How Muslims follow Jesus (pbuh)

The aim of this thread is to show why Muslims consider ourselves to be the true followers of Prophet Jesus (pbuh).

I will give some examples of teachings which Prophet Jesus followed and taught, but which were later abandoned by the Church. However, most of these teachings were revived in the final message of Islam brought by Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and remain a fundamental part of Muslim religious practices until today.

Circumcision

Jesus was circumcised. According to the Old Testament, this tradition began with Prophet Abraham, who was himself neither a Jew nor a Christian. In Genesis 17:10, it is written, “9And God said to Abraham, ‘As for you, you shall keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you throughout their generations. 10This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your descendants after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised. 11You shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskins and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and you. 12He that is eight days old among you shall be circumcised; every male throughout your generations, whether born in your house, or bought with your money from any foreigner who is not of your offspring, 13both he that is born in your house and he that is bought with your money, shall be circumcised. So shall my covenant be in your flesh an everlasting covenant.”

In the Gospel according to Luke 2:21: “And at the end of eight days, when he was circumcised, he was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.”  Consequently, to be circumcised was a part of Jesus’ way. However, today most Christians are not circumcised, because of a rationale introduced by Paul.  He claimed that circumcision was the circumcision of the heart.  In his letter to the Romans 2:29, he wrote: “He is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart, spiritual and not literal.” In his letter to the Galatians 5:2, he wrote: “Now I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you.” This was Paul’s false interpretation. On the other hand, Jesus was not circumcised in the heart nor did he say anything about circumcision of the heart; he kept the “everlasting covenant” and was circumcised in the flesh. Thus, an important part of following the way of Jesus is circumcision.

Muslims follow the way of Jesus (pbuh) and have their male children circumcised at an early age.

Pork

Jesus did not eat pork. He followed the laws of Moses and he did not eat pork. In Leviticus 11:7-8, “7 And the swine, because it parts the hoof and is cloven-footed but does not chew the cud, is unclean to you. 8Of their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not touch; they are unclean to you.” Jesus’ only dealing with pigs was his permission to the unclean spirits which were possessing a man to enter them.  When they entered the herd of pigs, they ran into the water and drowned.  However, most people who call themselves Christians today not only eat pork, they love it so much that they have made pigs the subject of nursery rhymes [e.g. This little piggy went to market...] and children’s stories [e.g. The Three Little Pigs]. Porky Pig is a very popular cartoon character and recently a full-length feature movie was made about a pig called “Babe”. Thus, it may be said that those who call themselves followers of Christ are not in fact following the way of Christ. 

In Islamic law, the prohibition of pork and its products has been strictly maintained from the time of Prophet Muhammad (e) until today. In the Qur’aan, Chapter al-Baqarah (2):173, God says: 

}إِنَّمَا حَرَّمَ عَلَيْكُمُ الْمَيْتَةَ وَالدَّمَ وَلَحْمَ الْخِنْزِيرِ وَمَا أُهِلَّ بِهِ لِغَيْرِ اللهِ فَمَنِ اضْطُرَّ غَيْرَ بَاغٍ وَلاَ عَادٍ فَلاَ إِثْمَ عَلَيْهِ إِنَّ اللهَ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ {

“He has only forbidden you animals which die of themselves, blood, swine and animals sacrificed for others besides Allaah. But if one is forced by necessity and not wilful disobedience nor transgression, then there is no sin on him. Truly, Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”

Blood

Jesus also did not eat anything containing blood, nor did he eat blood. God is recorded as having instructed Prophet Moses in the Torah, Deuteronomy 12:16, “Only you shall not eat the blood; you shall pour it upon the earth like water,” and in Leviticus 19:26, “You shall not eat any flesh with the blood in it. You shall not practice augury or witchcraft.” This prohibition has been preserved in the final revelation in Chapter al-An‘aam (6):145 until today:

} قُلْ لاَّ أَجِدُ فِي مَا أُحِيَ إِلَىَّ مُحَرَّمًا عَلَى طَاعِمٍ يَطْعَمُهُ إِلاَّ أَنْ يَكُونَ مَيْتَةً أَوْ دَمًا مَسْفُوحًا أَوْ لَحْمَ خِنْزِيرٍ فَإِنَّهُ رِجْسٌ {

“Say (O Muhammad): I do not find in what has been revealed to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat, except for animals which die of themselves, flowing blood and swine flesh, for they are indeed impure.”

Consequently, particular rites of slaughter were prescribed by God for all the nations to whom prophets were sent, in order to ensure that most of the blood was effectively removed from the slaughtered animals and to remind human beings of God’s bounties. The Qur’aan refers to these instructions in chapter al-Hajj (22):34 as follows:

} وَ لِكُلِّ أُمَّةٍ جَعَلْنَا مَنْسَكًا لِيَذْكُرُواْ اسْمَ اللهِ عَلَى مَا رَزَقَهُمْ مِنْ بَهِيمَةِ اْلأَنْعَامِ {

“For every nation I have appointed rites of slaughter in order that they may mention Allaah’s name over the cattle He has provided them.”

