How many Gods are there in the Old Testament?

A favorite refrain of some atheists I know is that the Bible itself says there is more than one God and therefore the Bible contradicts itself. In my reading these instances come in two varieties. The most common is when a prophet refers to “gods” as in “the great kind over all gods.” The second is in Genesis when God refers to himself.

1 Samuel 28:13- And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw GODS ascending out of the earth.

Genesis 3:22- And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of US, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever.

There are many other quotes like the first one. I explain this by saying that in some OT texts God and Angel are interchangeable. Is this the right argument?

In the second quote I basically explain it as the use of the “Royal We” Kings and even the Pope used to refer to themselves as "we’ and “us” but that didn’t mean there were two or more of them.

Is my thinking correct?

These links should give you the answers that you need. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
**Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]Why did God in Genesis 1:26 say “us” and “our”?
]The Divinity of Christ (Fathers)
]The Eternal Sonship of Christ (Fathers)
]Filioque (Fathers)
]God Has No Body (Fathers)
]God in Three Persons (Fathers)
]The One True God (Fathers)
]The Trinity (Fathers)
*]Catholic Answers: This Rock: Quick Questions: Trinity
*] (This Rock: July 1991)TRINITY
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.