How is the Old Testament between the three Abrahamic Faiths?

What are some differences between the Christian, Muslim, and Jewish versions of the Old Testament?

Please be respectful.

Islam does not accept the the Old Testament books although the Koran borrows heavily from both the Old and New Testaments.

Jews do not call it the Old Testament since, for them, it is the only testament. They call the books the Hebrew Bible or Tanakh. From what I understand, Muslims believe that the Hebrew Bible is corrupted despite the painstaking care taken in transcribing it. However, Muslims also derive many of their own ideas found in the Qur’an from those that appear in the Hebrew Bible. While Christians believe and study the Hebrew Bible, they also believe that Jesus fulfilled many of the Torah (Pentateuch) commandments, particularly the portion often referred to erroneously as legalistic, by means of His life, death and resurrection.

What he said. :thumbsup:

IMO, this is what saddens me. There is no doubt Jews love God with all their heart, mind, soul and strength. There is absolutely no reason at all why there would be corruption. :shrug:

MJ

Moslems believe that every Prophet from Adam to Jesus (whom they view as merely a prophet) was actually a Moslem.

Moslems also believe that the last prophet who revealed this information 6 centuries after the time of Christ had God (whom they typically call “Allah”, from the Arabic word for God) speak directly into his ear word for word, even on rather personal matters such as how his guests were to behave in his house or were not ever to marry any of his wives (Surah 33:53).

Whether Jesus the man and prophet is considered from the Old Testament for Muslims? :hmmm:

Just wondering. :slight_smile:

MJ

It’s late lol.

Although I can’t say whether Moslems would say that Jesus was foretold. I think they would argue that Muhammad was foretold in Deuteronomy 18:15 (not that this verse was listen in the Koran, but it is vaguely referenced that Muhammad was foretold in the Hebrew Scriptures).

The Jewish Tanakh is basically the shorter, Protestant, version of the Old Testament. See the Masoretic Text for an introduction. AIUI there are no major differences between the Masoretic Text and the (Protestant) OT text. The differences are in the interpretation of the text – the Talmud.

HTH

rossum

I find it telling that said verse is quoted by Peter in our Christian Bible. Yet no one in Islam quotes any Scripture… for centuries.

Indeed:D

MJ

As another respondent noted, Islam considers that we Jews & Christians have corrupted the scriptures to the disadvantage of Islam. For example: Islam holds that it was Ishmael, not Isaac, whom God told Abraham to sacrifice. Islam traces its descent through Ishmael.

I do not believe a committed Islamic can live peacefully with Christianity, due to the way Islam has been taught in the last centuries. As now taught, Suras 5 and 9 of the Q’ran specifically forbid it: All imams of all Islam-ic sects accept these two as the last-written and over-ridingly authoritative. Thus, Islam teaches that the world is divided into “The House of Islam” and “The House of War”, and Islam is missioned to unite them. The problem is that violence is being used toward that end – even though earlier parts of the Q’ran (sort of) forbid the use of violence to spread Islam: Consider the situation of non-Islamics in Mosul today, who are being told to convert or die (as required by Shari’a).

Some have argued that Islam’s closing of the Holy Land to Christians, at the end of the Middle Ages, was not violence or aggression against Christianity, so therefore the resulting violence (the Crusades to reopen the Holy Land) was unprovoked and demonstrates a defect of Christianity.

Christians should keep in mind that Islam does not acknowledge any difference between political and religious government. Any government that does not run by, and enforce, the teachings of Islam – as currently understood by the imams (in whatever century you choose for “currently”) – is a government in opposed to Allah and all good Muslims must take action to replace it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.