How long does it take to process an application?

How long does it take the convent/seminary to discern an applicant's acceptance into their congregation?

[quote="auderyja, post:1, topic:255366"]
How long does it take the convent/seminary to discern an applicant's acceptance into their congregation?

[/quote]

If the convent/seminary has good organization, they will receive your application and likely set up an entrance interview if they believe you are a potential candidate, or send you a polite non-acceptance letter. If you make it to the interview stage, you probably can ask at the end about how long it will take to hear back, if they have not already mentioned it at the end. .

I’m not sure which part of the process you’re referring to. There are, after all, many stages;

Initial contact
Ongoing correspondence
First face-to-face visit
Residential stay(s)
Ongoing mutual discernment
Formal written application
Interviews and test/examinations
Final interview panel

These stages will obviously vary somewhat from one seminary or religious institute to another, as will the length of time involved for each stage. In my case the total time was around 18 months, but it could take significantly less time :), or it could take much longer.:eek:

Do you have a more specific question?

Best wishes.

[quote="Madaglan, post:2, topic:255366"]
If the convent/seminary has good organization, they will receive your application and likely set up an entrance interview if they believe you are a potential candidate, or send you a polite non-acceptance letter. If you make it to the interview stage, you probably can ask at the end about how long it will take to hear back, if they have not already mentioned it at the end. .

[/quote]

[quote="Ocarm, post:3, topic:255366"]
I'm not sure which part of the process you're referring to. There are, after all, many stages;

Initial contact
Ongoing correspondence
First face-to-face visit
Residential stay(s)
Ongoing mutual discernment
Formal written application
Interviews and test/examinations
Final interview panel

These stages will obviously vary somewhat from one seminary or religious institute to another, as will the length of time involved for each stage. In my case the total time was around 18 months, but it could take significantly less time :), or it could take much longer.:eek:

Do you have a more specific question?

Best wishes.

[/quote]

To both your answers, I have done the interview, psyche test, live-in at the convent, health tests etc. I've also submitted my autobiography as requested.

So Ocarm, it took you 18 months? The vocation directress said it varies - around six months, more or less. I'm getting anxious. :shrug:

So I'm wondering about your experiences or knowledge on such application.

[quote="auderyja, post:4, topic:255366"]
To both your answers, I have done the interview, psyche test, live-in at the convent, health tests etc. I've also submitted my autobiography as requested.

[/quote]

So you're quite advanced in the process, then. Good news.

So Ocarm, it took you 18 months? The vocation directress said it varies - around six months, more or less. I'm getting anxious. :shrug:

[/quote]

Yup. A big chunk of that was waiting for novitiate to commence, however, since they only start once per year (at most). I was accepted some months before I actually began a permanent life with the order.

If the institute you've applied to have given you an estimate, then that's the best guide; but these things rarely run according to a strict timetable, and so it's best not to read too much into anything. Can you call and ask if an answer is in sight, or does that seem too forward?

So I'm wondering about your experiences or knowledge on such application.

[/quote]

What I know is that it takes as long as it takes. :o Not much help, but it's true.

I realise how stressful this is, having been there myself. But one lesson I have learned about religious life, and about life more generally, is that we have to try and appreciate the now, and take good things from it, whenever we can. I've seen other religious wishing their lives away, not enjoying the present but convinced that when they reach the next stage - whatever that is - then they'll be happy. Of course we all experience impatience, but it helps to try and find some balance.

There are often gifts to be found in the here-and-now, if we pray hard and open ourselves up to them. Perhaps this wait is a means by which you are becoming more aware of just how much you want this vocation. :)

Prayers and best wishes.

[quote="Ocarm, post:5, topic:255366"]
So you're quite advanced in the process, then. Good news.

Yup. A big chunk of that was waiting for novitiate to commence, however, since they only start once per year (at most). I was accepted some months before I actually began a permanent life with the order.

If the institute you've applied to have given you an estimate, then that's the best guide; but these things rarely run according to a strict timetable, and so it's best not to read too much into anything. Can you call and ask if an answer is in sight, or does that seem too forward?

What I know is that it takes as long as it takes. :o Not much help, but it's true.

I realise how stressful this is, having been there myself. But one lesson I have learned about religious life, and about life more generally, is that we have to try and appreciate the now, and take good things from it, whenever we can. I've seen other religious wishing their lives away, not enjoying the present but convinced that when they reach the next stage - whatever that is - then they'll be happy. Of course we all experience impatience, but it helps to try and find some balance.

There are often gifts to be found in the here-and-now, if we pray hard and open ourselves up to them. Perhaps this wait is a means by which you are becoming more aware of just how much you want this vocation. :)

Prayers and best wishes.

[/quote]

Thank you for your helpful insight! God bless u!

As said before it varies. At times some stages are even done once one is a candiate / postulant. I had the full one-on-one interview and psych test as a candidate. I had visited (with a brief interview) and filled out the paperwork but lived a few thousand miles away. And we do all the pysch tests then as we can get the psychologist to come to us rather than going to him as the best one we found isn't right beside the novitiate.

I agree with the idea that any estimate the order gave you is abov anything we say here.

God bless.

Br Matthew, LC

Sorry, I should have mentioned it in m first post but my application process was really quick. I made first contact as a vocational prospect in mid-february (I had known some Legionary priests in ministry but not in that way). I visited on St Patrick's day weekend and I became a candidate on June 6th. Yes, under 4 months from first contact to candidate. I know that is probably a little out of the ordinary but that was how it happened.

God bless.

Br Matthew, LC

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.