How often is Christ's blood offered at your parish?

At the Latin mass I go to the blood is not offered except to a family who cannot receive the host due to an extreme gluten intolerance.

If you are wondering why some parishes don’t offer the blood, it is because there isn’t a good way to offer the blood without everyone having to touch the chalice. Since the chalice is a sacred vessel it should only be touched by the priest. The priest’s hands were blessed at his ordination which is why he can touch the vessels.

In medieval times they would use very ornate, metal straws. The priest would dip the straw in the blood, put his finger on the top to keep the blood in the straw, and then release it into your mouth. This way no one but the priest had to tough the sacred vessel.
Pretty cool stuff!

Correct. Therefore, “Christ’s blood [is] offered at your parish” every time the Eucharistic host is distributed. :wink:

Communion under both species is the norm around here (Brooklyn, NY), at least at Sunday masses.

Unfortunately, I hardly ever get to go to Mass during the week, unless it’s a holy day of obligation, so I’m not sure about weekday Masses.

We have the Precious Blood at weekend and Holy Day Masses.

I remember the old school traditional Latin mass, and I had never seen it on Corpus Christi on Holy Thursday…

The protocol that the priests of the parish had for communion was pretty regimented and went off pretty much flawlessly, introduction of communion under both kinds would really been noticeable and rememberable on those days.

And I made sure to say that I wasn’t sure. I’ll rescind my post

I think we have a relatively conservative parish, at least from what I’ve experienced among Canadian parishes, and we offer the chalice every weekend. It only requires two extra EMHCs.

I notice the norms do allow the Precious Blood to be given “by tube” but I’ve never actually seen it done anywhere.

Both are offered at my church…I do take both the body and blood…it just seems right to me that Christ offered both to his disciples…I’m not disputing that just the host is sufficient…I also hold both in my mouth until I return to my seat and give thanks to our Blessed Lord for this most precious gift…before chewing and swallowing

Back in the early 80’s, at our neighborhood parish— never. It was the priest’s personal decision, I think.

Ever since then, at every other church I’ve attended-- always-- except on occasion during flu season. If things are particularly bad, sometimes the diocese will put a ban on receiving under both species, under the last two bishops, but I didn’t notice it previous to that. They also have had a year-round ban against communion by intinction in our diocese (Fort Worth) as well, under at least the last three bishops, but I’ve been to churches in other diocese (ie, Houston/Galveston) that don’t have any issues with communion by intinction, which seems to get periodically defaulted to during flu season as well, although I don’t know if it’s on a parish-by-parish basis or is a diocesan-wide mandate.

Why does it seem odd? On what is that assertion based?

Every single mass

Only because I wasn’t around to experience it. At every Mass I can remember, both species were available for the laity.

Is there something I’m not getting? Did I misunderstand somewhere along the line? Because it seems people are upset with me.

Pretty much the same here. At daily mass perhaps 1/2 of the people receive the precious blood; maybe 30 total including the Priest, Deacon and acolytes. It seems to be a lower percentage at Sunday masses.

Good point. Communion via the host and chalice separately is the Apostolic way. There was no intinction or co-mingling at the Last Supper.

I didn’t know that this was a thing until recently, I only thought its a priest-only thing until I came to this forum. So yeah, we don’t even mention things like that.

The Russian Orthodox confect the Precious Blood in a huge chalice and then ladle it into individual smaller chalices.

The blood is offered at every Mass in my parish, daily and weekend. It is offered in every parish I’ve been to in my Diocese, even at the Cathedral.

In Rome & Paris it was not offered at any Mass I went to.

Every single mass.

Well, you came into this thread and declared more than once that the practice of the Catholic Church for a thousand years is “odd.” That’s not exactly going to endear you to Catholics here.

When pressed, your only real reason seems to be because you weren’t around to experience it. So what I see here is someone who judges things by his or her own environs and declares things “odd” simply because they are outside his/her experience. No attempt to research it, and realize that the contrary is actually the modern innovation, at least after so many centuries. No, just declarations of “odd.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.