How is the Antichrist supposed to rise to power if our world is Christian-dominated?

I don’t get how the Antichrist would have so much influence in the future. If Christians are aware of the Antichrist’s eventual arrival, how would they fall prey to his influence? Our world is Christian dominated so I can’t see how it would allow the Antichrist to rise to power. Furthermore, why would people believe that the Antichrist is the Messiah? Who would believe these, especially with the knowledge from the Bible that the Antichrist will try to portray himself as Christ? The Jews, possibly? In that they do not believe Jesus is the Messiah so by observing the Antichrist performing supernatural wonders, they would be convinced that this is the true Christ?

EDIT: I think I should make it clear that what I mean by “Christian dominated” is that Christianity has a large influence over the West, who are the leading powers in the world today.

Uhm, huh? How much is Earth population? 8 billion? Ok, 7,346,235,000. To be accurate And how many Christians? 3 billion? As of the early 21st century, “Christianity has approximately 2.4 billion adherents”. Less than 50%. Maybe he already won when he got 50+1%. And how much influence does Christianity have over culture in terms of popularity? ……… The road is open!
Plus… I dunno… he’s the Antichrist, the devil helps him with his ways. He will trick many Christians too. Seriously, I don’t worry about the Antichrist not being capable to rise to power! :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I don’t worry much about him rising too. It’s like… it is going to happen. Why worry now?

No, it’s not, not even close. And even if it were, we’re told he will fool many.

“Christian dominated”. Not even close.

At this moment, “nones” as they call them are the fastest rising “religion”. It is actually just not having a religion.

The saints say the Great Catholic monarch is to come before the Antichrist. Then, most of the world will be devout Catholics. Then, slowly the world will lose its fervor. The Antichrist will come as one of the Jews and claim to be the Messiah. The Jews will believe him, including many others who will be astonished at the “miracles” he will perform. He will be terrible and violent to those who refuse to convert.

St. Hildegard of Bingen says:

“After the birth of Antichrist heretics will preach their false doctrines undisturbed, resulting in Christians having doubts about their holy Catholic faith.”

“After his birth false teachers and doctrines will appear, followed by wars, famines, and pestilence. His mother will seldom let anyone see him, and yet by magic art, she will manage to gain the love of the people for him.”

“When he has grown to full manhood he will publicly announce a hostile doctrine on religion. He will lure and attract the people to himself by granting them complete exemption from the observance of all divine and ecclesiastical commandments, by forgiving them their sins and requiring of them only their belief in his divinity. He will spurn and reject baptism and the gospel. He will open his mouth to preach contradiction. He will say, ‘Jesus of Nazareth is not the son of God, only a deceiver who gave himself out as God; and the Church instituted by him is only superstition.’ The true Christ has come in his person. He will say, ‘I am the Saviour of the world.’

He will grant entire freedom from the commandments of God and the Church and permit everyone to live as his passions dictate. By doing so he hopes to be acknowledged by the people as deliverer from the yoke, and as the cause of prosperity in the world. Religion he will endeavor to make convenient. He will say that you need not fast and embitter your life by renunciation…It will suffice to love God…He will preach free love and tear asunder family ties. He will scorn everything holy, and he will ridicule all graces of the Church with devilish mockery. He will condemn humility and foster proud and gruesome dogmas. He will tear down that which God has taught in the Old and New Testament and maintain sin and vice are not sin and vice…”

“He will ally himself with the kings, the princes and the powerful ones of the earth; he will condemn humility and will extol all the doctrines of pride. His magic art will feign the most astonishing prodigies…”

By “Christian dominated” i’m not speaking in terms of numericals. I have edited the post. @angel12 @CapitalistCatholic

Not worrying, just interested in these topics.

Interesting read. Thank you @misstherese!

“The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.” 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12

Those who have refused to believe in Jesus will be deceived. Many “Christians” are Christians in name only. They neither know the scripture or follow closely after Jesus. So to say that most of the world is Christian, is not correct. Many “believe”–but the word “believe” in the New Testament means to put your faith in and to trust in. It doesn’t mean a vague belief in Christ’s existence. So that separates the Christians in name only from the true Christians who have put their faith and trust in Jesus.

