crusade for Christ has broken down the process into 4 steps ...based on scripture.

It is explained that we are not only saved from something (which would be more than enough in itself) but we are saved to something ... which is the opportunity for full fellowship with the creator of the universe... for eternity (and beyond :) ) as well as the ability to begin to learn Gods plan in our lives.

Here is a brief description of personal salvation described by Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection:

[/quote]

1voice,

Do you see Baptism and the Lord's Supper/Holy Eucharist as part of salvation?

Peace,
Anna

God Bless,
Pat

[/quote]

PJM,
Would you share your position and what Biblical evidence you claim? That would be helpful to the discussion.

Peace,
Anna

By the grace of God.

When I was "saved", I was saved from suffering. Suffering while on this earth and afterwards. When someone is "saved" they repent from their sins & turn to Jesus Christ and recognize him as their Savior. I accepted Jesus into my heart & life, and vowed to worship & serve him. As long as you have belief in Jesus Christ, you will be "saved"; baptism or not (although I am baptized). "Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?' 'Yes, Lord,” she replied, 'I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.'" (John 11:25-27)
"If you declare with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved." (Romans 10:9-10) I hope this helps explain.

Sending love and blessings,
Katie

Biblically? Romans 10:9-10, John 3:16, 11:25-27, Acts 4:10-12,

To be saved, one must admit that he or she is a sinner, that nothing that they have done merits God's Favor

Repent-Admit wrong doing, and turn from it. Repentance is an important process, and an ongoing one.

Acknowledge-The finished work of Jesus as the sacrifice that God required for your sins, and that you need Jesus in your life as Lord and Savior.

As for Baptism or Eucharist playing a part in Salvation, I havent seen in scripture where it's essential for salvation, rather, that baptism and Eucharist are what naturally follows. Part of the fruits of salvation if you will, like good works. No one(In my opinion) who is saved does good works to be saved, but to show that they are saved. An "attitude of gratitude".

God Bless,
Pat

[/quote]

Evidence for personal salvation:

Luke 24: 46-47, "The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem."

Romans 10:8-13, "But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Ephesians 2:8-10, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

Titus 3:5-7, "he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life."

The internal evidence of salvation:

Romans 8:16, "The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children."

The external evidence of salvation:

Ephesians 4:22-24, "You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."

Titus 2:11-12, "For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age."

God Bless,
Pat

[/quote]

Isn't "personal salvation" an oxymoron?" And Biblical "evidence" is book learning, not experience, eh?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.