how not to be poor

From other thread on “giving to the poor”

Everyone is “qualified” to play pro basket ball. But that doesn’t mean it is the career they were meant to have. Some people were meant to have a career in the warehousing industry or medical or elsewhere. You just have to come to grips with what you are good at even if it something that does not seem like a dream job at first.

That sounds like a manager who will not be moving up the chain very fast. I have worked in jobs where I did not get immediate recognition from my manager but developed a reputation as a good worker and had other opportunities open for me.

This is a case of do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If you want decent wages then buy products from companies that pay decent wages.

The better alternative is to open more not for profit businesses. We see them opening in the financial and medical industries already and there is no reason they could not open as small businesses on the local level.

I wasn’t talking about all American workers. I am talking about those who subscribe to the do just enough to not get fired theory. I do not like seeing the companies going to foreign suppliers, it is just the hard reality of life when the average consumer only thinks of price.

I once had an employee who was assigned to me who was far overqualified for the job. They wanted more responsibility, a promotion, and more opportunity. I just needed a person to do semi medial work. The person kept complaining that I was not letting them do the work they were qualified to do. Unfortunately what they wanted to do did not coincide with what I needed done. I worked with the personnel manager that assigned the person to my team and got the person into a better job (two level promotion) but bottom line is that there are brackets of pay for every type of job and if you want to get out of that bracket you need to work towards a promotion.

That is a choice you have to make. Earn money or have fun.
If several other people can do the job you are doing and are willing to do it for about the same pay, why should a boss pay you more just because you want more money but are unwilling to get a harder job? Don’t those other people have a right to your job if you are unsatisfied with the wages?

The best way to help them is to encourage them to work to their God given potential. Let’s face it about 1/3rd of our country is on some form of government assistance. If all of those people were working to their potential we could greatly increase the standard of living for all.

It’s time as Americans (mainly employers) we strarting wanting people for what they are good at instead of our selfish desires( ie , multitasking)… As long as the status quo continues watch public assistance continue to grow. Even though Im of a conservative mindset in general, I see this public assistance situation as deserved by Americans as a whole for wanting what they want out of others rather than what other are caple of and good at. I’m licking my chops to debate the first person to disagree with this.

But what about those who are great at things that do not bennefit society as a whole, or are of marginal bennefit who pursue those tasks instead of things that are more valuable to society? The only reasons these jobs are available is because so many people are willing to do them. As an example walmart greaters. I know of several people who would love to have such a job when they retire just because of the pleasure of interacting with others. With out the low wages such jobs would not be available. There are other jobs that are entry level jobs that likewise do not pay well but offer experience or a variety of other bennefits.

I don’t feel the problem is the availability of low paying jobs, I think the problem is that so few people know how to get into the better jobs. As an example, It has always bugged me when highschools brag about how many of their graduates went on to college. A better metric would be how many people got to college or a decent job. It also bothers me when they talk about graduation rates but fail to qualify that with quantitative evidence that the students got a decent education.

In my case I’m a degreed meteorologist who never found the job in my field, but Ive been at Dominos pizza 16 years and resent it. Everyone knows I’m awesome at the cut table and atrocious at best on phones. Where am I wanted and where Im not wanted!!! give you a hint they are trying to fit a square peg in a triangle hole. I should be forcasting weather not hustling pizzas, but Im wanted for the pizza job and no one wants me for where I belong. within the pizza business I kept away from what I’m good at and told to do what Ill never get good at. If I argue with them on it, I can go find a new job, something I’m not good at. I long to be wanted for something I’m good at or not feeling awkward doing.

What are the minimum job qualifications to play basket ball? Last I heard is you just have to get selected by a team but it does not require a degree, license, certificate or anything. Bottom line is just being qualified is no guarantee you can make a living at it. It is not a metaphysical idea. Simply that with prayer and an open heart you can follow the path that God wants you to follow. If you follow that path you will get everything you need.

I thought you were talking about your direct manager.

No, I am saying that the consumer has a role and they can choose to support manufactures that are more ethical. Also you have the ability to work with others to create a business that is more ethical if you choose to. If you and your friends create a not for profit business it should be able to easily compete with the for profit businesses.

Think of harder job in a broader sense of harder to tolerate. It sounds like you want the more enjoyable job with the pay of the less enjoyable job.

It is more than just putting in an eight hour day it is the extra effort such as night courses, uncompensated overtime, making hard decisions in the work place that may make you less popular with coworkers, it is putting in the extra effort all of the time. Obviously this is not a guarantee of success, nor is goofing off a guarantee of failure. However, in the vast majority of cases hard honest work does pay off.

Wow, you must be sending out a few hundred resumes a day!

Basically Prosperity Gospel. You have enough Faith you’ll have success.

I thought you were talking about your direct manager.

No remember I said that my direct manager is a decent guy. He does however, have to follow the lead of his managers.

No, I am saying that the consumer has a role and they can choose to support manufactures that are more ethical. Also you have the ability to work with others to create a business that is more ethical if you choose to. If you and your friends create a not for profit business it should be able to easily compete with the for profit businesses.

Which again seems to just be another way of saying: “current business practices do not need to be addressed. Instead more efficient forms of charity need to be established make up for industry failures.”

Think of harder job in a broader sense of harder to tolerate. It sounds like you want the more enjoyable job with the pay of the less enjoyable job.

