How often is Paul mentioned in Acts?

I'm reading an apologist's defense for Peter's authority in the Acts of the Apostles, and says Peter’s name appears at least 54 times in Acts.

But what about Paul? How many times was he mentioned?

I think this might be undermining the papacy.

Paul is mentioned 131 times in the book of Acts according to my Catholic Bible Concordance (RSV).

[quote="JDGaney, post:1, topic:319977"]
I think this might be undermining the papacy.

[/quote]

I don't see how the number count of each Apostle's name in the Acts of the Apostles-- in and of itself-- is saying anything for or against the importance of the role of Peter and his successors.

It's better to think of Acts as kind of a two part story of the early Church: it's commission and empowering by Jesus to become established as a body of believers first in Jerusalem with St. Peter as the earthly head of the Church, then the missionary impetus going out into the rest of the world where the prominent figure is St. Paul. There is no question of St. Paul superseding the leadership of St. Peter.

If Peter had more of a literary bent we might get a different picture of those times, but he was just a fisherman to start off. Paul was a priest-in-training. A big difference.

And Paul was a trouble-maker to boot.

Only three years after arriving in Rome Nero initiated his persecutions, where both Paul and Peter died.

You have to wonder.

Peter and the Apostles received their authority directly from Jesus. Paul did not.

[quote="kkollwitz, post:5, topic:319977"]
Peter and the Apostles received their authority directly from Jesus. Paul did not.

[/quote]

Paul did not? He even says he received his authority from the Lord. It's in the epistle to the Galatians. "Paul, an apostle (not sent from men nor through the agency of man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead)," "For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ." Galatians 1:1, 1:12....

oh, wait, I just saw in the same epistle a passage that indicated Peter's leadership.

"But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood,nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went away to Arabia, and returned once more to Damascus.Then three years later I went up to Jerusalem to become acquainted with Cephas, and stayed with him fifteen days. But I did not see any other of the apostles except ames, the Lord’s brother." 1:15-19

but where do we get the indication that the authority of Peter was passed on to his successors, specifically Rome?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.