How loud is the call to priesthood?

When I was called back to faith a few years ago, the call was unmistakable. Currently, there are quite a few people asking me if I am considering priesthood. Its definitely flattering, but I haven’t heard that same calling. Do all priests hear that unmistakable calling? How do I know if I am listening or just hearing what I want to hear?

Hi,

I have known priests who discovered that God was calling them by reflecting on the number of people who thought they should study for the priesthood. This did not happen to me. The Lord calls in varied ways. I suggest that you draw nearer to the Lord. Start spending some regular time before the Blessed Sacrament. It doesn’t have to be exposed. Have some quiet time with Him daily in order to listen. We all need to listen to Him are much as we need to speak to Him. If you do this, He will let you know what He wants of you. You are in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.