My own feeling is that anti-Christ, should such a personality arise, will appear to be very religious and respectful initially. He/She may well be in the guise of a devout Christian, but one who seeks to implement their own version of Christianity by force eventually. They will supposedly preach the Word, proclaim Jesus to the hills, but underlying it all will be an agenda for dominance and a clearing away of all they deem to be false in religion. A one world government and a one world religion will previal. None of this will fool those who are cloaked with the Holy Spirit.

My personal beliefs on all this are that the passages dealing with such things are speaking of events already past.

Actually our world is Muslim dominated and the rest is full of non practicing Catholics.

20% of Catholics attend Mass regularly and 88% use some form of contraception.

The rest of Christendom is divided in doctrine that’s why there are 38,000 different Protestant denominations.

The rest of the world is dominated by other monotheistic religions, pagans, agnostics and unbelievers.

Most powerful nation’s have legal abortion and separation of Church and state.

It’s a lot of factors.

Lukewarm Catholics are our own worst enemy because they weaken the Church on with Catholic in name politicians.

The west is over secularized so it is easy to imagine how it can be easily influenced in any direction. Christians are very much a minority. Besides, the west is not what it used to be. At the peak of the Industrial Revolution, yes no doubt nobody could oppose it, but now the power balance is arguably shifted to include Asian nations.

Our world is Christian dominated?
No, it’s not.

As far as I am aware the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the baker, but it was a narrow ruling.

Just because people get Baptized, doesn’t mean they will follow Jesus.

If the world was full of genuine Christians, we wouldn’t have so much crime, abuse, prisons, etc.

The anti-Christ, like all anti-Christs, will appeal to men and the times, as to take advantage of our fears, desires, insecurities, and instead of defending, encouraging, demonstrating faith, he will defend, encourage, demonstrate self empowerment and individualism, which actually unites ungodliness boldly.

All anti-Christs are already at work demoralizing and causing harm to the Church.

Eventually, the Church will look so unappealing, that men will have contempt for her. Even her Holy Teachings.

rcwitness

14m

The anti-Christ, like all anti-Christs, will appeal to men and the times, as to take advantage of our fears, desires, insecurities, and instead of defending, encouraging, demonstrating faith, he will defend, encourage, demonstrate self empowerment and individualism, which actually unites ungodliness boldly.

All anti-Christs are already at work demoralizing and causing harm to the Church.

Eventually, the Church will look so unappealing, that men will have contempt for her. Even her Holy Teachings.

I’d say that pretty well sums up the state of the Catholic church now

I agree they are likely to promote individualism and hedonism especially since those things are so appealing to the carnal appetites. I have read a few books written by someone who encourages exactly those things but shrouded in a new age pseudo religious spirituality. And what’s more I’m not even sure that this person understands exactly what they’re doing themselves. Perhaps that is the way it will be, rather than being a sublime actor.

I think we must persist in pointing people back to the Holy Bible it may contain some unpalatable truths and following Christ is certainly the ultimate challenge but it leads to Life.

In the language of The book of Revelation I think that person would be someone who has the mark on their hand but not the forehead.

Yes that’s a good description.
I myself read this persons first book, it was convincing and written by someone who seemed to be naive and without guile, so I read the second and then the third, then the fourth, then the prayer book, then the fifth. And so on. It took a long time before I noticed a crack or two because it was mixed with the Truth from the Bible and many other places such as folklore and mythology. But things didn’t stack up, why write so many books which regurgitated the same ideas over and over with some new discrepancies here and there. Why a new prayer book when we have possibly thousands already. So just from a financial standpoint there was a flaw. But perhaps the biggest clue was when this person became an ambassador for something grand sounding, it made the person seem special and chosen by merit to receive such a honour, until I researched It and found that anyone can receive this title by paying for it. The person who had spoken of humility had paid for a title for self aggrandisement and to be perceived as authentic. The bubble popped!

I think the bubble popped for you Lee1 but most of the world are entering and enlarging it. I see a trend of claiming the gifts that Christ gave to human society through the Church. A refusing to give Christianity credit for the gifts that they want to retain (social institutions and structures) and giving credit to the ones they want to reject ( morals ).so as to make the conscience formed by the teaching of the Church obsolete and ripe for deadening. Today even the Christian conscience is imaged as a beast good only for tossing into the forgotten past. The author of the books you read sounds like part of that whether aware of it or not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.