How many Protestant churches observe Holy Week?

And if your denomination/church doesn't, do you wish that it would?
:)

[quote="JustaServant, post:1, topic:278940"]

[/quote]

Our church holds evening services every evening during the week before Easter. I believe that the decision on whether to have services is made by each church's kirk session.

For sure, you will have services for Palm Sunday and Good Friday. Sometimes there are other services during the week. It depends on the church. I'm Baptist, by the way.

Pretty much how it was at my church. The only thing remotely close to being liturgical were candle light vigil services for Christmas. Someone would hand out palm fronds on Palm Sunday, then of course for Easter you had the dreaded “sun rise services.”

Of course the preacher’s sermons were usually based according to those two times of year.

Pretty much wraps it up.

[quote="JustaServant, post:1, topic:278940"]

[/quote]

Almost every LCMS parish will observe Maundy Thursday and Good Friday. It is rare to see parishes that have an Easter vigil, but some do.

[quote="IggyAntiochus, post:5, topic:278940"]
Almost every LCMS parish will observe Maundy Thursday and Good Friday. It is rare to see parishes that have an Easter vigil, but some do.

[/quote]

Ours does.

Jon

Yes Palm Sunday, Thursday and Good Friday.

Ash Wednesday too. Of course that's not Easter Week.

The Episcopal Church pretty much mirrors the Catholic Church .. Palm Sunday, the regular daily Eucharist celebrations, on Monday - Wednesday... Thursday is "solemn", ((depending on where, (I've only ever been in cathedrals)), ... Friday has no set Liturgy, (in the Book of Common Prayer, as far as I know, but I may be wrong about that), and Saturday has a Vigil liturgy, and Eucharist, very similar to ours.

Evangelical churches definitely observe Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday. Not all of them do Good Friday, though, and some that do make it out to be a "special occasion"--not necessarily an every-year occurrence.

Ours has a Easter Vigil.

Liturgical Protestant churches (Anglicans, Lutherans, some Methodists) will generally have the full range of Holy Week services that Catholics do: Tenebrae, Mass of the Lord's Supper with the Washing of Feet, Veneration of the Holy Cross, Easter Vigil. I've even known some Presbyterians who observe a "full Holy Week". The rubrics of the respective denominations' books of worship usually make at least some provision for a full Holy Week.

For Baptists and conservative evangelicals, it will generally include a Palm Sunday observance, a Good Friday prayer service, an Easter morning service (usually with communion). My childhood church did a candle-lit vigil for Easter, starting at 9pm Saturday. How these services are put together varies widely from church to church, because there is no set form for these things.

In the Evangelical churches I've been in---Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday with a sunrise service (which I love and don't dread).

We do.

AND GOD DID THIS FOR 40 YEARS FOR MANY THOUSNADS OF PEOPLE

Exo. 16 “7 and in the morning you shall see the glory of the LORD, because he has heard your murmurings against the LORD. For what are we, that you murmur against us?" 8 And Moses said, "When the LORD gives you in the evening flesh to eat and in the morning bread to the full, because the LORD has heard your murmurings which you murmur against him--what are we? Your murmurings are not against us but against the LORD."

John.8: 43 - 47 : “Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. **But, because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. Which of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? He who is of God hears the words of God; the reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God." **

TO DENY THE REAL PRESENCE IS TO DENY JESUS HIMSELF AND ALL OF THESE TESTIMONIES

Matthew 26: 26-28
And whilst they were at supper, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke: and gave to his disciples, and said: Take ye, and eat. This is my body. And taking the chalice, he gave thanks, and gave to them, saying: Drink ye all of this. For this is my blood of the new testament, which shall be shed for many unto remission of sins.

MARK 14: 22-24
And whilst they were eating, Jesus took bread; and blessing, broke, and gave to them, and said: Take ye. This is my body. And having taken the chalice, giving thanks, he gave it to them. And they all drank of it. And he said to them: This is my blood of the new testament, which shall be shed for many.

Luke 22: 19-21
And taking bread, he gave thanks, and brake; and gave to them, saying: This is my body, which is given for you. Do this for a commemoration of me. In like manner the chalice also, after he had supped, saying: This is the chalice, the new testament in my blood, which shall be shed for you.

