How often do you check your conscience to see if you committed a mortal sin?

How often do you check your conscience to see if you comited a mortal sin?

1 Like

I don’t need to “check” whether I committed a mortal sin. By definition, a mortal sin is committed knowingly and willingly, so you would know at the time of committing the sin that you had done so.

6 Likes

It’s good to make an examination of conscience every night–I review the commandments.

Along the lines of what dshix said above, here is a passage from St. Alphonsus Liguori:

St. Alphonsus Liguori:
Here it will be well to remark, what is unanimously admitted by all theologians, even of the rigorist school, that persons who have during a considerable period of time been leading a virtuous life, and live habitually in the fear of God, whenever they are in doubt, and are not certain whether they have given consent to a grievous sin, ought to be perfectly assured that they have not lost the Divine grace; for it is morally impossible that the will, confirmed in its good purposes for a considerable lapse of time, should on a sudden undergo so total a change as at once to consent to a mortal sin without clearly knowing it; the reason of it is, that mortal sin is so horrible a monster that it cannot possible enter a soul by which it has long been held in abhorrence, without her being fully aware of it. We have proved this at length in our Moral Theology. [Lib. 6, D. 476.] St. Teresa said: No one is lost without knowing it; and no one is deceived without the will to be deceived. [Life, addit.]

2 Likes

A mortal sin is typically a big enough deal that you don’t have to go through a checklist every night to see if you happened to commit one that day.
It’s like if you crash your car into a building. You know when you do it. You don’t have to walk around your car that night to see if you damaged it or not.

2 Likes

Never really. I spent at least a year battling them…but found out what to do to stop it and continur to do it. Now…not even a temptation for any of them because i watch for the signs im slipping up in other venial areas 1st

I just want to say when i 1st started this journey…to be free of mortal sin…i didnt know what sin was or which were mortal or any of that. Alot of self study …prayer…and asking for guidance in the condessional. With time i learned. Praise God! So dont feel bad for not knowing and checking with yourself.

In the begining i checked daily. I wrote things down also to ask.

God Bless♡

1 Like

Daily. It is part of Night Prayer.

Wow I like that explanation is super!

This is good advice (same as St. Alphonsus Liguori in my previous post!) with the caveat St. Alphonsus makes. Someone who is new to trying to follow the commandments rather than living a habitual life of sin in self-deception may not have that sensitivity immediately. But once you have lived with that good purpose for a bit, it’s like you say, you can’t miss it. Like St. Teresa says, no one is lost without knowing it; no one is deceived without the will to be deceived.

Everyday I check to see if I committed a mortal sin.

I’m very scrupulous

1 Like

This is a good point. I never think in terms of people being so new to the concept of religion that they don’t quite know what a sin is. If you have been involved with any Christian religion, Judaism or Islam you will likely understand sin and what might be a serious sin, but it’s possible I guess that someone raised with no religion at all would not have that sense yet.

Personally I prefer to check daily that I have cooperated in grace.

I read a good analogy by St. Catherine of Siena that our conscience is like a guard dog. If you keep him well fed and in good shape he’ll alert you immediately to any danger. But if you neglect him and don’t feed him, he will be weak and non-responsive.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who have through their own fault neglected their conscience and therefore feel nothing when they deliberately commit a grave evil (which is sadly quite apparent in the world). Re-orienting and re-invigorating a blunted conscience isn’t necessarily an instantaneous thing!

Every night but I check generally. However, I have to admit that I am not always successful but the Holy Spirit gently starts nudging until I get the message.

I think it’s good to make an act of thanksgiving too at night, so we don’t just think about the sins we’ve committed, but all the good things God has provided too. :+1:

This year I have used 1 Corinthians 13 as my examine of conscience.

I examine my conscience all the time,it worries me if I’ve spoken to someone about someone else that isn’t conducive
to their good.I like what someone else said about keeping an eye on veniel sin so that mortal sin cant have a chance to happen .

Almost never. I check my conscience for venial sins, but not for mortal ones. If I committed a mortal sin, I would know it and rush to Confession.

I am prone to scrupulosity, so for my own good, I avoid that kind of exercise.

1 Like

I don’t. That’s one problem with the Catholic Church I have. All we do is focus on the bad. It’s enough to drive someone crazy. This past summer I was in the confessional multiple times a week confessing my same personal demons and thriving on them. Is this really what God wants from us? To be living in a state of feeling like a failure? Because that’s how I felt. It’s a terrible feeling and sometimes I believe it’s the reason people leave the church.
Temptation sucks but to be told you are cut off from God even if you act as selflessly as a saint but give in to lust on occasion is a real tragedy of the Church.

We need to start focusing on good we do and glorifying God as opposed to always feeling like a pitiful failure who can never live up to his expectations of us.

I examine my conscience daily with regards to sin in general and ask forgiveness but I don’t worry overly about mortal sin because I keep the commandments as my guide. If breaking one of the commandments ever crosses my mind I would think whoa, no way that’s a mortal sin! So I wouldn’t commit one unknowingly. Not that you CAN commit one unknowingly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.