How often do you read the Bible?

I was wondering about how members here are doing with their Bible reading and how many and which ones they use.

I often joke that I’m pretty sure that I have more translations of scripture than The Almighty and that not all of them are that handy.

I have the following translations:

[LIST=1]
*]Amplified Bible
*]King James Bible
*]Jerusalem Bible
*]New American Standard Bible
*]Good News Bible (Catholic and non)
*]The New English Bible
*]New King James Version NT
*]The Living Bible
*]Douay Rheims Bible
*]New American Bible
*]Revised Standard Version
*]Revised Standard Version CE 2nd (2 copies)
*]Confraternity Bible
[/LIST]
I have read the Bible completely about 6 or 8 times in several different translations and continue to do so, though more slowly now as I seek to soak it all in. It’s an integral part of my Catholic faith.

I’m on my fourth read straight through the Bible, and yes that means not skipping Leviticus. I have read many other books of the Bible dozens and dozens of times.

Like you CM, it is a part of my faith, part of my life infact. My day does not seem complete unless I read at least a little bit of the Word of God, usually for ten or fifteen minutes at breakfast.

I have had facilitated Scripture Study in my home for four years. We use Jeff Cavins/Great Adventure (biblestudyforcatholics.com) for the studies. These are authentically and organically Catholic studies, faithful to the magesterium and teachings of the Church.

The NASB converted me back to the Catholic faith but I gave it to a non-Catholic friend. I have a Douay Rheims (Challoner) but it is more of a collector’s item, somewhat old and I don’t read it regularly, and several versions of the NAB. My go to translation is the RSV-CE. I have a large Ignatius RSV-CE New Testament study Bible and carry my thinline leather zippered Oxford Press RSV-CE wherever I go.

One of my fears is that I stand before Jesus and he says, “You read the Bible many times and so you really can’t claim ignorance. You knew, so why could you not do?” But the scriptures are living, with the power to convert and sanctify. Jesus is there, in those pages. The Holy Spirit works through those chapters and verses.

-Tim-

I have started several "read through the Bible" programs but don't remember if I've ever finished one. I'm not very methodical.

I pray Morning prayer and the daily Mass readings so can safely say I read the Bible daily, I'm also involved with a couple of Bible studies.

I own many translations. My preferred reading version is the RSV-CE, I also have and use the New American, New Jerusalem, Revised English (which I like a lot) Douay-Reims and King James. Also on the shelf: Good News Translation, Contemporary English (NT only), Living Bible (from my teenaged pre-Catholic days, NIV (which I hate, but as it's what most Evangelicals use, it's important for dialogue), and New King James Version. On the Kindle, Holman Christian Standard Version and Ignatius (which is RSC-CE2). There may be a few others around that I've forgotten. Truth is most often for study purposes these days I use Biblos.com for referencing/cross-checking. . . .

Sally

I have been reading the Bible daily, usually before work, and each night before bed for just over 5 years now. I have read through the entire Bible roughly 8 times. (Different translations and repeats). To be honest, it has become so much a part of my day, I'll get up as early as needed to spend time with the Bible on any day.

Translations I own, and have read through at least once:

1. Douay Rheims Challoner - My personal favorite for daily reading
  2. KVJ w\Apocrypha - close 2nd to the DR (It's a Cambridge that is physically beautiful)
  3. RSV CE- My favorite later translation
  4. NRSV - Own it, read it, should probably sell it.
  5. NAB - Own it, read it once. Least favorite of my translations
  6. RSV w\Apocrypha Oxford Study Bible - Read it and take it to Bible study groups

It amazes me how much this has become a part of my life. When I first started reading every day, my goal was to simply read through it, read the notes, start again. As I've read it through so many times now, I too read much more slowly. I absolutely prefer the DR as my daily reader for a number of reasons, including the book intros and notes.

In a nutshell, reading the Bible has become as much a daily activity for me as praying the rosary. I actually feel as though my day is not complete if I don't read some portion of it!

I'm ashamed to say that I really need to read my bible more.

My reading tends to be in other books...mainly toward the more mystical...I'm currently reading (slowly) "Consoling the heart of Jesus".

That said, I have three bibles:
1) An NAB that the print got too small for me...:shrug:
2) An RSV-CE with print that hasn't shrunk yet...:D
3) A New Jerusalem Bible that my wife had when we married (she bought it because it was illustrated by Salvador Dali).

The Bible I use generally is the RSV because, as mentioned the printing in the NAB shrunk and got all blurry...and the New Jerusalem is pretty big and a bit unwieldy.

Peace
James

[quote="TimothyH, post:2, topic:354152"]
I'm on my fourth read straight through the Bible, *and yes that means not skipping Leviticus. *-Tim-

[/quote]

You have my admiration, sir! :D

The New American Bible is my personal Bible.

I have read the New Testament entirely several times.

The Psalms and the book of Lamentations are the Old Testament books that I read often.

Have read parts of other Old Testament books.

Have learned from these threads that I need to read the Catechism more, which I now include in my study times.