Paul 1 Cor.11: 23-29
For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus, the same night in which he was betrayed, took bread. And giving thanks, broke, and said: Take ye, and eat: this is my body, which shall be delivered for you: this do for the commemoration of me. In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of me. For as often as you shall eat this bread, and drink the chalice, you shall show the death of the Lord, until he come. Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord. But let a man prove himself: [to be worthy of the privilege] and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of the chalice. For he that eats and drinks unworthily, eats and drinks judgment to himself Paul COULD NOT make this claim about ordinary "bread and wine"!** IMPOSSIBLE**

John from Chapter 6: 47-57 **
***Amen, amen I say unto you: He that believeth in me, hath everlasting life. I am the bread of life.
* I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever; and the bread that I will give, is my flesh, for the life of the world. The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat? Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. He that eats my flesh, and drinks my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day. For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed. He that eats my flesh, and drinks my blood, abides in me, and I in him….

Out of Love Jesus can make water into wine; walk on water, cure the blind, deaf and lame; raise people from the dead, make a few loafs of bread feed 5,000 with 12 baskets [represent the known world] left over… but some hoe a all Powerful and Might God can’t do what He says…

PARTS of Mt. 28:16-20 16] Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. ..teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age."

And your reason for unbelief is????:shrug:

May God frogive and help you. AMEN!

[quote="JonNC, post:6, topic:278940"]
Ours does.

Jon

[/quote]

Jealous.

[quote="Jason_Firestone, post:8, topic:278940"]
The Episcopal Church pretty much mirrors the Catholic Church .. Palm Sunday, the regular daily Eucharist celebrations, on Monday - Wednesday... Thursday is "solemn", ((depending on where, (I've only ever been in cathedrals)), ... Friday has no set Liturgy, (in the Book of Common Prayer, as far as I know, but I may be wrong about that), and Saturday has a Vigil liturgy, and Eucharist, very similar to ours.

[/quote]

The Episcopal chruch has a Good Friday Liturgy, with communion from the reserved sacrament, and veneration of the cross. The difference is they venerate a plain cross and not a crucifix.
They have a Maunday Thursday liturgy as well, with stripping of the altar. They place the sacrament in a special tabernacle.

It's intersesting to read the Saturday newspaper, which lists the services for all the churches, even Baptists now will have holy week services. With Tenebrae services on Good Friday. That never would have happened a few years ago.

The ministerial allience will have a good friday stations of the Cross that goes like 1/2 a mile or so.

The ecumenical movement has done good, bringing different Christians closer together.:)

[quote="andrewstx, post:16, topic:278940"]
The Episcopal chruch has a Good Friday Liturgy, with communion from the reserved sacrament, and veneration of the cross. The difference is they venerate a plain cross and not a crucifix.
They have a Maunday Thursday liturgy as well, with stripping of the altar. They place the sacrament in a special tabernacle.

It's intersesting to read the Saturday newspaper, which lists the services for all the churches, even Baptists now will have holy week services. With Tenebrae services on Good Friday. That never would have happened a few years ago.

The ministerial allience will have a good friday stations of the Cross that goes like 1/2 a mile or so.

The ecumenical movement has done good, bringing different Christians closer together.:)

[/quote]

I've seen veiled crucifixes. Plain ones, no.

Could be, I guess. One never knows about Anglicans.

GKC

the Methodist church i grew up in celebrated Palm Sunday, Maudy Thursday and Good Friday. Maudy Thursday was a communion service and that is when those being confirmed would partake in their “1st communion” Since Methodist is from Anglican, we did follow the colors of the Liturgical year. At least the one I grew up in had a more high liturgical practice.
I am not sure about today (This was Unitied Methodist)

None of the Baptist churches I’ve ever been to have. They celebrate Palm Sunday but not in the way Catholics do. I was amazed at the Palm Sunday mass today as it was first Catholic Palm Sunday mass I’ve ever been to. The Baptist services say, “Hey, it’s Palm Sunday” but nothing in their services have anything to do with it except for the occasional fake palm tree at the altar. I loved that everything at mass today had to do with Palm Sunday.

In our LCMS Lutheran church we will have a Maundy Thursday service, Tenebrae on Good Friday, Easter Vigil on Saturday night and Easter service on Sunday.

On Palm Sunday, we had our city's 90th Prayers for the City gathering at city Hall which ocurred before our 10:30 service; I have to say that the Catholic church's group was most impressive, marching up to the City Hall square with drums!

The Episcopal church had congregants with kites and banners. Our Lutherans were rather plain in comparison - but the prayers of all were moving and beautiful to hear. May God have mercy on our city.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.