How many times to go to Mass in a day?

In one 3 day period MOAO and I had the circumstance that we went to Mass 6 times; 2x on a Friday, 3x Saturday and Sunday. Is this an abuse?

Friday morning we went to a Funeral Mass - received Eucharist.
Later we went to Mass for that day, received Eucharist (Priest mentioned that the attendance at the Funeral Mass was an act of charity, and therefore not an impediment to receiving the Eucharist at Mass O’ the day.

Saturday morning visited a parish with friends - 7:30 Mass, received Eucharist early that afternoon attended a mass for third orders of another friend, received Eucharist. 4:30 that afternoon, MAOA and I sang with choir in a parish we frequent, and yes received Eucharist.

Sunday morning attended mass at home parish where we also sing in choir - and received Eucharist.

Did an abuse with regard to receiving Eucharist occur?

(This is actually a serious question, because this is not an uncommon position to findd ourselves in these days.)

:shrug:

Under normal circumstances you should not be receiving the Eucharist more than twice in a calendar day, (and the second time must be during Mass.) There are special events and/or feasts where this rule is waived.

In general, if you have reasons to attend Mass more than twice a day you ought not to go to communion one of those times. If I’m singing with my choir and have already gone to communion or plan on going to another Mass I usually skip communion.

Canon Law limits the reception of communion to twice a day. HOWEVER, the part that everyone chooses to ignore is that the second time you receive communion MUST be in the context of a Eucharistic Celebration (Mass). Er go, if you go to morning Mass and later that day you attend a Communion Service led by a Eucharistic Minister or Deacon, for example, you cannot receive communion there.

You can attend Mass as many times as you want, however, you should limit your reception of the Eucharist to no more than two times per day.

Okay -clear enough -Thank you (I’ll presume that a seminarian is probably got the basics teaching correct.)

(Can’t see why anyone who’s been to Mass wold even take the time to attend a Communion service led by a Deacon or EMHC.

Appreciate the feedback~

Thanks for your confidence, but please don’t believe me just because I’m a Seminarian! I’m hardly infallible. I have provided these quotes from the Code of Canon Law as reference.

Can. 917 One who has received the blessed Eucharist may receive it again on the same day only within a eucharistic celebration in which that person participates, without prejudice to the provision of can. 921 ß2.

And just so there are no loose ends, 921 deals with Viaticum and says…

Can. 921 ß1 Christ’s faithful who are in danger of death, from whatever cause, are to be strengthened by holy communion as Viaticum.

ß2 Even if they have already received holy communion that same day, it is nevertheless strongly suggested that in danger of death they should communicate again.

ß3 While the danger of death persists, it is recommended that holy communion be administered a number of times, but on separate days.

In my personal (and entirely unofficial opinion) training is training. While I cannot judge the quality of education received outside of my own seminary, I think that the curriculum agreed upon by the USCCB is pretty good stuff.

I don’t disagree with the Second Vatican Council, however, that time period produced some radical priests who feel that everything needs to be changed and they are the instrument for that change.

Fortunately, that radical spirit has greatly diminished over the years. Unfortunately, the priests who set out to change the world in the 70’s are now in charge of the seminaries, and some have been received to the Episcopate. Dioceses and Orders that do not subscribe to this “change the Liturgy and water down the Theology” mindset tend to be doing well. For example, the Dioceses of Arlington, VA and Lincoln, NE are doing rather well.

well the kind of replies on this thread make me wonder if anyone actually uses their brain to think ?
Does God really want to punish anyone or think it is a sin if someone takes the body and blood of Christ a hundred times a day ?
God will not think this is a sin, why on earth would it ?
Provided someone takes the body and blood with respect and seriousness, then why would God worry ?
Remember that church rules are there as it is an organisation with many men throughout the centuries adding and taking stuff out, some men meant well, some didn’t, there were corrupt people within the church, and well meaning ones with opinions, anti-popes, popes, and so on.
But what does the Bible say, as only the Bible can be adhered to in order to test if what man has done within the Church is correct or not… Remember Jesus came to eradicate the legalism of the Pharisees, and so doesn’t like all this legalism.
What did Jesus say ? He asked that all men and women eat of His body and blood, to do it in memory of Him, etc…

The real question of all this is, why do you feel the need to go to communion 2 or 3 times a day ? Is this a scrupulosity OCD issue, or do you just think if you do not eat of the Body and blood of Christ that you will somehow be ‘bad’ or so ??

Jesus merely said for people to eat of his body and blood, so once a week should be minimum, but the passover last supper was basically to show that Jesus was sacrificing Himself to save our sins, if we were sorry and truly wanted forgiveness…

He said to eat of his body and blood, and in old Biblical language, when one was said to eat and drink the blood of his enemies, it meant he was to profit and benefit from conquering them.

So remember Jesus also meant when he said to eat and drink of his body, to basically profit from the sacrifice he was giving us, His death on a cross for our sins, which He defeated and rose again from. SO we must profit from His death, i.e, repent and be truly sorry and ask for forgiveness, and Jesus will have paid in full…

Very old thread.

yes, but I answer as it was interesting…

We are not supposed to resurrect and comment in old threads. Same topic can be discussed in a new thread. If you wish to start a new one feel free to do so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.