How often do Christian denominations celebrate the Eucharist?

I know Catholics celebrate it daily, and Anglicans/Episcopalians and Lutherans celebrate it weekly, but what about other Protestant denominations (Baptist, Pentecostal, Methodist, etc.)?

Thanks
:signofcross:

The pentecostal church that in grew up in I can’t remember them having communion any more than once a year

I was raised a Baptist. Once a month…

Presbyterians are about once a month or once a season, not sure. Scott Hahn had his church celebrating every week… of course that was before he swam the TIber, but he had his toe in it.

Catholics, of course, celebrate it all the time. Most parishes offer daily masses throughout the week, and give the wonderful fact that there are 24 time zones and masses in every time zone, the Catholic Mass never ceases.

Methodists would celebrate communion once a month. At the church I grew up in it was the 1st Sunday of the month. I think there may be some Methodist churches that celebrate it more or less than this. :shrug:

At non-denominational churches it is pretty much left up to the congregation. I went to one that was every week while I went to one growing up that was once a quarter.

For Methodists it is up to the each local church; once a month is typical

That is why our name is “Catholic” which means Universal. :thumbsup:

The Anglican parishes I grew up in generally had a communion service every first, third, and fifth Sunday.
My mother, who was raised Mennonite, often said that we had communion too often in her opinion – she would’ve preferred communion to be saved for Easter and Christmas (etc).
While at university the parish I attended had weekly communion. During Lent, however, we celebrated communion on Wednesday mornings as well.

• Reg.

In fact, Christian denominations can not and do not celebrate the Eucharist.
They lack the priesthood that is capable of celebrating the Eucharist.

Various Protestant groups hold their communion services at different times.

The Episcopal churches near me hold to the faith belief that they have the Holy Eucharist with a literal physical Real Presence. They both have their Eucharist weekly at their Saturday and Sunday services. One of the churches also does every Tues and TH morning. The other seasonally on Wed mornings.

A United Church of Christ near me has a Communion service quarterly and at a few other times during the yr.

The Disciples of Christ have Communion weekly.

A friend of mine is SDA and her church has their Communion service and washing of the feet quarterly.

All of the above practice open Communion though. Even the Episcopal churches where they believe in the presense of Christ’s literal body nevetheless say if one feels called, so be it.

I go to a Pentecostal church and we do it once a month. Every first Sunday.

We use to do feet washing but we haven’t done that in a while.

The UPC church I went to did it on the new year’s service, although the pastor regularly skipped it because we were “focusing too much on it” or something. Basically, he felt it was too Catholic.

Exactly right.

Never. No mere denomination has the Eucharist.

That is a very good question that I also would like to know the answers to.

:hmmm:

My UCC congregation holds the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper first Sunday of each month. The generic protestant chapel at my college does it about as often, I think, but we also did have the Eucharist this Ash Wednesday.

Haha the Church was Catholic long before she spread into all those time zones, I think.

I bet the person your signature quotes would have disagreed. :wink:

I’ve never seen Lewis’s stance on the Real Presence, have you? And how would it be relevant to the discussion, as he was an Anglican?

Unless I misunderstood you, you had said that non-Catholic denominations like the Church of England do not have a “valid” Eucharist, regardless of what their members might believe. So I was just pointing out the irony of you quoting C.S.Lewis in your signature while making a statement so dismissive of his church.

How is it ironic that I could agree with Lewis (after whom, incidentally, I named one of my sons) on most of what he believed and taught, but not on everything? Must we agree fully with every author before we can admire or quote them? :shrug:

That is correct, however. Denominational churches (of which the Catholic Church is not one, by definition) do not receive the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ. And very few even claim that they do. So I’m confused - are you stating that the Anglican Church believes in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist? I had not heard that. Do you have a source I might read?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.