How often is it necessary to use scripted prayer?

So, I am a Catholic convert. I have been Catholic since June of this year.
Back before I was catholic, my nightly prayers usually consisting of about 5-10 minutes of just kneeling down, and asking God to help someone or occasionally just giving thanks.
When I became Catholic, I began to pray more, but still very little with scripted prayers.

Recently, about 2 weeks ago, I discovered in my missal a section of “Morning Prayers” and “Evening Prayers”. I’ve been saying the evening prayer (about 5-6 small paragraphs or so) more or less every night or every other night since then. Although I found that they were lovely prayers, and they helped me to really feel the Lord, they have since lost their allure. After a couple weeks of reading over the same words again and again, it gets harder and harder.

How often should one say scripted prayers? I feel like it’s one thing to say the traditional prayers like “Our Father” and “Hail Mary” on a daily basis, but a different sort of jazz to read through the same five paragraphs every evening. They were beautiful and inspiring at first, but now each night the words are more and more forced.

What would be best for me to do? Should I try to find an assortment of prayers, and maybe read a different scripted prayer every few nights? I usually pray in my own words for a bit before reading any scripted prayers. I don’t quite feel like just praying in my own words with a few small tradition prayers is totally sufficient, especially since I have pretty bad ADHD and it’s way too easy for my mind to wander off track when I’m not reading anything - sometimes I can spend an hour and yet have about 20 minutes in serious prayer. Scripted prayers keep me grounded, but I just can’t read the same one every night.

You’ll like praying the Liturgy of the Hours in this case different scripted prayers every morning and night which is what I recommend along with daily recitation of a few rosaries this should help calm your adhd too and you can still and it is recommend you still you pray petition or talk to God as you did as a Protestant and still do I think Good luck!

Have you tried the Liturgy of the Hours? You can follow it here: divineoffice.org/
There are a lot more prayers there than just the morning and night prayers. And there’s writings of the Early Church Fathers in there also. It should keep you busy for a long time. You can get an abbreviated version of the Liturgy of the Hours from an online seller like Amazon for about $30. It’s called “Christian Prayer”. Also try mixing up different chaplets like St. Michael’s, Divine Mercy, etc. And there’s the Stations of the Cross: usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/devotionals/stations-of-the-cross/scriptural-stations-of-the-cross.cfm

When it comes to prayer I used scripted and personal, I am also often ‘moved’, when saying scripted prayer privately, to make add-ons and insertions, such as using 'Please … ’ and 'I humbly pray that in Your Divine Mercy and Love … ’ etc.

If you mean “required” by “necessary”, then it is only required to use scripted prayer when at Mass. There are many written prayers that are endorsed, for lack of a better word, by the Church. It is good to know these prayers so that you can join in communal prayer opportunities. For example, knowing the prayers of the Rosary that is usually said at the vigil for a Funeral.

Other than that, use as much or as little scripted prayer as you like. There is a value to a disciplined prayer life and scripted prayers may help with that.

Not just the Mass, but other liturgies

I was talking about “required”. The Mass is the only liturgy that is required for laypersons.

St. Therese of Lisieux

“Time spent faithfully every day in mental prayer that is poor, arid, distracted, and relatively short is worth more, and will be infinitely more fruitful for our progress, than long, ardent spells of mental pray from time to time, when circumstances make it easy. It is faithfulness alone that enables the life of prayer to bear wonderful fruit. We pray not to find self-fulfillment or self-satisfaction, but to please God because he asks us to. Patiently endure the times of aridity that God will certainly send to purify our love for him.”

So the conclusion … substitute but don’t drop. And if there is no substitute, don’t drop until one is found.

Psalm 136…“His steadfast love endures forever” is repeated…26 TIMES!
It can be just that simple when it is a loving prayer.

“Lord have mercy on us” is repeated over and over by so many. Simple but loving.

“Not my will, but Thine be done” is the loving acknowledgement of Jesus to his Father. A simple prayer that is worth repeating. Pleasing words to our Father.

“For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us.” Offering Jesus’ sufferings to our heavenly Father is a powerful prayer to say over and over. You share in the prieshood of the laity by your baptism, and offering Jesus to his Father will always be acceptable and meaningful to our Father.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.