How is your family celebrating St. Patrick's Day?

Share your family fun!

We had a huge dinner at my parent’s house last night… corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, etc… Mmmmmm so good!

This morning the LEPRECHAUNS came and made mischief all over our house!
Our MILK was turned GREEN!
And the little bugger’s even peed (green) in our toilets :eek: (our kids think this is HILARIOUS!)…
(It’s amazing what a few drops of food coloring can do! ;))

How 'bout at your house? Any family fun?

Céad Míle Fáilte!

I’m not nearly as creative… . I do have green “christmas” style lights around my desk today at work. Guess there were visitors here over the weekend!

This year because Holy Week supercedes all feast days St. Patrick’s feast day is not celebrated or it was moved to March 14 in the USA (and Mar 15 in Ireland).

Each diocese could decide whether or not to move the Feast and celebrate it (for those diocese with St Patrick as their principle patron or where it is customarily celebrated as a solemnity) or to follow the liturgical calendar which would mean it is not celebrated this year.

We did not celebate St Patrick’s Day.

That’s why we had our big Corned Beef dinner on Sunday night (I don’t know why the US moved it back to a FRIDAY… especially when the traditional dinner is BEEF!? :shrug:)… ah well!

Nothing here, either. I think they may do something at school today, but with all the confusion, I just avoided it all this year :slight_smile:

That’s why we had our big Corned Beef dinner on Sunday night (I don’t know why the US moved it back to a FRIDAY… especially when the traditional dinner is BEEF!? )… ah well!

Actually, it’s only in the USA that corned beef is eaten. In Ireland itself, it was bacon (not cut in slices), which of course the local delicatessens didn’t have.

Nothing here, due to three of us being sick, including Mom. Now I see I am justified in not celebrating it, due to the above post regarding its being moved. :smiley:

Yeah, I know it’s not a tradition in Ireland… hence even why I’m more confused why the US moved it to a Friday???
:shrug:

Tonight I am working at my bosses annual March Madness party… I have to spend St Patricks day away from my Irish children. I am not happy, but we all do what we have to to keep food on the table. So i will be spending my time with a bunch of drunk rich people, some of whom think it is ok to make passes at me or get me to reveal my numbering system to them ( for betting) of course, I don’t bet… I write the random number generator into our spreadsheets.

Well, we decided to be a bit Irish and a bit US. I chose to do the corned beef and cabbage (and potatoes and carrots) with wheat free Irish soda bread Saturday evening. This is the traditional dinner my family has had since I knew about it.

You do have to know that the feast of St. Joseph in the US was transferred as well, from the 19 (isn’t it the 19th normally?) to Saturday the !5th?

When my girls were little though, they got green milk and green, four leaf clover pancakes for breakfast. My husband’s work is having a pot-luck today with the theme of “green foods” so he made deviled eggs and died both the yolk filling and the egg whites themselves green (he definitely isn’t much into “looks” as I think the green filling would pop out more if the whites were still white :D)

Brenda V.

We’ll I had corned-beef & cabbage yesteday but that’s the extent of my celebrating. :shrug:

I’ll be spending tonight at music rehearsals for Holy Week services. :harp:

Counting yesteday, I’ll be at church this week 6 out of 8 days. Tht included my daughter’s choir rehearsal, my stuff, and 7 liturgies.
:juggle:

This is why we go out to eat on Easter! :smiley:

Corned beef, etc. last night with friends…
Corned beef, etc. tonight with family…
(I have Irish heritage and don’t like corned beef, but don’t tell anyone :wink: :p)
Wearing my green sweatshirt today…

And of course, remembering the actual St. Patrick and what a warrior of love he was for Jesus. Certainly someone to emulate…

With that, an Irish Blessing upon your day:

“May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.”
(from islandireland.com/Pages/folk/sets/bless.html)

…and some words from St. Patrick that are sure to help us all:

“I came to the Irish people to preach the Gospel and endure the taunts of unbelievers, putting up with reproaches about my earthly pilgrimage, suffering many persecutions, even bondage, and losing my birthright of freedom for the benefit of others.
If I am worthy, I am ready also to give up my life, without hesitation and most willingly, for Christ’s name. I want to spend myself for that country, even in death, if the Lord should grant me this favor.
It is among that people that I want to wait for the promise made by him, who assuredly never tells a lie. He makes this promise in the Gospel: “They shall come from the east and west and sit down with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.” This is our faith: believers are to come from the whole world.”
~from the Confession of Saint Patrick

“Christ shield me this day:
Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every person who thinks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.”

~Saint Patrick, from his breastplate

(from saints.sqpn.com/saintp01.htm)

:shamrock2:
Why a shamrock?
Patrick used the shamrock to explain the Trinity, and has been associated with him and the Irish since that time.
(source: catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=89)

:smiley:

I didn’t know that…our parish is still having a Mass in honor of St. Joseph on Wednesday…:shrug:

Wow! How wonderful! :smiley:

The tradition dinner is actually called ‘boiling bacon’ and it’s pork, not beef.

Corned beef is a substitute that was available to the Irish in US cities like New York and Boston.

And the bishops moved it to Friday because Saturday was the Solemnity of St. Joseph. That overrides any thought of what was for dinner.

So we celebrated the Memorial of St. Patrick on Friday by going to noon Mass, and in the evening by going to the local K of C for the fish fry. Exactly how St. Patrick would want it.

Wearing green, of course :slight_smile:

Later today, perhaps a reading with the kids about the REAL St. Patrick, and learning a little about him.

And tonight, I plan on having a Guinness ice cream float, as seen in “Martha Stewart Living.” I was just too intrigued NOT to try this!

S.

My MIL grew up in Ireland and the corned beef she eats comes out of a can:eek: . Boiled bacon does not appeal to me so its corned beef. My Hubby wont eat boiled cabbage becuase back in the UK his Nan was a bargain shopper and there were slugs in her boiled cabbage and he is pretty much scarred for life especially since the HAD to clean thier plates. My daughter has a music program tonight so that is what we are doing.

We’re not.

Just a bunch of Germans, a couple of English, one Frenchman and one Native American in my family tree.

My wife’s ancestors are all good German Lutherans, but she had the insight to convert.

The pastor at our church is an older gent who was born and raised in Ireland and came to the US in the 60’s. His name is
Monsignor Patrick. He always pokes that Saint Patrick was the greatest of them all. :smiley: He has planned our parish confession night for tonight. Thirteen priests hearing confessions tonight. He said tonight we drive the snakes out of the parish. :rotfl: So we are going to confession tonight.

Green clothes, green beer, roasted corn beef, potatoes with butter and parsley and fried sweet and sour cabbage. Creme de Menthe parfait for dessert.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.