I have a lot of Bibles, how many :shrug:??? Maybe this will make me count them!:confused:

The Bible I use the most is the RSV-2CE, I use it everyday for with the LOTH and I use the Ignatius Press Catholic Lectionary (RSV-2CE) for the daily mass readings every morning.

I use the Catholic Lectionary (NAB) for all the Sunday readings (I read at Mass, and I teach RCIA every Sunday).

I use the NABRE for the Bible Study group that I lead.

Other translations that I have are:

RSV-CE
NAB (in all its forms)
Jerusalem Bible
New Jerusalem Bible
Christian Community Bible
NRSV
Revised English Bible (REB)
Douay-Rheims
Confraternity-DR
KJV
ESV (digital only)
Holman Christian Standard Bible (digital only)
NIV
2- parallel New Testaments
1-parallel complete Bible

I think that is all!

I try to read the Bible every day, but am not always successful at doing so, so I said more than 4 times a week. I have read parts of the Bible many times, but I am on my first serious attempt to read the entire Bible (NT is done, in 2Kings on the OT).

I own several Bibles (listed in order of favorite):
1. Revised Standard Version-Second Catholic Edition (my primary study Bible)
2. Douay-Rheims (love this classic Catholic Bible - have an original PJ Kennedy and a Tan reprint)
3. Jerusalem Bible-Popular Edition (I read this when I want a change of pace)
4. New American Bible w/ Revised NT & Psalms (the Bible I used for RCIA. I really only use it to prep readings for Mass and plan to hand it on to my kids (will upgrade this to NABRE when we have a revised lectionary).

And, of course, on my smartphone: Lighthouse Catholic Media app (RSV-CE), Laudate (Douay and NABRE), with bookmarks to Jerusalem and Knox saved to the screen (since there's no app for either).

I've also got a Knox on loan from the library and have been mixing that in to my reading mix, and am seriously looking at adding one to my shelf (will probably sit at #3 on my list above).

And I do consider that i need to read the Bible more.

My 'most used' from the above list would be my LCM Bible App, if for no other reason than I use it to mark my place when I'm reading from other translations (I do read it on the app as well, and my phone serves as my 'travel' Bible).

I read the Bible daily. Right now, I’m on the “read the Bible and the Catechism in a year” program from Coming Home network. I’ve completed it before so I know I’ve read both completely at least once. (I was fascinated with Leviticus!) Additionally, I’ve been studying the Bible for the last 8 or 9 years in a Church based bible study. We will take a school year (Sept-May) and study one longer book or a couple shorter ones-- very in depth study. So far, in Bible study, I’ve read and studied : the Gospels of Matthew and John, Acts, Romans, Genesis, Revelation, Ephesians, Galatians, Philippians, Colossians, the letters of Peter, James and John. We also covered “the Power and Promises of the Prophets” which was an assortment of OT Scriptures from Isaiah, Ezekiel, Jeremiah, and a few others. All of those studies include a ton of cross references so I’ve covered a lot of reading just in cross references.

Bible’s I have:

DRV-Challoner
RSV-CE 2nd ed.
Jerusalem Bible (1966)
Catholic Comparative Bible
KJV
Ignatius Study Bible
Navarre Study Bible -Most of the NT and some of the Old
CTS Bible- basically a Jerusalem Bible using the word "Lord instead of “Yahweh” and it has Grail Psalms.

I also get the daily readings sent to me via email. I wish I were in the position to go to daily Mass, but alas, that is not open to me at this time.

Hmm, preferences is tough, but I have to go with the RSV-CE. It has the most familiar renderings for most of my favorite Scriptures. I also like the 1966 Jerusalem Bible, which is not without fault, but I love the notes. I frequently check readings against the DRV as well.

Oh, and I always have a bible with me. I carry one hard copy in the car and I have the Laudate app on my iPhone. (It’s free!) It has an NAB version (not my favorite) and DRV and the Catechism and loads of other stuff. Also, I have a couple Bibles downloaded on my iPad. But, much as I like the convenience of technology, I still like the old fashioned hard copy.

I have a bunch of translations:
-NAB
-Good News (I am not partial to this translation)
-Catholic Youth Bible
-Gideon Bible (this is one of my favorite translations right now)

On my Christmas wish list is a Douay-Rheims translation though. I've heard good things about that one.

As for Bible reading, I tried reading the whole Bible a couple years back. I got as far as 1st Chronicles and I quit. I have (in my spare time) read the book of Tobit, Song of Songs, and a bit of Wisdom.
Right now I am using a Gideon Bible program that gets you to read the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs in 2 years. I will be finished that December 31st! :D

I have the following translations (I have the Logos - Verbum Basic Catholic):

1) RSV-CE
2) RSV-2CE
3) NABRE (2011)
4) DR
5) Confraternity
6) Jerusalem Bible
7) New Jerusalem Bible
8) NASB
9) KJV
10) NKJV
11) ESV
12) HCSB
13) NLT
14) NIV (1984, 2011)
15) NRSV (Catholic and Non-Catholic)
16) Lexham Bible
17) La Nueva Biblia de Jerusalem
18) La Biblia Latinoamericana
19) Reina Valera
20) Dios Habla Hoy

I have read the Bible completely about 2 times (That I have tracked). I do read the Bible every day - it is very rare that I miss a day, in fact I don't remember the last time I did.