Jesus and his early followers observed the proper method of slaughter by mentioning God’s name and cutting the jugular veins of the animals while they were living to allow the heart to pump out the blood. However, Christians today do not attach much importance to proper slaughter methods, as prescribed by God.

Muslims follow Jesus (pbuh) by neither eating pork nor blood.

in this thread, will you ignore any comments or questions to which you have no satisfactory answer?

it’s best not to feed this troll people:thumbsup: we know just like the previous threads in this series that ham will just keep on repeating the same point regardless of what is posted by anyone else:rolleyes: these exact same points have been dealt with on other threads that were closed because ham ignored the responses made

Alcohol

Jesus consecrated himself to God and therefore abstained from alcoholic drinks according to the instructions recorded in Numbers 6:1-4: “And the Lord said to Moses, 2‘Say to the people of Israel, When either a man or a woman makes a special vow, the vow of the Nazirite, to separate himself to the Lord, 3he shall separate himself from wine and strong drink; he shall drink no vinegar made from wine or strong drink, and shall not drink any juice of grapes or eat grapes, fresh or dried. 4All the days of his separation he shall eat nothing that is produced by the grapevine, not even the seeds or the skins.”

In the Qur’aan, Chapter al-Maa’idah (5):90, Allaah prohibits intoxicants irrevocably. 

} يَأَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ إِنَّمَا الْخَمْرُ وَالْمَيْسِرُ وَاْلأَنْصَابُ وَاْلأَزْلاَمُ رِجْسٌ مِنْ عَمَلِ الشَّيْطَانِ فَاجْتَنِبُوهُ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُونَ {

“O you who believe, intoxicants, gambling, sacrificial altars, and divination are an abomination of Satan’s handiwork, so avoid them in order to be successful.”

As to the ‘miracle of turning water into wine’, it is found only in the Gospel of John, which consistently contradicts the other three gospels. The Gospel of John was opposed as heretical in the early Church, while the other three Gospels were referred to as the Synoptic Gospels because the texts contained a similar treatment of Jesus’ life. Consequently, New Testament scholars have expressed doubt about the authenticity of this incident.

Muslims follow Prophet Jesus (pbuh) by not consuming alcohol.

Ablution before Prayer

Prior to making formal prayer, Jesus used to wash his limbs according to the teachings of the Torah. Moses and Aaron are recorded as doing the same in Exodus 40:30-1, “30 And he set the laver between the tent of meeting and the altar, and put water in it for washing, 31with which Moses and Aaron and his sons washed their hands and their feet… as the Lord commanded Moses.”

In the Qur’aan, Chapter al-Maa’idah, (5):6, ablution for prayer is prescribed as follows: 

} يَأَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ إِذَا قُمْتُمْ إِلَى الصَّلاَةِ فَاغْسِلُواْ

وُجُوهَكُمْ وَأَيْدِيَكُمْ إِلَى الْمَرَافِقِ وَامْسَحُواْ بِرُءُوسِكُمْ وَأَرْجُلَكُمْ إِلَى الْكَعْبَينِ … {

“O you who believe, when you intend to pray, wash your faces and fore-arms up to the elbows, wipe your heads and wash your feet up to the ankles …”

Prostration in Prayer

Jesus is described in the Gospels as prostrating during prayer. In Matthew 26:39, the author describes an incident which took place when Jesus went with his disciples to Gethsemane: “And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, ‘My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt.”

Christians today kneel down, clasping their hands, in a posture which cannot be ascribed to Jesus.  The method of prostration in prayer followed by Jesus was not of his own making.  It was the mode of prayer of the prophets before him. In the Old Testament, Genesis 17:3, Prophet Abraham is recorded to have fallen on his face in prayer; in Numbers 16:22 & 20:6, both Moses and Aaron are recorded to have fallen on their faces in worship; in Joshua 5:14 & 7:6, Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshipped; in I Kings 18:42, Elijah bowed down on the ground and put his face between his knees. This was the way of the prophets through whom God chose to convey His word to the world; and it is only by this way that those who claim to follow Jesus will gain the salvation which he preached in his Gospel.

Chapter al-Insaan (76):25-6, is only one of many Qur’aanic examples of God’s instructions to the believers to bow down in worship to Him.

} وَاذْكُرِ اسْمَ رَبِّكَ بُكْرَةً وَأَصِيلاً وَمِنَ الَّيْلِ فَاسْجُدْ لَهُ وَسَبِّحْهُ لَيْلاً طَوِيلاً {

“Remember the Name of your Lord in the morning and evening, and prostrate to Him and glorify Him for a long time nightly.”

Muslims follow Jesus (pbuh) in the most profound way possible when we pray just like Jesus prayed i.e. by making ablution before Salat and bowing and prostrating to our Creator during the Salat.

