How many married Catholic priests are there today?

Sorry if this the wrong forum. Please move it if it is.

I remember reading this article in a magazine a few years back that was about Catholic priests that were married. I believe they were mostly former Episcopal priests that were allowed to become Catholic priests by Pope John Paul the Great (is that the correct title for him?).

How many of these priests are there? Are there any special rules for them? Can they reach any position in the Church? Do they have different duties?

There are gobs of eastern rite catholic priests who are married

Maybe not “gobs”. There are many Eastern Catholic married priests in Europe but very few in America, maybe 20 or 30. Repression of the Eastern Catholic Church in America by the Roman Catholics drove out most of our married priests but some are being imported from Europe. Married Roman priests number in the hundreds in the US.

CDL

Gregory, come on…don’t be like the Portestants and just throw out accusations with nothing to back them up!! We in the Latin Rite and all of the Eastern Rites in the ONE Holy and Apostolic Church should be working to learn from each other and not sniping at each other…I have yet to meet in person an Eastern Rite Catholic so you CANNOT say that I have repressed ANY Eastern Rite Catholic.

What are “Portestants”?

Personally I’m sure that’s true I suggest that you do a little research.

CDL

in the 13th century, a group of Boatsmen revolted against the ports of Rome (for plenty of reasons. mostly their view on how the ports played a place in their boating ceremonies) and decided to create their own ports based on beliefs lead by Captain Matin Lurther and First Mate Jhon Clavin.
It’s all dumb, there are now 33,000 different Portestant Ports around the world.

Hope this helps.
Godbless.

Maybe a hundred or so former Anglicans in Britain.
Generally the understanding is that they will receive no promotion - no chance of being elevated to bishop for example. However since they need to support their families they tend to be given larger and more lucrative parishes, or paid jobs as chaplains.

:rolleyes:

If you make a claim, it is your job to back it up. Telling someone to do the research is not a good response.

The subject has been covered ad nauseum. It always surprises me that some still don’t know. It isn’t that hard to find out. The Roman Catholic Church pretty much invented Orthodoxy in America between 1888 and 1929 and nearly destroyed Eastern Catholicism in the process. Yet, we remain loyal to Rome.

Hint…Google Bsp. Ireland.

CDL…

I never said your claim wasn’t true (if I did, I would have to prove that) but if it is as simple to prove as you claim, you can easily provide a few links.

Do married Catholic Latin Rite priests in the US ever serve the Eucharist in parrishes that have always been Catholic?

The reason I ask is that I’ve heard–though I might have heard wrong–that generally Roman Catholic Latin Rite married priests are given positions that Don’t Include pastoring parrishes.

Is this correct?

I hope not for there are parrishes in the US that don’t have priests and desparately need the Eucharist.

Bishop Ireland, otherwise a very wise and dynamic leader, formented against married Greek Catholic Priests. It seemed a scandel to him and to other RC clergy. But to the Greek Catholics it was quite normal to have married priests. Our priest, for example, is a grandson of a Greek Catholic priest. In fact his anscestory goes back for 300 years of married priests. Finally, in 1929 the Vatican banned all married priests for the Greek Catholics. Overnight 1/2 or more of our Churches disappeared along with their priests. Where did they go? They created a large and growing Orthodox Church in Pa. which is today nation wide.

Why, you may ask, should Greek Catholics be allowed to ordain married men when Roman Catholics aren’t usually supposed to? It’s simple. When the Orthodox Churches that came back into communion with Rome agreed to come back one of the written stipulations was that the Greeks or Eastern Catholics would always be allowed to ordain married priests just as they always had. It Europe this agreement was kept. In America the agreement was abrogated. Yet in the 1990s Pope John Paul II reversed the 1929 decision. We are slowly bringing back the practice.

For more information go to the forum at byzcath.org where it is discussed from time to time. It has been discussed here as well.

CDL

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.