How much Mass can you miss before you miss Mass?

:shrug: How much Mass can you miss before you miss Mass?

I have been a parishioner in this church for not quite a year and a few things I have to say bother me, which I would like to discuss.

I am a usual attendee of Mass at Saturday at 5pm; I tend to arrive by 4:45 or so. I enter the church, speak to a friends who is an Usher, take my seat, and say a few prayers. When Mass starts at 5pm, I am amazed at how many people come to church late, not a minute or two like when the priest is walking up the isle, but after the first song, prayer, 1st reading, second reading, and after the Deacon does the Gospel. How much Mass can you miss before you miss Mass???

Before every Mass our Cantor reads a short paragraph about how it’s our tradition to worship until the final song is sung, I wish that was actually the case. Week after week I see dozens and dozens of people who leave Mass, right after they get Holy Communion, again I ask How much Mass can you miss before you miss Mass ??? Maybe they are the same people who missed the announcements because they were late arriving at Church?

Growing up I remember getting dressed for Church every Sunday, I remember coming out of my bedroom, my mother looked me and my brother up and down and on occasion would tell us to find something else to wear to church, usually when we looked like we were going to high school football game or dance. I am amazed at how some people dress for church, Michael Jordon Jerseys, flips flops, and dresses that leave little to the imagination.

I don’t want this to come off as negative, because all I am really asking for is that you show up for church on time, wearing respectful clothes, and wait until the mass is truly over before you leave… That’s all.

Sincerely

A Catholic in Orlando

mercyman88,

These links should be helpful in your discussions concerning punctuality and dress for Mass. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Are latecomers allowed to receive Eucharist?
Can you receive Communion if you are late for Mass?
Is it Ok to go to communion if you get to Mass very late?
At what point in Mass does a later arrival not fulfill the Mass obligation?

Are jeans acceptable attire for Mass?
Dress Code for Mass attendance
Marian dress

Recommended Resource:
Don’t Wear That Mini to Mass by Benjamin D. Wiker

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.