How much can we as catholics borrow from Judaism

In regards to scripture, would it be ok for me to learn to read Hebrew and read the OT in that way, can I own a copy of the Torah, Tanakh and read it and take it as truth of the Old Law, technically OT is the same thing, but I was in the library and the Torah was there, and I’ve heard the way it’s read and it sounds so beautiful in Hebrew, I wouldn’t want to go against the boundaries of my faith though

im sorry it’s a dumb question but jewish tradition seems very beautiful to me,

i wonder how the early jew converts dealt with it, where they were not losing faith, because Jesus made the faith even stronger, but did have to just lose that tradition aspect of judaism.

Learning the language of the original text and reading the original language is always a good idea. Many Catholic priests, particularly ordered priests, are required to learn at least one of the Biblical languages - Greek or Hebrew - so that they can better study the Sacred Scriptures.

It is certainly okay. You cannot get a degree in theology without being able to read the original Hebrew and Koine Greek. Any text that helps you understand the holy texts is okay. Now as time goes on, you must be careful to compare that to Catholic teaching to determine if they are the same, and if not attempt to reconcile.But most often your study will simply illuminate the texts in wonderful new ways. I know many sisters who teach biblical studies who often go to Jewish midrash sites to get the benefit of the wisdom of rabbis who post their opinions on various points in the OT. Good luck and happy study.

Great question - a fuller understanding of Jewish culture and Judaism can only enhance your Chrisitan life, experience and understanding. Remember that Jesus and all 12 of the apostles were Jews. Early Christianity was actually a sect of Judaism, so much so, that there was debate in Act as to whether Gentiles would need to become Jews (through circumcision) in order to become Christian! :-).

Over the last 2,000 years, Christianity has lost touch with its Jewish roots. I’m Protestant (a Jew who came to Christ and baptized into the Protestant tradition) but one thing I’ve noticed in my relatively recent study/investigation/search of Catholicism is that it is much closer to Judaism in structure and form than I had thought and much more so than the the evangelical Protestant movement that I currently fellowship with.

Blessings,

Brian

Someone on these forums told a story about an anti-Catholic relative who claimed he’d never convert to Catholicism because it was “too Jewish” :smiley:

Some of the Eastern Churches, such as the Maronite Catholics and Chaldean Catholics have liturgies and church architecutre very similar to the Old Covenant temple worship, with bemas and curtains and the like for the the Altar. Also if you read some of the Syriac Fathers of the Patristic Era, you will see how poetic and paradoxical they were in expressing Christian truths, much of which sounds a lot like Jewish thought and logic.

Alaha minokhoun,
Andrew

so it’s perfectly ok to recite for example prayers/blessings common to Judaism directed to God the Father

I believe so - Jesus and then his disciples after him in the early Church years almost certainly recited these very same prayers. In fact “Grace” before meals has its origins in the Kiddush and Hamotzi Hebrew prayers (prayers of blessings and thanks over the fruit of the wine and the bread, respectively, chanted or spoken by Jews before meals).

After the messiah, however, it is common to pray in Jesus name (derived from the scriptural verses which tell us that prayers rendered in Christ’s name will not be refused).

Blessings,

Brian

Catholics have taken the whole of the OT/Hebrew Bible as their own.

Jesus prayed the psalms and was a prayerful Jew.

When I hear we can borrow from Judaism I say Alleluia.

In the early centuries of Christianity there were Jews who converted to Christianity and they wanted to both practice the Catholic faith and continue to keep Jewish observance and rituals. The pope forbade this. He said the old covenant was surpassed and these Christians who were Jews by bloodline would have to chose one or the other. They could not do or be both.

Studying Hebrew and reading scripture are different from observing religious ceremonies or rituals.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.