How many Plenary Indulgences are needed to get a soul out or Purgatory?

My mother passed away in December. She was a very charitable person, who founded two homes to help blind boys and girls. When she could, she went to daily Mass, and prayed the Rosary daily. Lately she did not go out anymore (she was 94 and her health was rather frail), but she received Communion daily.
When she was at the hospital, unconscious, I brought a priest who administered the Sacrament for the Sick, and also he prayed a special official prayer called the Plenary Indulgence for the Dying.
After Mom died, we had 9 Masses and in each one I offered the Plenary Indulgence for her soul.
I told a priest I thought my Mom was in Heaven and he said one can never be sure of that.

So I have kept on offering the daily Plenary Indulgence one can obtain in this Year of the Faith, for her (nevertheless I tell God: Lorde: if Mom is already in Heaven, please apply this to the soul that You consider needs it most!).

I once read that the soul of a sister appeared to st Faustina Kowalska, and asked her for her prayers to help her get out of Purgatory. And st Faustina had to pray for several days until that same soul appeared to her and thanked her. Why did it take her so long?

I always thought that when one gains a Plenary Indulgence and applies it to a decesaed person's soul, this souls gets out of Purgatory immediately, but apparently this is not the case. :(

So I wonder, how many Plenary Indulgences must one gain and apply for a soul, since there is no way one can find out if someone is in Heaven?

:shrug:

Alma

The word "plenary" is from the Latin "plena", meaning "full". A plenary indulgence by definition remits all temporal punishment due to sin, so one plenary indulgence is sufficient to release a soul from Purgatory. However, since we can never know if a plenary indulgence is actually attained (because the person seeking it must be free from all attachment to sin, even venial sin), we must continue to pray for all the faithful departed with the exception of those who have been formally canonized by the Pope.

[quote="aemcpa, post:2, topic:326327"]
The word "plenary" is from the Latin "plena", meaning "full". A plenary indulgence by definition remits all temporal punishment due to sin, so one plenary indulgence is sufficient to release a soul from Purgatory. However, since we can never know if a plenary indulgence is actually attained (because the person seeking it must be free from all attachment to sin, even venial sin), we must continue to pray for all the faithful departed with the exception of those who have been formally canonized by the Pope.

[/quote]

Beat me to it. :thumbsup:

[quote="aemcpa, post:2, topic:326327"]
However, since we can never know if a plenary indulgence is actually attained (because the person seeking it must be free from all attachment to sin, even venial sin), we must continue to pray for all the faithful departed with the exception of those who have been formally canonized by the Pope.

[/quote]

Except that she says that a priest gave her mom the apostolic blessing (she called it the 'plenary indulgence for the dying'). If she was in a state of grace when she died, and had received the apostolic blessing, then she's not in purgatory...! ;)

However since she has not yet been canonized, I would continue to pray for her. :thumbsup:

For I do not believe you can overdoo prayer. And as the OP stated if the mom attained heaven let another soul profit from this.

By the way aren’t we also gaining merit by doing this? :smiley:

I say keep at it :wink:

I have question re plenary indulgence.OP states she offers a daily plenary indulgence for her deceased mother. I understood there to be certain criteria satisfies in order to receive an plenary indulgence.ie: detachment from sin,confession,mass and Eucharist within in seven days.How then is it possible to obtain an indulgence as trequently as OP mentions:confused:

[quote="Jeanne_S, post:6, topic:326327"]
I have question re plenary indulgence.OP states she offers a daily plenary indulgence for her deceased mother. I understood there to be certain criteria satisfies in order to receive an plenary indulgence.ie: detachment from sin,confession,mass and Eucharist within in seven days.How then is it possible to obtain an indulgence as trequently as OP mentions:confused:

[/quote]

A plenary indulgence can be obtained once per day. A person must receive communion once for each plenary indulgence (so, Mass every day) and go to Confession within 7 (or is it 20? I'm never quite sure) days. One confession counts for many plenary indulgences. To be safe, I go to confession at least biweekly, to fill that in for any indulgences I may be able to obtain.

Of course, on top of this there are the requirements to be detached from sin and pray for the intentions of the holy father.

it does not seem feasible that i will ever understand indulgences at all....:(
some of the analogies are great, yet I am still not there....
carry on....

[quote="Jeanne_S, post:6, topic:326327"]

[/quote]

One plenary indulgence may be received per day, but provided that one stays in the state of grace one may receive several plenary indulgences on the basis of a single sacramental confession. The most recent legislation is that one can receive plenary indulgences for 20 days before or after a sacramental confession provided that one is in the state of grace, and assuming the other conditions are met for each individual indulgence. So if a person goes to confession monthly and receives communion daily, prays for the Holy Father's intention daily, and makes an indulgenced act daily, and is detached from sin, that person will receive a plenary indulgence every day.

Beat me to it. Now we’re even. :wink:

Hahaha. :smiley: It’s all a matter of who sees it first, I suppose. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks! I didn’t know this.:slight_smile:

[quote="Jeanne_S, post:12, topic:326327"]
Thanks! I didn't know this.:)

[/quote]

Otherwise you'd have to go to confession every day, which would be quite the challenge even for monks.

It is good to know that one can receive a plenary indulgence at the mooment of one's death without doing the 3 required conditions. Here is what the official Book of Indugences says:

'"The Moment of Death (In articulo mortis)

"To the faithful in danger of death, a plenary indulgence may be gained at the point of death, provided they are properly disposed and have been in the habit of reciting some prayers during their lifetime. The use of a crucifix or a cross to gain this indulgence is praiseworthy.

"The condition: provided they have been in the habit of reciting some prayers during their lifetime supplies in such cases for the three usual conditions required for the gaining of a plenary indulgence.

"The plenary indulgence at the point of death can be acquired by the faithful, even if they have already obtained another plenary indulgence on the same day."

i was always told if you were given last rites and pardoned by a priest and you were truly sorry for what you had done and te lord knew that and you lived a pretty religious and giving life you would be admitted into heaven. My dear friend you may continue praying but the lord is merciful and forgives us all and loves us all the lord even loves the devil not his evilness but he loves how he is smart and this shows how loving our lord is. Know that she is with Christ. I am sorry for your loss my sibling in Christ but the lord will care for you your family and your mother. I love you all and God Bless.

Thank you BigdogAman, for your most kind words!

I heard a priest say that when one applies a plenary indulgence for oneself, one must be perfectly detached from all sin, even venial sin. But when one applies the plenary indulgence for a soul in Purgatory, this condition is not so strict.
That in this case it is enough that one is in state of grace (having gone to Confession or going within a week), receiving Communion and praying for the intentions of the Pope.
Is that not so?:shrug:

Alma

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.