How long one has to wait to receive Pauline Privilege?

I was in a natural marriage before, never married in the Church, never baptised (the same is with my ex). I divorced years ago. I want to marry a catholic woman now, so I filled request for Pauline Privilege. The procedure at the local church has finished, they say that it's all OK (the marriage will be annulled) and all the papers are now sent to the Vatican for signing.

Could you tell me how long should I have to wait to receive Pauline Privilege in "Favor of the Faith"? It's been more than 6 months now that the papers have been sent. :( :(

I presume the timeframe will be based on how backed up the Vactican is with annulments. But you refer to Pauline Privilge, when means neither party was baptised. So once they get to your paper work it should go quickly. As a person must be a baptised Christian (Catholic or protestant) to enter into a sacrament.

I will pray for you.

ok, I am confused.

As I understand the Pauline Privalege, it disolves a natural marriage contracted between two unbaptized persons. The privalege is granted after one of the two converts and is baptized. The OP lists his religion as 'athiest' which would imply that his ex-wife is the one who has been baptized, right? Wouldn't the Pauline Privalege paperwork usually have been initiated by her since she is the one who is baptized now? Maybe that's why there's a longer than expected time involved.

The idea of a Pauline Privalege is the primacy of a sacramental marriage over a natural one. If the OP is an athiest and marries a Catholic, he still won't be in a sacramental marriage.

[quote="beth40n2, post:2, topic:216420"]
I presume the timeframe will be based on how backed up the Vactican is with annulments. But you refer to Pauline Privilge, when means neither party was baptised. So once they get to your paper work it should go quickly. As a person must be a baptised Christian (Catholic or protestant) to enter into a sacrament.

I will pray for you.

[/quote]

I know the things you said. I wanted to know if there is anyone in similar situation and how long it took from papers leaving his church until returning to his church from Rome. I hope someone is or was in a similar situation.

PS. thanks for praying ;)

[quote="Corki, post:3, topic:216420"]
ok, I am confused.

As I understand the Pauline Privalege, it disolves a natural marriage contracted between two unbaptized persons. The privalege is granted after one of the two converts and is baptized. The OP lists his religion as 'athiest' which would imply that his ex-wife is the one who has been baptized, right? Wouldn't the Pauline Privalege paperwork usually have been initiated by her since she is the one who is baptized now? Maybe that's why there's a longer than expected time involved.

The idea of a Pauline Privalege is the primacy of a sacramental marriage over a natural one. If the OP is an athiest and marries a Catholic, he still won't be in a sacramental marriage.

[/quote]

When I said atheist, I meant "not baptised" so I changed it.

The PP is asked in favor of faith of my future wife and I will be released of natural marriage because of her religion. I don't think it has anything with me or my ex wife. And yes, I will be baptised, not because I have to, but because I want to :).

[quote="tony974, post:5, topic:216420"]
When I said atheist, I meant "not baptised" so I changed it.

The PP is asked in favor of faith of my future wife and I will be released of natural marriage because of her religion. I don't think it has anything with me or my ex wife. And yes, I will be baptised, not because I have to, but because I want to :).

[/quote]

Ok. But from everythng I can find, the Pauline Privalege can't be granted until one of the parties of the first natural marriage has been baptized. Unless your ex is now baptized, could they be waiting for your baptism to be completed?

[quote="Corki, post:6, topic:216420"]
Ok. But from everythng I can find, the Pauline Privalege can't be granted until one of the parties of the first natural marriage has been baptized. Unless your ex is now baptized, could they be waiting for your baptism to be completed?

[/quote]

She's baptised and I am waiting for the procedure to start after the PP comes. Now I'm confused :confused:

[quote="tony974, post:7, topic:216420"]
She's baptised and I am waiting for the procedure to start after the PP comes. Now I'm confused :confused:

[/quote]

Why would you wait for the PP before starting RCIA? Ideally, you want to be baptized before you marry your current intended so that your marriage will be sacramental. (you also won't need dispensation if you are both Catholic when you marry)

Much of what I know about the Pauline Privalege comes from sources such as this:

catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=7272

According to the Church’s interpretation, the dissolution of a marriage that was contracted before the conversion and baptism of one of the parties does not take place upon mere separation of the parties, but only when a new marriage was entered into by the believer invoking this privilege.

