How many Catholics here are well-versed in science?

I think it’ll be interesting to know how many Catholics here are well-versed in any of the following sciences (i.e. Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and/or any of their derivatives).

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

I don’t know if I’m well versed,but I have a degree in science. (but I will be working in education).

Oh, fascinating. Is the degree “Science”, or a specific field, like “biochemistry”, “nuclear physics”, etc?

And by well-versed, I mean, you could explain a scientific concept of a certain field (most likely the one you’ve studied) fairly well without any problem.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

+JMJ+

I have a Bachelor of Science Degree on Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, and I am a Doctor of Medicine.

God love you.

Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry. Industrial scientist, sometime adjunct professor of chemistry, regular catechist.

:eek:

Ditto. I have a Bachelor’s and a Master’s in Electrical Engineering… but I’ve been doing software configuration management for most of the last 26 years, so I’ve used precious little of the science and math I learned in college.

EE? Thats not science!!! ;):wink: You should try Micro, molecular Bio, etc. Thats what all the cool kids are doing these days :thumbsup:

I studied Biology and Chemistry at A-level (higher than secondary school, just under university level).

I’m now training to be a nurse, so I am continuing to study biology (in illness and health) as well as phamacology.

My mother was a nurse, very scientific, very logical. We have great discussions, because I am dreadful at science. In high school I staggered blindly through science classes, and in college I took the bare minumum. My MA will be in English, and I am the last thing from a science guy.

High School drop out. I don’t even know the proper definition of science. Not something I’m proud of but that’s life. :slight_smile:

When I go back to school I won’t be studying science either, if I can at all help it!!! :wink:

I don’t have a degree, but I love science…especially physics. I am particularly fascinated with the Theory of Relativity, Tesla’s work, and the Theory of Evolution. I’ve read a lot of Einsteins journals translated to English, which was really great if you can comprehend it :cool:.

I studied neuroscience/cognition/perception… mostly about how the brain works. I think I’d be able to explain something about it, the only problem is that i’ve forgotten some terms, since there are hundreds of them, and I don’t actually work in the field.

I studied biology and chemistry, but need help having some questions answered as well as something I would like to post and have explained to me in lay man’s terms. Can anyone here help?

Just post your questions in the forum by starting a new thread in the appropriate place (read the rules). A lot of people are here that answer questions regularly, and can help you get answers.

A significant amount of physics is necessary to be competent in EE.

A significant amount of physics is necessary to be competent in EE.
[/quote]

Even Wikipedia knows that “Engineering is the discipline, art, skill and profession of acquiring and applying scientific, mathematical, economic, social, and practical knowledge to design and build structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes that safely realize improvements to the lives of people.”

The concept of engineering has existed since ancient times as humans devised fundamental inventions such as the pulley, lever, and wheel. Each of these inventions is consistent with the modern definition of engineering, exploiting basic mechanical principles to develop useful tools and objects.

The term *engineering *itself has a much more recent etymology, deriving from the word engineer, which itself dates back to 1325, when an engine’er (literally, one who operates an engine) originally referred to “a constructor of military engines.” In this context, now obsolete, an “engine” referred to a military machine, i.e., a mechanical contraption used in war (for example, a catapult). Notable exceptions of the obsolete usage which have survived to the present day are military engineering corps, e.g., the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

One of my favorite questions to ask folks trying to decide between a career in mechanical engineering or a career in civil engineering is, “do you know what the difference is between the two?” Answer: mechanical engineers build weapons, civil engineers build targets! :smiley:

:rotfl:

M.S in Electrical Engineering and my wife has a Ph.D in Physics

Three engineers were discussing what type of Engineer God was.

The Mechanical Engineer said that God is an M.E. since the human body is really a type of mechanism. The muscles move the arms and legs as levers and the heart is a pump.

The Electrical Engineer said that God as an Electrical Engineer, after all the body is controlled by electrical impluses and the brain is really an electrically based computer.

The Civil Engineer stated that God is of their disciple, and the proof was that no one but a Civil Engineer would run a waste water line right through a recreational zone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.