How is this covered?

My wife was raised Protestant. My child was Baptised in a Protestant church in 2000. Since then, I have become a practicing Catholic again, and my wife is in the process of tranferring to the Catholic church (going through class as a practicing Christian). We are all listed on the Church census for our Parish, which does not have a school. When we tried to register my son in a Catholic School at another Catholic Parish today, the principle told us she was not sure my son qualified as a Catholic since he was not Baptised Catholic. I understand that he cannot be Baptised again, and he is not seven years old yet, so he does not qualify to choose for himself.

My question is, how is this covered and where is it in writing? Shouldn’t my son qualify as Catholic due to the fact that his parents are since he is only five.

She said she would have to get a ruling from the Parish Preist. I cannot be the first person to have come across this. Will my son be caught in limbo until he is seven? Is this covered anywhere in writing? I would like to believe, that because I am Catholic and he is only five, that he is considered Catholic as well. I respect the Preist and whatever he see fit, but I would also like to see this covered somewhere in Catholic law.

Thanks, Mike

Dear Mike,

The fact that you have returned to the Church and your wife is in the RCIA should qualify your son for attending a Catholic School. But the fact that you do not belong to the parish which has the school could be the real reason that they are giving you a hard time. Other than that, I am at a loss as to why they won’t accept him.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.