Because the prist told me so. First PP, then baptism, then sacramental marriage. I doubt he was wrong about it :).

Actually if your ex- has been baptized and you plan to become baptized you probably wouldn’t qualify for the Pauline Privilege. I had my first marriage dissolved by the Pauline Privilege and I not only had to prove neither my ex or I had been previously baptized but I also had to “prove” he had not been baptized since and had no plans to ever be baptized (thankfully he was willing to fill out a form stating this). I received approval for the Pauline Privlege in a matter of weeks, but the diocese would not send the papers to my priest saying I was free to marry until after my baptism at the Easter Vigil.

I was told by my priest to receive the Pauline Privilege we had to both be unbaptized, my ex- had to remain unbaptized, the fall of our marriage had to be the fault of my ex (easy to prove as he left to move into his girlfriends house), I had to be baptized and I had a to contract a new marriage with a baptized Christian who was free to marry in the catholic church and it had to happen in that order (it is actually the last step, marrying someone who is free to marry and entering a sacramental marriage with them that dissolves the first marriage).

Also Pauline Privilege is not sent to Rome for approval, it is approved in your local diocese (much like an annulment is handled within your local diocese). The Petrine Privlege is sent to Rome for approval.

catholichawaii.org/staticpages/index.php/20071106151211268

"For the Pauline privilege to be invoked, it must be proven that both parties were unbaptized at the time of the marriage and that only one party has received baptism. In this case, it must be clear that the other party does not wish to receive baptism and wishes to depart from marital life (or wishes to remain departed if the parties are already civilly divorced). The party who has been baptized may not, however, be the cause of the separation after the baptism has taken place.

The Pauline privilege is distinct from a declaration of nullity. Pauline privilege is a privilege of the faith that dissolves a valid natural marriage, while a declaration of nullity, if issued, states that a marriage was invalid from the beginning."

[quote="Corki, post:8, topic:216420"]
Why would you wait for the PP before starting RCIA? Ideally, you want to be baptized before you marry your current intended so that your marriage will be sacramental. (you also won't need dispensation if you are both Catholic when you marry)

Much of what I know about the Pauline Privalege comes from sources such as this:

catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=7272

[/quote]

[quote="mswood, post:10, topic:216420"]
Actually if your ex- has been baptized and you plan to become baptized you probably wouldn't qualify for the Pauline Privilege. I had my first marriage dissolved by the Pauline Privilege and I not only had to prove neither my ex or I had been previously baptized but I also had to "prove" he had not been baptized since and had no plans to ever be baptized (thankfully he was willing to fill out a form stating this). I received approval for the Pauline Privlege in a matter of weeks, but the diocese would not send the papers to my priest saying I was free to marry until after my baptism at the Easter Vigil.

I was told by my priest to receive the Pauline Privilege we had to both be unbaptized, my ex- had to remain unbaptized, the fall of our marriage had to be the fault of my ex (easy to prove as he left to move into his girlfriends house), I had to be baptized and I had a to contract a new marriage with a baptized Christian who was free to marry in the catholic church and it had to happen in that order (it is actually the last step, marrying someone who is free to marry and entering a sacramental marriage with them that dissolves the first marriage).

Also Pauline Privilege is not sent to Rome for approval, it is approved in your local diocese (much like an annulment is handled within your local diocese). The Petrine Privlege is sent to Rome for approval.

catholichawaii.org/staticpages/index.php/20071106151211268

"For the Pauline privilege to be invoked, it must be proven that both parties were unbaptized at the time of the marriage and that only one party has received baptism. In this case, it must be clear that the other party does not wish to receive baptism and wishes to depart from marital life (or wishes to remain departed if the parties are already civilly divorced). The party who has been baptized may not, however, be the cause of the separation after the baptism has taken place.

The Pauline privilege is distinct from a declaration of nullity. Pauline privilege is a privilege of the faith that dissolves a valid natural marriage, while a declaration of nullity, if issued, states that a marriage was invalid from the beginning."

[/quote]

Thanks for a such detailed post :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.