How many rosaries is too much?

Hi.
I have three rosaries. One for my car, and 2 which I alternate wearing on my person (around my neck or in my pocket) or displaying in my home.
I recently bought another one, a St. Benedict Rosary. I did it because I read it can help me avoid temptation, among other things. ( I led a sinful and selfish life before discovering catholicism, and I hope a Saint’s intercession to our Lord will help me become a less sinful person).
I would like to ask how many rosaries is too many? Should I perhaps donate one of my rosaries to my church, or give it to a friend?

I had always heard that wearing a rosary like a necklace was improper. Can someone ring in on this?

That said, I have several favorite rosaries, each with special meaning.

I have a glow-in-the-dark kids' rosary, because I had one when I was a kid. Every kid should have a glow-in-the-dark rosary.

I have my First Communion rosary. The chain broke, but I saved all the beads.

I have a Mothers' Day rosary with Mary in the centerpiece surrounded by little gems. This one celebrates my status as a mother to children of my own.

I have a Marian Icons rosary, with each of the Our Father "beads" being a sacred medal of an apparation of Mary. This came into my hands about the time that I finally embraced the church's reverence of Mary in all her roles.

I have my father's rosary. My father is gone now, and this is one of the few things I got from him which I have been able to save.

I have a Basilicas of Rome rosary, with each of the Our Father "beads" being an image of one of the major churches in Rome. My mother bought for me when she took me to the Vatican to see Pope Benedict XVI. Actually I have two of these, and one day, when my own daughter finally returns to the Church, the second one will be hers.

And finally, I have a rosary made from olive wood from the Holy Land.

Needless to say, sometimes I don't have a rosary with me and I have to rely upon that "rosary" which God gave each one of us: the ten fingers on my two hands.

I have many rosaries. My husband used to buy me rosaries from various places he traveled on business. :thumbsup:

Rosaries, once blessed, become sacramentals, meant to increase your devotion and bring you closer to Christ. Don’t worry, then :slight_smile:

I also think it’s better to wear a crucifix (ex. a St. Benedict Crucifix blessed with the proper ritual) and a Scapular of Mt. Carmel (in which we are “invested” with a specific ritual as well), while there are nice little containers for the Rosary :slight_smile:

[quote="KCT, post:3, topic:319991"]
I have many rosaries. My husband used to buy me rosaries from various places he traveled on business. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

How lovely!

Two by my bedside [one is a back-up, in case I misplace the primary beads] … after I dress in the morning, I put the primary set in my shirt pocket. One hanging up next to my computer, in case I misplace the primary beads. And a bunch at my regular desk … in case, I need to mail a set to someone. Also have a bunch in my dresser drawer … given to me by various relatives, etc., with sentimental value. From time to time, I do misplace the primary beads, but they show up after the next batch of laundry gets done.

I have two in my purse, one being a green knotted cord rosary that I originally used for praying the Rosary on the bus. That's one thing I need to get back into the habit of doing. The other one in my purse is the one I use at church when the rosary is prayed before Saturday evening mass. Then I have one I got through Lenox. Actually, make that two. One came in a Ivory colored thing that says "Holy Bible" on the outside, but open it up and there's the rosary. Take that out, and there's an image of Mary. I have one made of some kind of shell, then a couple that were given me by different people. One being from my son-in-law which he got in Israel when he traveled there as part of a school thing. Don't ask me what, but he's in a Methodist Seminary and had to go there as part of a group for something or other. Anyway, I don't think there's such a thing as too many rosaries. Unless they threaten to take over the house.

You seem to be talking about beads. These are NOT Rosaries. A rosary is the prayers you say & we simply use the beads to keep track. It is best to have the simplest beads possible e.g. black. This deters any chance of vanity or covetousness being invested in the actual object. It is also a good Penance; then we focus on the prayers not the beads. If dumping a sparkling set of beads causes you to be upset then you may have misunderstood the purpose of these beads.
Non-believers sometimes confuse RC beads with jewelry worn as personal adornment.
You can never pray too many rosaries.

[quote="Johann_du_Toit, post:1, topic:319991"]
I did it because I read it can help me avoid temptation, among other things. ( I led a sinful and selfish life before discovering catholicism, and I hope a Saint's intercession to our Lord will help me become a less sinful person).?

[/quote]

Perhaps I haven't understood the idea of the rosary properly, but why would having a particular one affect the prayers you are praying? This sounds to me like an ad I saw on tv last week about people selling some sort of "holy water" which allegedly brings miracles and healings.

[quote="davidn87, post:9, topic:319991"]
Perhaps I haven't understood the idea of the rosary properly, but why would having a particular one affect the prayers you are praying? This sounds to me like an ad I saw on tv last week about people selling some sort of "holy water" which allegedly brings miracles and healings.

[/quote]

I actually read St. Benedict is specifically invoked for warding off temptation, as well as disease, bad weather and for a happy death. Wearing a St. Benedict medal (or rosary in this case) also apparently grants you a partial indulgence when worn, kissed or held reverently. It's a practice that has existed for hundreds of years.
I'm not saying it will be enough by itself to keep me on the straight path and prevent me from sinning, but every little bit helps.

We keep a few on hand at the house for praying with visiting friends and/or family....other than that i don't know why anyone would need more than one. I can see one of those reality shows popping up for excessive hoarding of religious articles...:shrug:

Tobbias88, To each their own. Black may be your preferred color, but that doesn’t mean that someone else can’t have one of another color. And would Rosary beads be a more comfortable way to put it? You come across as being fairly judgemental, which I find annoying. So, could you give others a bit of leeway?

Ditto. I’ve never heard that Catholics should only have black beads on their rosaries.

To the OP, I have many, many rosaries. I’ve gotten some as gifts, some I’ve purchased myself. As long as you’ve had them blessed and are actively using them, I don’t think it matters how many or how few you have. Or what color or saint they might be associated with for that matter. If a particular rosary speaks to you personally, that’s a good thing IMO.

I have rosaries all over the house and in my car and pockets. I make, collect, give them away and use them constantly.

My personal belief is you can never have too many rosaries. Or guns.

The rosary is a powerful tool. I wish the new Pope would be inspired to add a new set of mysteries to meditate upon. It does bring wisdom and signal graces; I can attest.

Wearing one is OK if you intend to use it.

[quote="thomasf, post:15, topic:319991"]
My personal belief is you can never have too many rosaries. Or guns.

[/quote]

Well, St Pio used to call the Rosary 'my weapon' :)

I pretty much have one for every place I might want to pray (bedside, lounge, purse, car) plus a Rosary bracelet for everywhere else.

And they do get used :gopray2:

Forgive me, but some of this sounds like idolatry to me.

[quote="davidn87, post:18, topic:319991"]
Forgive me, but some of this sounds like idolatry to me.

[/quote]

It would be so if we thought the object (the beads) had any power in and of itself. We don't. It's all about the prayer and the beads are a reminder to pray. Like you might have photos of your family in various rooms around your home and maybe at your workplace too.

And if the beads are blessed they are like those handkerchiefs Paul blessed in Acts that had spiritual power because of the blessing - including the power to heal people. We ought to treat such objects with respect.

You don't idolise your country's flag, but you do treat it in a respectful way because of the history behind it and what it represents. Objects have significance and we can treat them as befits that significance without idolising them.

In my case I have numerous pairs, but I also have several chargers for my phone set up in different places around the house where I may want them. Same with several telephones, TVs and so on. It's a matter of convenience.

I didn’t mean having more than one, I meant this idea that a particular set of beads can magically perform a certain act.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.