How many sacramentals do you have?

According to Traditional Catholic Dictionary Online, a sacramental is: “Certain pious practices or objects blessed by the Church. The blessing is attached, that these may serve to increase the devotion of the faithful. Scapulars, holy water, etc., are widely used sacramentals.”

Some sacramentals can protect from demons, remit venial sin and purgatory time, and grant temporal favors. Our Lady said of the Brown Scapular, to Saint Simon Stock, “WHOSOEVER DIES IN THIS GARMENT SHALL NOT SUFFER ETERNAL FIRE.” (Of course, there are stipulations with such an amazing promise). You should consider having your sacramentals blessed by a priest or deacon, if they have not been blessed. My guess is that they do not have to be blessed to be considered sacramentals, but the blessing increases the spiritual power. Please see for more info:

I did a previous thread on “bug-out” bags. Any sacramental would be great to have in your faith-centered emergency bag!

What sacramentals do you keep in your home?

Holy water, holy oil, blessed crosses, crucifixes, rosaries. I’m gonna get some icons, statues, and holy salt eventually. Also a goal is to have incense and an altar. Also inscribing prayers on the walls and corners of things (do it small, cut it into the wood or whatever.)

Also I have: many medallions, of St. Michael, Benedict medal, etc. And a good crucifix necklace that has an embedded Benedict medal. Also use St. Anthony’s brief.

Ok, you’re doing a bit better than me! :grin:

Whaaat? That is not allowed.

The Real Presence Eucharistic Education and Adoration Association Home Page\ 100x109 \ 25x25
\ 10x12 \ 10x12

Father John A. Hardon, S.J. Archives

Eucharist

\ 17x8 Return to: Home > Archives Index > Eucharist Index

Eucharist, Worship and Custody

by Fr. John A. Hardon, S.J.

Places For Reserving The Blessed Sacrament

Canon Law clearly distinguishes between places where the Blessed Sacrament must be reserved, and where the reservation is merely permissible. As a general principle, the Eucharist must be kept in the Cathedral Church, in the principle church of an Abbey or Prelacy nullius , and of a Vicariate or Prefecture Apostolic, in every parochial or quasi-parochial church, and in a church attached to a house of exempt religious whether of men or women. It may be kept, with the permission of the local Ordinary, in collegiate churches and in the principal oratory, public or semipublic, of a pious or religious house, or of an ecclesiastical college conducted by secular clerics or religious. An apostolic indult is needed to reserve the Blessed Sacrament in other churches and oratories; the local Ordinary may grant this permission for a just cause and for a given occasion, but only to a church or public oratory. However the permission is valid as long as the justifying reason continues, say, for the whole period during which a parochial church is being repaired.

In all the foregoing provisions, the law requires that someone be appointed as guardian of the tabernacle, who may be a layman, without implying that he is also custodian of the tabernacle key. Moreover, a priest must regularly say Mass at least once a week, as a conditio sine qua non for reservation, even if there is no need of renewing the consecrated hosts.

No one is allowed to keep the Blessed Sacrament in his house or, with the exception of the Roman Pontiff, to carry it with him while traveling. On the other hand churches in which the Blessed Sacrament is reserved, especially parochial churches, should remain open to the faithful at least a few hours daily.

2 Likes

WAY too many to count

1 Like

Never kept track, nor to I particularly feel it is appropriate for me to do. I had a priest once tell me that God judges our soul on our deeds and faith, not on how many rosaries we own, or statues that adorn our home…I think he was on to something.

1 Like

When I converted I kinda of went all out… When you begin going all out, the wishlist never ends. I saw an older lady at my parish once who had a necklace filled with around 20 blessed medallions. We will all get there on our sacramental journey one day

(Yes, you could hear her walk.)

1 Like

No. You’re not allowed to just have the Eucharist permanently outside a chapel.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_P3C.HTM

No, see my edit above.

1 Like

TIL, Eucharistic abuse. Thank you and @Fauken

1 Like

If you know of someone doing this, they are committing a serious sacrilege, and you should be reporting them to your priest, not seeking to be like them.

2 Likes

As for number of sacramentals, I have way too many to count. I really need to find new homes for some of the items, especially medals. I have considered having a medal giveaway here on CAF.

3 Likes

TY! I just mentioned Fr. Hardon and his profound effect on my life on the Western Wall thread. I used to know a couple who had the Eucharist in their house. They were well-connected Catholics. I assumed you had to have the permission of the Bishop.

…and blessed chalk for the Epiphany Blessing.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.