How is the Lord's Eucharistic Body absorbed into ours?

Occassionally I have seen protestants attack the Eucharist by trying to imply something extremely crude about our Lord’s Body and the human body’s natural digestive process.

I have never dignified these questions with a response, but it has made me think that there is something extremely beautiful and profound, about how our Lord’s body is absorbed into into our very core. I just can’t adequately put my thoughts into words, could you help? Or could you point me to some theologians who have contemplated on what is actually happening after we receive Our Lord in the Eucharist.

Dear B,

Actually, when the stomach acids chemically change the accidents (appearances) of bread and wine into somehting else, the real presence of the Lord leaves. This takes about ten to fifteen minutes. So much for the reasoning of detractors and so much for your edifying thoughts!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.