How is this done?

I’m wondering if anyone can explain how “through the law I am dead to the law, that I might live for God” of Galatians 2:19 works. How does one through the law become dead to the law, that he, or she, might live for God?

Hi, Edward!

…I think that for a better understanding we must expand the passage:

St. Paul is retelling an experience when he had to challenge the erroneous behavior of the Believers… Cephas, among others, would, out of respect for the converts that would come from Jerusalem, uphold the Old Covenant mandates (circumcision, separation from others…); so he checks them… the function of the Law was to keep God’s people from sinning… yet all of the Law had to remain unbroken (from the 10 Commandments to the Mosaic Law) in order for man to remain sinless.

On verse 16 he further challenges… we are not Justified by the works of the Law but by our Faith in Jesus Christ.

So knowing that the Law does not Justify and that by returning to a life of sin we are, in essence, rejecting Christ… we make ourselves the transgressors… (verses 17-18)

…by putting away the Law we are free to Fellowship according to God’s Command (v. 19); in Jesus.

The Law serves to remind us of sin and our sinful past; removing the hold of the Law (do not do “xyz;” do “fgh”) we find Salvation/Rescue in Christ’s Death and Resurrection–we are Justified by Faith in Christ Jesus; that’s what gives Glory to God, not our fear of transgressing the Law–verses 20-21.

Maran atha!

Angel

The NABre note to that portion of Scripture adds a bit of clarity. “[2:19] Through the law I died to the law: this is variously explained: the law revealed sin (Rom 7:7–9) and led to death and then to belief in Christ; or, the law itself brought the insight that law cannot justify (Gal 2:16; Ps 143:2); or, the “law of Christ” (Gal 6:2) led to abandoning the Mosaic law; or, the law put Christ to death (cf. Gal 3:13) and so provided a way to our salvation, through baptism into Christ, through which we die (crucified with Christ; see Rom 6:6). Cf. also Gal 3:19–25 on the role of the law in reference to salvation.”
I’m still trying to get full clarity.
God’s Word translation puts it like this; “When I tried to obey the laws in the Scriptures, those laws killed me. As a result, I live in a relationship with God. I have been crucified with Christ.”
There has to be a simplicity to this I’m just not grasping.
Thank you Angel for your response.

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 19. He here expresses the change which had been wrought in him. The law to which he had been attached, had passed away from him. Now he was so united to Christ and his cross, that he says: Not I, but Christ liveth in me. The strong expressions made use of by St. Paul with regard to the Jewish law in this chapter, may appear strange, and very capable of a wrong interpretation. But we must ever bear in mind that St. Paul speaks exclusively of the ceremonial part of the law, and not of the moral, contained in the decalogue: of this latter he says in his epistle to the Romans, (ii. 13.) the doers of the law shall be justified. But to effect this, was and is necessary the grace which Jesus Christ has merited and obtained for all, grace which God has shed on all, more or less, from the commencement of the world.

By getting crucified with Christ

Galatians 2:19 “For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ”

The Law here is the Commandment, precepts and ordinances of the OT Jews;

Exodus 15:26
Saying: If thou wilt hear the voice of the Lord thy God, and do what is right before him, and obey his commandments, and keep all his precepts, none of the evils that I laid upon Egypt, will I bring upon thee: for I am the Lord thy healer

These and the Moral Laws written on our hearts

Ezeckiel 43:11
And be ashamed of all that they have done. Shew them the form of the house, and of the fashion thereof, the goings out and the comings in, and the whole plan thereof, and all its ordinances, and all its order, and all its laws, and thou shalt write it in their sight: that they may keep the whole form thereof, and its ordinances, and do them

Hebrews 8:10
For this is the testament which I will make to the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord: I will give my laws into their mind, and in their heart will I write them: and I will be their God, and they shall be my people:

These LAWS are opposed to man’s natural tendencies to sin, because of our Pride and Lust.

So the passage you question is saying that we MUST [if we desire to be saved] deny our very selves

Luke 9:23
And he said to all: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Matthew 10:38
And he that taketh not up his cross, and followeth me, is not worthy of me

GBY

GREAT Photo:thumbsup:

Luke 9:23
And he said to all: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Matthew 10:38
And he that taketh not up his cross, and followeth me, is not worthy of me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.