How often do you read the Bible?

Me? I feel not often enough. I used to be an avid reader but nowadays I read online more than anything else. Most bible studies in my community read another book in conjunction with the bible.

So I would like to know…do you do daily readings? Do your readings have a particular length or some sort of structure?

I read the KJV everyday and I read about 3 to 5 chapters a day.

daily. I read the daily mass readings even if I don’t go to Mass. I also read the divine office daily, at least the vespers and that is bible readings.

I do not read the bible enough, is it possible to do so? Every time I take a passage from it and give it the Lectio Divina treatment I learn something new, or understand it to a greater depth of insight.

Reading the Sacred Scriptures is one of my favorite hobbies. I just wish I could do it more.

I read the daily mass readings from the weekday missel. And I have a devotional booklet called living faith.

I read the daily mass readings from the weekday missel. And I have a devotional booklet called living faith.

My wife and I started reading the Bible from cover to cover about a year ago using an organizational chart so as to read it in chronological order which requires the chart because of all the skipping around, especially in the Old Testament.:slight_smile:

I think I read it often enough. It’s living it, not reading it, I need to do more of!

James 1:22

Be doers of the word and not hearers only, deluding yourselves.

If you’ll count praying Lauds and Vespers (together 4-5 psalms, 1 OT canticle, 1 NT canticle, 2 Gospel canticles, and 2 bible readings), then daily.

I’m also starting a second attempt at reading through the Bible, but his time WITHOUT the insane 60-day goal.

I read the bible daily, sometimes it’s not a long reading… but I remember Jesus always. We all need help to understand, I’m often just like the Eunuch in Acts… I’m always thankful for the Holy Spirit sending another Philip to me.

I’ve done a couple of surveys on this topic lately that you may find of interest.
Poll: Catholics and Bible reading.
Poll: Non-Catholics & Bible reading

I read every day to start my day and have read he Bible cover-to-cover three times. I am not half way through my fourth time. My Bible is one of my most prized possessions. Sacred Scripture is part of my life and my day seems incomplete without opening the word of God.

I have also facilitated Bible study in my home for several years using the studies at biblestudyforcatholics.com. I will be starting an eleven week study of Revelation in a few weeks.

As Neofight said…

***Be strong and of good courage, and do it. Fear not, be not dismayed; for the LORD God, even my God, is with you. *(1 Chronicles 28:20)

The problem is not reading the word of God but doing the word of God.

-Tim-

Back when I was a Protestant, I would read the Bible multiple times a day trying to delve into the word for my own iterpretation of it. This eventually led me to realize how wrong my traditional protestant beliefs were and how much I needed to go back to the true “Bible” Church: The Catholic Church. As a Catholic, I have to say that my Bible reading has dwindled. I am a full time student so I have a ton of school work all the time. I usually will read the Bible almost daily and maybe miss one or two days in the week.

I am working towards highlighting and annotating an entire Bible. I use Haydock’s Bible Commentary and go through a chapter reading and highlighting it inmy Bible and then seeing what saint quotes there are or good commentaries that I will write in the margins of the Bible especially if they are Catholic doctrines. I am not far in this project, though, only part way through Genesis, the Gospel of St. John, and Acts.

The Liturgy of the Hours is also a great way to get daily Bible reading but for me I am always yearning for more than just those few verses afterwards.

Blessings!

Every time I say the Liturgy of the Hours.

I never understood why Protestants usually read the Bible more than Catholics do.

I guess it’s because Protestants put more emphasis on Bible reading than Catholics usually do. Some Lutheran churches actually require their confirmation students to read from the Bible frequently, even daily.

We read it…but more importantly, if we are good Catholics we live it well.

I read the Daily Readings everyday.

I try my best everyday to do my readings outside of the Liturgy of the Hours. I follow a Read-the-Bible-in-a-year method, and usually try to do 2-3 days worth of readings in a sitting, sometimes I can’t because of time. It’s two OT readings and a NT reading which I find really useful, especially when you are working through tougher books like Leviticus or Deutoronomy.

Yeah… Leviticus isn’t very bad at all, in my opinion. I have a much tougher time getting through Kings or Chronicles :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.