How long does it take to hear back from a religious order?

I contacted a religious order expressing interest in learning more about them over week ago by sending and emailing and calling multiple times and leaving a message and haven't heard back from them. How long is a normal amount of time to wait before you hear back from a religious community expressing interest you would like to know more about them. I'm getting a little discouraged.

First of all, do not get discouraged! That is one of Satan's biggest tools!! Have hope in Christ, even when hope doesn't make sense. Think of Christ on the cross, the ultimate reason for discouragement, but they had hope and look at what God did with that. Sometimes they just can't make it to a computer for a while or maybe they have gotten quite a lot of emails in the past little while and are having a hard time answering them all. Only God knows the reason right now, but remember that God knows.

JMJ+
~Betsy

Totus tuus Maria! Let's see what the good God wills

God bless you for taking that step! I don't think there's an average time period for them to get back to you. Some communities are tech savvy, with vocation directors carrying around Blackberries so they can respond immediately - others may not even have a vocations director, and therefore you may not hear back from them for some time. Just continue to pray, and if it's God's will that this order is for you, trust that He will set things in motion!

Some religious orders can take a very long time to return your first message. I suggest you send them an email or phone call once a week (but no more) until they return your message.
May God bless you on your vocation. Take care.

i got a response from a monastic community after, i think, three months (gee i really forgot that is sent them a letter!)

i sent an email to another community and they replied the next day.

i would highly recommend phone call or personal visits. but if you can't call or visit, you may write them a letter. i do think it's not bad and they will surely understand.:thumbsup:

prayers for you!

i got a response from a monastic community after, i think, three months (gee i really forgot that is sent them a letter!)

i sent an email to another community and they replied the next day.

i would highly recommend phone call or personal visits. but if you can't call or visit, you may write them a letter. i do think it's not bad and they will surely understand.

prayers for you!

Well, while we do live in a society of instant communication and instant satisfaction, I'm sure that many orders do not. A week in their lives is nothing and the calling you have to serve should not be discouraged in so short amount of time. Be patient, your calling is not going away and neither is this order. They will contact you soon, I'm sure.

My advice, don't be a pest, call once a week and pray!:)

My experiance (so far) is that whilst Many communites that work in the world e.g. Dommnicans, Jesuits and Norbertines are pretty tech savvy the really traditional monastic orders whilst having an externally managed website will not have any instant communications tech on-site, hence a possiable long wait whilst your letter gets there, they consider, make decision, send a reply to you. Makes you realise how accustomed one is to email.

It is possible that their Vocation Director is out of town or to busy to reply right now.
Give them a little time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.