No, I just think that profits within a company would be better placed with in its infrastructure and workers, instead of being held up at the very top. Now albeit its technically their money, so they can do what they want. But what they’re doing isn’t really helping American business. Essentially Upper management soaks money they don’t earn it. Upper management creates problems they don’t solve them. Basically the people who you seem to think are inviolate because they’ve gotten into the higher positions display all the characteristics of those you say you wouldn’t hire. They’re in it for the money, and really could care less about the consequences of their actions, or lack thereof.

It is more than just putting in an eight hour day it is the extra effort such as night courses, uncompensated overtime, making hard decisions in the work place that may make you less popular with coworkers, it is putting in the extra effort all of the time. Obviously this is not a guarantee of success, nor is goofing off a guarantee of failure. However, in the vast majority of cases hard honest work does pay off.

All of things you just said are not actions of an exceptional worker. They’re standard expectations for continued employment. In other words “the bare minimum”.

***** Edited for grammar

I’ll put it this way. I’m sending out as many resumes as there are perspective possitions I can find to send a resume to. Sometimes I’m dissapointed at how few I can find. Between the being wanted for things I’m not good at or wanted for multi-multi tasking. Also having a certain identity disorder no one seems to be willing to let me deal with in my own way. Becoming a hermit is looking better and better as time goes by.

no

Are you to fare removed fro those managers to truly understand the reasons they are making those decisions?

I am satisfied with current business practices. I just provided a way for an organization to provide what you want with out invoking more oppressive regulation.

I used to think the same way until I worked my way up the chain and started working more closely with executives.

If everyone followed that definition of the bare minimum we would be a lot better off.

Trying to figure out if you are being sarchastic here.

Identity disorder?

I hope that if you are not happy where you are, you are sending out resumes to companies whether they are hiring or not. I have seen companies create jobs to get good workers.

I’m in the pprocess of trying to create a staff meteorologist job with an up and coming growing radio station partnership trying to bring back full service small town radio.
I’m not happy where things are for me. Im at one day a weekd at my pizza job because the manager hates 40 something people, I have a foreclosure hearing on my house next week, and living mainly on piddley luittle unemployement. As for the disorder you have to pm me for that and Ill answer you. Yes I’m being somewhat but not toally sarcastic. someday in the future, I don’t when for sure, if I can’t get hired for what I’m good at. I will have had all I can take and likely leave society for hermithood,and shake the dust from my feet and give where I’m leaving the bird.

Have you heard that it usually helps to have serious basketball skills? And experience? And to be tall?

I think those have something to do with “getting selected by a team.” Or the recruiter, anyway. Last I heard, joining the New York Knicks was not quite like joining the Berlin Philharmonic (not sure your potential teammates have a say in the matter).

Then what is it? You’ve presented two contradictory propositions. One is a scenario where that people are mystically destined for a certain function and will not find success if they don’t take that path. The other scenario is one where that an individual self-mainfests his/her destiny based on how much effort he puts into it.

Are you to fare removed fro those managers to truly understand the reasons they are making those decisions?

I’m two steps positional steps away, and I’m corporate, so I work directly with them often.

I am satisfied with current business practices. I just provided a way for an organization to provide what you want with out invoking more oppressive regulation.

You might be the first person I’ve talked to who thinks that everything is fine, with America’s corporate structures.

I used to think the same way until I worked my way up the chain and started working more closely with executives.

It went the opposite for me. I grew up believing all the things you’re saying here. Then I started moving up the corporate ladder, and further up I go, the more it feels like chasing the White Rabbit.

If everyone followed that definition of the bare minimum we would be a lot better off.

Its mostly what I’m used to. You leave when work is done. It isn’t optional. Whenever your superiors need you, you’re available 24/7. Its not healthy by any stretch of the imagination, and its murder on family, but it is what is required for a corporate position.

If you are spiritually rich, you won’t feel poor at any time!http://www.photosnag.com/img/4673/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif

You don’t think there is any middle ground between your dream job and current job? Or are you jolding out for your dream job?

I think we are in violent agreement here. Just because you meet some minimum standard and want to do something and try really hard does not mean you will be successfull. You have to also accept your limitations and realize that the job you want may not be a job you have any hope of being successfull in. While people understand that in a sports annalogy, they don’t always comprehend that it applies to other pursuits as well; not everyone is cut out to be a doctor, engineer, interior decorator, etc, etc, etc. The important thing is to accept your limitations and search out your gifts, not just mope around waiting for a job you have no chance of making a living at.

It’s not an either or situation. You have to be open to accepting the work you are qualified for and then you have to give it your all.
If you are going down a dead end road it doesn’t matter how much you push on the throttle. If you are on the right path it doesn’t help if you don’t hit the gas. So you hit the gas and when you realize you are on a dead end road you have to change directions.

I didn’t say that I think EVERYTHING is fine. I just feel more government regulation will make things worse.

maybe that’s because you hit your glass ceiling.

That is what the military goes through. The difference is when they get a call in the night telling them to report immediately they may never come home.

If you are not happy with this line of work have you ever considered it a sign that you should be doing something else?

While the thread is more pointed to material needs, you are on the target.

Here in this country we seem to define poor people as those who don’t have some expected number of luxuries. When I was young and all but living out of my car I identified success as being able to eat and not worrying about paying for that one next meal. That period of my life gave me a much better appreciation of my life and just how blessed I am. Prayer / church, family, and friends are all free!

Sorry if I am starving and don’t have the material means to fix that all the spiritual wealth in existance is not going to mean a thing to me when I’m delerious from my blood sugar botteming out, with a headache to top if off. If I have a migraine from starving and I am dizzy from an empty stomach , all I’m thinking about is food till that problem is fixed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.