How often can we receive Communion?

I was wondering, can we receive the Eucharist on the Easter Vigil Mass and then the Easter morning Mass on Sunday as well?

Yes, you can. The Easter Vigil Mass is an entirely separate liturgy than Mass on Easter Sunday. By attending it, one does not fulfill one’s obligation to attend Mass on Easter Sunday.

That’s incorrect. Easter Vigil does fulfill Easter Sunday obligations.

And to answer the OP’s question:

Yes, you may receive both times. :slight_smile:

Attending the Easter Vigil does fulfill one’s (Easter) Sunday obligation. More importantly, the Easter Vigil takes place on an entirely separate day as the Easter day Masses. Ordinarily, you may receive Communion twice per day, with the second reception at a Mass at which you participate.*

(* Though it may last beyond midnight, thus spilling over to Easter day)

(** So even if the Vigil does last beyond midnight, you could still make a second reception at a second Mass)

tee

My mistake. I was told as a child by the sisters many moons ago that we had to go to Mass on Easter Sunday even if we attended the Easter Vigil. All my life I have taken that as a given and never found any reason to question it. It doesn’t seem right to me but if that is the Church’s teaching, who am I to say differently! Thanks for setting me right.

tee

Maybe, maybe not.

The only rule is that it has to start after full dark and end before daybreak. Some parishes don’t start their Vigil until the wee hours of the morning, finishing just at daybreak. You would still be able to receive Communion at the Easter Day Mass of course, but then that would be the second time for the day.

So if you go to two Good Friday services, you can only receive Communion at the first service, not the second because it is not a Mass? Is that correct?

No. No maybe/maybe not. If you attend the Easter Vigil you fulfill the Easter obligation.

What? No. Is there a serious pastoral concern here about someone attending two Good Friday services? why on earth would anyone do this (excepting, of course, liturgical ministers)?

Can you please clarify?

My mistake. I was told as a child by the sisters many moons ago that we had to go to Mass on Easter Sunday even if we attended the Easter Vigil.<<

Once upon a time, before the mid 50’s or so, the Vigil of Holy Saturday with its Mass was celebrated in the morning of Holy Saturday itself.

This is probably why at that time you had to go to Mass on Easter day.

Yes but I see no logical or liturgical or theological reason that one would want to unless serving in an essential liturgical ministry.

The ‘maybe/maybe not’ was about the Vigil being on a separate day, not about it fulfilling one’s obligation for Easter. I should have done a better job of editing the previous post.

Canon Law:

Can. 917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 921, §2.

Can. 921 §1. The Christian faithful who are in danger of death from any cause are to be nourished by holy communion in the form of Viaticum.

§2. Even if they have been nourished by holy communion on the same day, however, those in danger of death are strongly urged to receive communion again.

Can. 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.