hOW MANY HOURS IN YOUR WORK WEEK?

Is it just me, or are more people Scrooge like ( especially with the energy crunch). Don’t turn up that thermostat! Meals on a budget. And we are working more and more hours with some people never seeing only 40 hour work weeks. In Europe they still take time to enjoy life, take vacations, have long maternity and paternity leaves of absence.

Last week I worked 48 hours only because I was on 7/24 call. Normally, I try to limit my work to 40 - 45 hours a week.

PF

I work anywhere from 44 to 72 hours a week. I’m working towards staying in the 44 range, but it’s gonna be a while.

We could learn a lot from other countries, but we’d also have to take on their work ethics. In other countries where they don’t work as long, they tend to work harder while they are there. At least that’s what I’ve observed.

[quote=pira114]I work anywhere from 44 to 72 hours a week. I’m working towards staying in the 44 range, but it’s gonna be a while.

We could learn a lot from other countries, but we’d also have to take on their work ethics. In other countries where they don’t work as long, they tend to work harder while they are there. At least that’s what I’ve observed.
[/quote]

I’m a teacher. I have about 18 contact hours a week and another 10 or so on lesson prep. I do only work part-time, though. My hours vary quite a bit due to tests, club activites and holidays.

Gearoidin

36-48. I work twelve hour shifts, 84 hours every two weeks.

40 hours of work work and about 20-30 hours of home work.

Well, I’m a sahm, so I’m on duty 27/7 :smiley:
My husband is a electrician at a factory that runs on shifts so he puts in 12 hours every day or night, depending on what shift he is on. My sister in law is an RN and she is supposed to be part time, yeah, trying telling that to the gals who call her and ask her to cover for them, she puts in SO much time, she is too sweet, she doesn’t have any idea how to say NO :wink:

As a mom my job is 24/7. My DH works anywhere from 50-70 hours a week.

****I can’t remember the last time my dh worked only a 40 hour week. He usually puts in at least 2 hours o/t (unpaid - he’s salary) a day and that’s if you don’t count time on the laptop at home.

I’m with you, Europe has a much stronger balance, seemingly without lower production - or at least it appears that way from this side of the ocean.

37.5 hours for my main job and an additional 13 to 20 hours at the Mall during the holidays.

I work steady graveyard shift Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week with an occaisional paid overtime shift when I want it. My job stays at work and I never have to take work home with me. I get home, have a shower, take the kids to school, go to bed and get up for dinner. Works great for my family. :thumbsup:

My wife, on the other hand, as a SAHM, is on call pretty much 24/7. I try to talk her into some evenings or the odd weekend off, but she doesn’t take me up on the offer very often.

I’ve seen her job. Mine’s a lot easier. :stuck_out_tongue:

45-50 is expected where I work, plus 8+ weekend hours every six weeks.

I could get my work done in much less time if socialization wasn’t an integral part of my work day. Sadly, it is the best way to move up, not being good at what you do.

45 - 50, plus occasional nights, weekeds and holidays - then there is 10 - 14 hours of commute time each week…

[quote=Rebecca New]Is it just me, or are more people Scrooge like ( especially with the energy crunch). Don’t turn up that thermostat! Meals on a budget. And we are working more and more hours with some people never seeing only 40 hour work weeks. In Europe they still take time to enjoy life, take vacations, have long maternity and paternity leaves of absence.
[/quote]

Don’t use Europe as an example - their economy is imploding and they have to import workers. France is an excellent example, and the housing problem alone for workers coming from former colonies is one of the contributing factors to the riots they just experienced…please note: I said ONE of the factors.

I know I have to commute 90 minutes to 2 hours one way to get to my job, but that is partly my choice. I wanted to purchase a home. In order to afford one I had to move further away from where I work. I did it at a time when the homes were affordable, and I had put just enough time in at my job to make it more to my advantage to stick it out for at least 5 to 7 more years so that my pension would be better. Still, that means getting up at 4:00am to be out of the house by 5 so I can be sure and be at work by 7:00 (must allow for traffic). That is a long … long … long… day…

I work 45-50 hours at the office and another 30+ out of the office. Really kind of working all the time so it is hard to say. Always thinking about work. Regularly doing something work related even not thinking about it. Just the nature of the job.

Before the birth of our son, I worked full time, 36 hours per week. Now my husband works full time, 37 hours a week :slight_smile: So we’re not complaining! We also live outside of the city environment, and the owner of his company (an actuarial consulting company) does cattle farming for a hobby, so I guess that helps quite a bit.

Well, last week it was 40, although I’d regularly cut out 20 minutes or so early. But this week I’m no longer employed, at least not for money. I’m preparing to stay home with my soon-to-be-born babe and concentrating on getting the house in good shape. I’ll probably put in about 25 hours this week around the house and running errands. But soon it will be 24/7! :slight_smile:

My husband works from home so it’s hard to say how much he works. He’ll work a few hours, take a break, go back after dinner…I would guess about 40 hours but I’m not sure.

I work 30 hours a week at my job, and I do all the household stuff. (cooking/cleaning etc. Whatever needs to be done. We do go grocery shopping together though usually.) DH works usually 45 to 50. Sometimes more if he has a big project or something going on.

well, ditto to the mom thing…25/8 around here…

DH works about 50-60hrs on avg…there’s no overtime in the military…lol, you’re on “duty” 24/7/365…weekends are fair game (tho not so much this assignment, thank goodness) and this is the best job we’ve had hours-wise. In Tucson, with the monsoons the aircraft had to take off at 5 or 6am b/c of the heat and monsoons in the afternoons…so he and his had to be in by 4am…never came home before 5 or 6pm…boy those were the days…I was working 6:30-ish to 6pm or so too…whatta life. I’m all about what we’ve got now!!

I work exactly 40 hrs every week. I am going to grad school on top of that though.

As LSK pointed out, Europe has a horrible economy. The last the we need is double our current unemployment rate like Europe has.

That is why Europe is failing economically and socially. When companies can’t require workers to work, they go oversees. It’s happening here too much already.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.