How often is Christ's blood offered at your parish?

why do make the conservative distinction? My parish is as well, and it is offered at almost every Mass at my parish

I typically will stand in front of the minister with the precious blood, finish chewing/swallowing the body, and then take the cup. There’s no time limit or rush.

Also, to answer the OP’s question, my parish offers the precious blood at every mass, unless there’s an outbreak of flu or something similar.

It seems to be more common at “conservative” parish not to have the chalice offered. More concern about spilling, fewer EMHCs needed.

I thought Jesus said take eat and take drink. Where was it decided the blood wasn’t needed?
I’m not catholic I’m just learning about your faith. I’m actually very surprised to learn it’s not served every mass.

Thanks for that Brendan. I’m going to have to look this up again because I distinctly remember a long thread within the last few months (but may have been on old board) about its being banned. It may be that I confused a US ban with a ban at the diocesan level as I think a few posters said that their US archbishops did not allow it at all and I remember us discussing what the parishes did with all the old intinction sets with attached cups.

Edited to add, okay, found the old thread and I stand corrected.
USCCB norms permit intinction if done as in the norms (no self-intinction and the priest, deacon or EMHC dips it into a separate cup).
The intinction SETS with the attached cup are apparently forbidden.
Also, some dioceses have forbidden intinction. Pianistclare said her archdiocese was one of them.

Will edit my post above to remove misinformation.

It’s simply a practicality… if a host is dropped, the host is simply picked up by the person who is distributing and discarded respectfully after Mass. Wine, on the other hand, if dropped, requires a stoppage in communion, special cloths (called purificators) to mop up, and since wine is a liquid, it is virtually impossible to ensure that every possible liquid particle of Christ is treated with respect.

edit Also, since it’s all Jesus, it’s all really the same- some people wh have gluten allergies take only the wine instead of the host.

Besides what Maximllian indicated about protection of the species there is the protection of the people. Where I live something like 85% of people are over 65 and a good number of them are over the age of 80. They are almost exclusively medically fragile.

Offering the cup poses danger to those who are immunodeficient—which can easily be mitigated by only offering the body.

Our churches also have “hospital” level protocol–no Holy Water during flu season (one can go to the sacristy and grab a personal size bottle), no contact during the sign of peace and hand sanatizer available.

I had never even thought about holy water… :no_mouth::no_mouth:

Where does it say that Intinction SETS are forbidden either?

Pianistclare lives in Canada, with a different set of norms. When the new norms were being discussed by the US bishops, they attempted to allow for individual bishops to forbid or allow intinction. Rome removed that verbage,

Here is some news from that time

I can’t recall the number, unfortunately. It’s something about how both species need to be present, even if only a negligible amount of each, for a Mass to be licit, I think the word is.

Transubstantiation of whatever species is present will still occur, but it won’t constitite a “Mass”.

I learned about it in a thread concerning a Mass done for members of the military. Maybe I’m misremembering it, or just didn’t state it correctly.

Is that so? That sounds odd.

In my experience the Chalice is rarely offered in my archdiocese (Vancouver, BC).

why so? (From earlier in the thread)

However, with movements after Vatican 2, the common cup for consumption by the faithful became optional

I see. It still seems very odd knowing there was a time a layman could only receive one species.

Pianist Clare lives in the Southwest US. I’ll just repost the old thread.

The intinction sets are not used because of what you posted “a minister standing at (the priest’s) side and holding the chalice”. The priest does not appear to be allowed to use a chalice attached to the vessel of hosts.

Edited to add, here is the thread from a few months back with discussion from DeaconJeff, Clare and others.

Not globally to my knowledge. In some regions, yes… in other regions no. It’s like the permanent diaconate. It’s still hasn’t been restored in many dioceses around the world. Trends in the US don’t always reflect the global Church.

true. i’ll edit my post accordingly

Both Sunday Masses (Sat. & Sun.) and any special occasion. Not at daily Mass.

Every single Sunday, as the Church teaching is both the body and blood are completely available under each specie.

I’m Byzantine, so we receive under both forms via spoon each and every Liturgy. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit