How old is the Bible?

My five-year-old asked me this yesterday and I had no idea what to tell him. I imagine the different books of the Old Testament were written down at different times; but when do scholars believe that all the books have been written down and compiled together?

I don’t know about every individual book, but I trace the completion of the
Bible (as a whole) 1,600 years ago round about, at the Council of Rome,
by the decree of Pope Damasus I, 382 CE.
Also:
The completion of the Septuagint (Greek Old Testament) was completed
in the 2nd century BCE,

Hope that helps.

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy = Moses - 1400 B.C.
Joshua = Joshua - 1350 B.C.
Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel = Samuel/Nathan/Gad - 1000 - 900 B.C.
1 Kings, 2 Kings = Jeremiah - 600 B.C.
1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah = Ezra - 450 B.C.
Tobit = unknown - 300-200 B.C.
Judith = unknown - 150 B.C.
Esther = Mordecai - 400 B.C.
1 & 2 Maccabees = 150-100 B.C. - unknown Maccabee
Job = Moses - 1400 B.C.
Psalms = several different authors, mostly David - 1000 - 400 B.C.
Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon = Solomon - 900 B.C.
Wisdom = unnamed Alexandrian Jew, based on texts passed down from Solomon - 200-100 B.C.
Wisdom of ben Sira (Ecclesiasticus) = Simon ben Yeshua ben Eliezer ben Sira - 200-175 B.C.
Isaiah = Isaiah - 700 B.C.
Jeremiah, Lamentations = Jeremiah - 600 B.C.
Baruch = Baruch - 575 B.C.
Ezekiel = Ezekiel - 550 B.C.
Daniel = Daniel - 550 B.C.
Hosea = Hosea - 750 B.C.
Joel = Joel - 850 B.C.
Amos = Amos - 750 B.C.
Obadiah = Obadiah - 600 B.C.
Jonah = Jonah - 700 B.C.
Micah = Micah - 700 B.C.
Nahum = Nahum - 650 B.C.
Habakkuk = Habakkuk - 600 B.C.
Zephaniah = Zephaniah - 650 B.C.
Haggai = Haggai - 520 B.C.
Zechariah = Zechariah - 500 B.C.
Malachi = Malachi - 430 B.C.
Matthew = Matthew - A.D. 55
Mark = John Mark - A.D. 50
Luke = Luke - A.D. 60
John = John - A.D. 90
Acts = Luke - A.D. 65
Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon = Paul - A.D. 50-70
Hebrews = unknown, mostly likely Paul, Luke, Barnabas, or Apollos - A.D. 65
James = James - A.D. 45
1 Peter, 2 Peter = Peter - A.D. 60
1 John, 2 John, 3 John = John - A.D. 90
Jude = Jude - A.D. 60
Revelation = John - A.D. 90

There is considerable debate regarding the age of the Old Testament, especially the Torah. Most agree there was an oral tradition and different editions before the finalized version of the Torah. Either way, the exact age doesn’t matter because it is all inspired by God. :slight_smile:

Since Jews have an oral tradition, there was supposed to be an oral Torah and a written Torah, with considerable differences between the two. Also, according to Rabbinical teachings, revelations did not stop with the first written version of the Torah. Even though the first edition of the Torah was, by tradition, written by Moses, individuals having visions were able to insert new ideas into the Torah. And, indeed, there is ample evidence that scribes, in their copying efforts, embellished the original Torah to suit their ideas of how it should appear.

I think you hit most of the NT books dead on, although I feel as if John was written in 90 then Revelation must have come some time after. Presumably not long before John’s death.

Also, I doubt James wrote James in 45; it was likely a different James.

=tomarin;11507637]My five-year-old asked me this yesterday and I had no idea what to tell him. I imagine the different books of the Old Testament were written down at different times; but when do scholars believe that all the books have been written down and compiled together?

The consensus seems to be that the Bible was intirerly authored by the end of the First Century or EARLY Second century.

The Bible being CODIFIED was several hundred years later.

Agape Bible Study
www.agapebiblestudy.com/‎

It is generally admitted today, that the James who wrote this Epistle, was not one of the two of that name who were Apostles but James “the brother (cousin) of the Lord” (Mt. 13: 55). He was prominent as leader of the Judaeo-Christian church in Jerusalem, from the beginning (see Acts 12: 17; 15: 13; 21:18; 1 Cor. 15: 7; Gal. I: 19; 2: 9-12), and remained head of that church until his martyrdom in 62 A.D.

According to the Navarre Bible Commentary, there are two schools of thought as to the letter’s composition, with an early composition date of AD 50 and a late date of about AD 60. My personal preference is the latter date.

As someone else said, the James who wrote it was probably the “brother of the Lord”. It was one of, if not the, earliest written NT book, which scholars have dated from 45 to 55.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.