How many Readings at a Baptism?

I’ve been at baptisms and have seen 1 reading proclaimed & then the Gospel. I’ve also seen just a Gospel proclaimed.

I’ve looked in the “The Rites” book, volulme 1 in #44 in the section on “Baptism for Children” & it says that “1 or 2 gospel passages are read.” Then it continues with a listing of other non-Gospel passages “that may be chosen.”

Bottom line, my question is: is it a violation to just proclaim the Gospel alone & not any other scripture reading? (Of course there’s a homily.)

[quote=capon3] . . .
Bottom line, my question is: is it a violation to just proclaim the Gospel alone & not any other scripture reading? (Of course there’s a homily.)
[/quote]

Probably not.

Remember that in addition to the rubrics, we must also look at the general instructions that appear before the ritual texts begin. They provide norms for understanding how the rubrics are to be interpreted.

No. 17 of the general introduction of Ordo Baptismi parvulorum (Order of Baptism of Children, 1969) speaks to the liturgy of the word, and reads in part “This part of the celebration consists of the reading of one or more passages from holy Scripture; a homily . . .” (Rites IA , Pueblo, Study Edition)

So in context, the additional use of old testament and new testament readings seems to be at the discretion of the minister.

I think the better pastoral practice, reflecting the paradigm of the Eucharistic Liturgy, might be to have at least a first reading, psalm response, and gospel.

But as someone who has baptized 22 infants at the same celebration of the sacrament, I can sympathize with those who only proclaim the gospel.

[quote=cameron_lansing]But as someone who has baptized 22 infants at the same celebration of the sacrament, I can sympathize with those who only proclaim the gospel.
[/quote]

Wow,

It sounds like a textbook use for the “Rome Depot” Holy Water sprayer

splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/romedepot.htm

:smiley: :smiley:

[quote=Brendan]Wow,

It sounds like a textbook use for the “Rome Depot” Holy Water sprayer

splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/romedepot.htm

:smiley: :smiley:
[/quote]

Now don’t be laughing, Brother Brendan. The good Lord may endow your parishioners with great fertility prior to some day when you are on schedule for baptisms. I was just relieved (please excuse that word) that none of the parents asked for immersion.

Since the Chrism was relatively fresh, we all had the aura of sanctity for several days.

Thanks Deacon John,

Your reply is most helpful to me.

capon3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.