How many 'created man'?

Was Adam the first and only created man by God? Or is Eve included as a separate creation? God did take a rib was from Adam's side.

So as to be able to say "God created 1 man and through him we have all been begotten."

Or to say "God created Adam and Eve and through them all have been begotten."

So there has only been 1 or 2 created 'man' in the history of the world?

Pretty amazing when you think of it

There are two creation accounts.

God created both man and woman, male and female, in Genesis 1:

**Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth." So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. (Genesis 1:26-27)

God created man first and then woman from man's rib in Genesis

**Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.* (Genesis 2:7)

Then the LORD God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him." *(Genesis 2:18)

So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh; and the rib which the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man.
(Genesis 2:21-22)*

Either way, the creation of the first man and woman are divine actions.

-Tim-

Interesting topic, I would argue, all humans are created vs animals that were created and continue due to a natural process.

Reason being, I don't think I or my wife instill the soul to our children upon conception.

Thus, if souls are real, God has 'molded that rib' for each and every human.

I should note I understand the intent and it is crazy to think about all of these various types of people, mindsets, cultures from 2?

Just goes to show that children can be rebellious.

The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to believe that ADAM was the one and only original creation by GOD... the flawless MAN. Within him resided all of the perfection of the creator and that perfection can be found within the original human DNA before the fall. So GOD created once, rested and here we are... what an incredible event!

Since GOD took a rib from ADAM and fashioned EVE from ADAM'S rib then the body of EVE was not an independent creation like ADAM's but more like a 'generation' from the DNA that subsisted within ADAMS rib and so ADAM could say "Here is bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh." I ask you where would the world be, if it did not have the beautiful daughters of EVE, the helpmates, to compliment the powerful creation of ADAM?

So that the two become as one flesh.

Certainly each of our souls are created independently by GOD as living spirits but by design intended to inhabit the DNA of MAN as in ADAM as in all MEN. Since the spirit is designed by GOD to live in the perfected creation of ADAM then it stands to reason that SIN disrupts that unity, that perfection that we all were created for.

The Hebrew word for rib also means side. So God might have taken the whole side of Adam, rebuilt Adam’s side, and then created Eve from the other side. I like to think God used the left side to create Eve so she got the heart of Adam. That’s why women are more caring and why a man seeks a woman, to find his heart.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.