How many times does the average person sin a day?

Constant wondering on how many sins would a person do or are there any scripture references to tell about this. Just wondering becuase I've always had this question and wanted to know if the bible or anywhere else had any knowledge about it.

Seventy times seven ;)

The only verse I know of that mentions sins in a day is in Luke:

Luke 17:3-4 So watch yourselves! “If another believer sins, rebuke that person; then if there is repentance, forgive. Even if that person wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks forgiveness, you must forgive.”

Seven is actually a pretty good number for me, especially if I consider things that I should have done but have not done such as praying. Add a little gluttony, a lot of sloth, angry or at least uncharitable thoughts, unnecessary spending without giving to the poor... well, there's five sins and it's not even 10:00 am on the East Coast. :eek:

[quote="TheHolyTrinity9, post:1, topic:334608"]
Constant wondering on how many sins would a person do or are there any scripture references to tell about this. Just wondering becuase I've always had this question and wanted to know if the bible or anywhere else had any knowledge about it.

[/quote]

Only God knows the answer to that question, not us.

Well, eventhough I am not an expert, I can say with confidence that the amount of sin varies from person to person. It really depends. What is certain though, is that everyone has sinned at least once in their life. Perhaps not everyone has comitted a mortal sin, but each person has done a sin of some sort (at least venial). Jesus said in the bible that "Whoever is sinless cast the first Stone". This verse is pretty clear that no one is sinless, which implies to what I just said. Even church recognised saints (even those that have done brilliant things in the name of christ) had sins. The issue is whether the individual person will try to live to the fullest and stop sinning. Of course whilst it is true that everyone is capable of reducing sins, it is impossible to remove them.
For example, even St. Pio (who followed God in every aspect of his life) has committed some sort of sins in his life (even if indirect ones). But the difference between St. Pio (or another canonised saint) and an obstinate sinner, is that St. Pio chose to be purified of them in this life for the sake of being pure and holy in God's eyes. But really, the AMOUNT of sins vary for each person. Each person is on a different spiritual level. But what matters though is that each person repents of sins (especially mortal) and tries to live in a State of grace. So it does not matter how much the person has sinnned, what is important is how you respond to them, and whether you repent of them and try to live in God's ways from the moment on.

Only God knows !

What kind of person is considered "average"??? :confused:

Here is a nice verse from Proverbs:

DR Proverbs 24:16 For a just man shall fall seven times, and shall rise again: but the wicked shall fall down into evil.

However many times it is, the just man will rise again. Each time pick yourself up and start over. :)

I believe that I sin against God whenever I intentionally, and unnecessarily, take my mind off of Godly things. God is a jealous God, and I believe He wants my undivided attention.

[quote="Beryllos, post:2, topic:334608"]
Seventy times seven ;)

[/quote]

:D

Much more than the average person knows.

Thanks for all the answers everyone! Just wanted some scripture references so thank you all! God Bless you. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.