Will you follow Jesus to the cross? Will you join with him and renounce your own faith? Take up your cross daily and follow Him.

Muslims focus on the rituals that Lord Jesus didn’t care about. Neither circumcision, nor food will make you closer to God or will save you and Lord Jesus focused on anything except the ones you are mentioning. Besides, Lord Jesus told his disciples to deal with all these matters after He leaves, including Paul who taught that it is not a piece of skin that saves you but Lord Jesus so circumcision after Jesus means nothing theologically.

Are you baptised as Jesus said? no
Do you take the Eucharist as He said? no
Do you believe in His salvation? no
Are you allowed to eat camel meat? yes (not allowed under Moses’ Law)
Can a divorced woman return to her first husband after marrying another one? yes (despised in the OT)
Do you divorce often? yes, which goes against what Jesus taught
Are you allowed polygamy? yes, something Jesus did not teach.

So you don’t follow the important commandmants and you stick to things that has no meaning after Jesus’ salvation; in other words, you are more like Pharisee, you follow the letter without the Spirit.

guys, don’t expect any answers from ham if he gets stuck - he will ignore anything he doesn’t have a pat answer to
don’t feed the troll…

Jack, lets see maybe he is looking for the answers right now.
He seems to like cut and paste, but I wish he could tell us right from the heart.

i don’t want to sound insulting but my experience taught me that the worst debators are usually Muslims. I enjoy debates between all kinda religions, but when Muslims join in, the level drops drastically.

Jack is correct. Ham is troll playing a dangerous game.

Mr. Hawkins is right, but I hope Hellisreal is as well. Let us all pray to God that He will lead hamba2han to Him then we can celebrate that at last hamba will know the truth.

Ham has spelled out his mission in the past quite explicitly (I could find the quote if you want) - it is for the sake of his soul (brownie points with Allah is you like), not ours - rather different from the Christian approach naturally
yes, ham likes to cut and paste from Muslim apologetics sites, I suspect he may be the proprietor of one

I have a sneaking suspicion that of all the posters who have “replied” to the points presented in this topic, not a single soul can honestly claim to religiously follow **every one ** of the acts of worship that Jesus (pbuh) taught and practiced as mentioned in this thread.

I submit that those who do not make ablution before prayer and who do not bow and prostrate to their Creator in their prayers simply do not have a clue as to the immense significance of these acts of worship.

Followers really do need to play the part i.e. it is essential that they actually follow the actions and example set by the one they profess to follow, not merely sit back and pontificate on the “true meaning” of the things that he taught.

After all, actions do indeed speak a whole lot louder than words… and this applies especially so for Messengers of God like Jesus (pbuh).

Ok, so your saying you’re Jewish?

I have a sneaking suspicion that of all the posters who have “replied” to the points presented in this topic, not a single soul can honestly claim to religiously follow **every one ** of the acts of worship that Jesus (pbuh) taught and practiced as mentioned in this thread.

that’s if He taught as you are saying. Jesus taught that ALL food is ok, got a problem with that? Jesus taught that circumcision will NOT save you but you still can be circumsized if you are a Jew, got a problem with that? Alcohol is not prohibited in the first place but drunkness is, a bit of alcohol is good for the body, any problem with that?

quote]* ab what? like if you dont wash certain parts God will not listen to you ? oh please. Jesus did not teach this sorry.

and who do not bow and prostrate in their prayers simply do not have a clue as to the immense significance of these acts of worship.

Jesus taught us to teach standing, and looking at heaven as well, and to say “our Father”. Do you do like this?*

Just wanted to tell you to add in Charlottes Webb on the childrens stories that revolve around a pig. Its a touching story about love, life and death. :slight_smile:

Also, I do cross myself with holy water before entering the pew at Mass. Does this count for “washing”? I think it DOES.:smiley:

Thanks be to God I am a woman so circumcision is of no matter to me. Wheew.

I do like an occasional glass of wine and really dont see how you can say Jesus did not drink wine. Paul mentiones to take it for a sour stomach. :thumbsup:

How do you live by the same examples of the teaching of the Lord Jesus, followed and taught? Here is just one example of how you do not.

Matthew 26

52 Then Jesus saith to him: Put up again thy sword into its place: for all that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

John is “corrupt” lol typical. What about Luke:

Luke 7:33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine , and you say, ‘He has a demon.’ 34 The Son of Man has come eating (bread) and drinking (wine), and you say, ‘Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’

Well Lord Jesus had no problem with wine as you can see, anf before you accuse our dear Paul :wink:

Ok i know the answer, this passage is corrupt as well! Christians want to put their Lord in a bad light :smiley:

how about

St Matthew 5:

43 You have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thy enemy. 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies: do good to them that hate you: and pray for them that persecute and calumniate you:

I find it hard to believe that Muslims follow this very important teaching of Jesus, when they are always saying that theymust punish the unbeliever.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.