I've found my preferred translation to be the RSV-2CE with the NKJV very close. I do enjoy reading the NABRE for my personal devotion.

Sometimes I like to carry my bible to Church. I always carry my Nook - I have the iMissal app and several other Catholic apps.

This was fun! Thanks, Michael!

YBiC,

ETA: I forgot to vote for "I need to read the Bible more" - It's one of those things, the more I read it - the more I need it :).

I have so many Bible translations I probably need to get rid of some of them. For example, I have most of the major Protestant English translations (ESV, KJV, NKJV, HCSB, NASB, NIV, RSV, NRSV, CEV, CEB, TEV/GNB,etc.) and Catholic English translation (RSV: CE, Douay-Rheims Challoner Revision, NAB, NAB: RE, New Catholic Version of the Psalms, 1966 Jerusalem Bible, the Living Bible: Catholic edition, etc.). I also have a few Greek New Testaments, one Biblia Hebraica, and one Greek Septuagint.

I try to do some Bible reading at least 5-6 days a week, about 30 minutes or more a day. Generally I read two chapters a day in the OT, one chapter a day in the NT, and one Psalm reading. I have not really learned how to “pray” the scriptures (Lectio Divina?), though I do meditate on certain passages that mean much to me (“They pierce my hands and my feet; they number all my bones”). I have not done a good job yet regarding “putting what I read into practice” so to speak; I have fallen short. Until I get my own car, it will be difficult for me to find any time to volunteer anywhere.

Currently, I am using the 1966 Jerusalem Bible for my OT reading, the CEB for my NT reading, the Greek New Testament for my NT Greek practices, and the New Catholic Version of the Psalms for my Psalm reading.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I have read through the NT once and am going through a second time now. I am going through the OT for the first time, and yes, I have read ALL of the Pentateuch (currently on Ruth).

I have read the Bible completely 2 times.

I read the Bible more than 4 times a week. (including as part of Bible study)

I have my own personal Bible - Ignatius Press Revised Standard Edition 2nd Catholic Edition

I don't carry my Bible to Mass because I bring a Daily Roman Missal.

I know there are indulgences for reading the Bible.

I've read nearly all of it, I'd have to look to see exactly what I've not passed through yet. It's sort of required in the seminary, you know. :P My preferred translation is the RSV-CE; I find that it's the closest to the Hebrew and Greek, although if I really want to know what they say, I just read them straight out. I have about 25 Bibles in about 14 different languages last time I checked; I kind of collect them. I can read or at least muddle through most of the ones I have (English, of course, and the Romance languages), and have others as curiosities or in hope that someday I could learn to read them (Syriac, for example). I find that when you learn a new language, it's helpful to read texts that are familiar to you, and there are parts of the Bible that are certainly that for me.

And I don't see the big deal about Leviticus and Deuteronomy. I found both to be extremely interesting, even all the prescriptive stuff--it can be pretty fascinating at times!

-ACEGC

I've read all of it more than once, but many of the books numerous times, especially since I am working on a revision of the Douay-Rheims and I proofread multiple times.

I read the Bible daily, which could be: Liturgy of the Hours, daily Mass readings while giving Mom her eye drops, or just sitting down and cracking open the Good Book.

Working through the Quick Journey 90 Day Reading Plan that can be found at biblestudyforcatholics.com/download/category/15. Then hope to read the entire Bible.

Right now, the go-to translation for me is the GNT-CE. :thumbsup:

I relocated not long ago from a seven room house to a small trailer house. Before the move I had a lot of space, but now not so much.

The bibles I took with me are the Orthodox Study Bible (NKV with the deutero-canonicals) and the Jerusalem Bible.

I had a bad stroke and now a bible I can understand is vital. So no DR or KJV. I am also getting a New Revised Standard Catholic Edition.

In my life I can say that I've read the Bible straight through at least twice that I can remember, but I read sections of it all the time, lately while at my adoration hours. I love praying the Psalms out loud! The Douay-Rheims is the only version I trust, but I really don't know all that much about the different versions, except to say that as a Catholic I will not read Protestant versions. The pastor at our parish changes the wording to everything in the Mass (prayers and readings) to whatever he himself wishes, so I don't know if he is switching between versions or what he is doing, but I no longer attend the parish I am supposed to be. I rely on the Douay-Rheims basically because it the version most closely translated from the original Hebrew and Greek by St Jerome (as far as I've read anyway), and because I have a distrust of Bible versions that have been translated by 'committees'. It's my personal belief that when committees do the translating there is too much political and personal influence by the members, and that those committees are too vulnerable to Satanic influence as well, whether knowingly or unknowingly, so I avoid those. While I admit that I wish the Douay-Rheims was easier to read, it really isn't that difficult, and the language of it is more poetic than the modern translations. There is a beauty to it that the modern versions don't have.

I am currently trying to study the Jewish study bible, tanakh translation oxford university press alongside the Ignatious and the New Jerusalem, I also have a King James. The Ignatius I have read three times need much,much more then that.

God Bless
onenow1:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.