How old is the Catholic Church?

How old is the Catholic Church? And, by Catholic, I’m referring to the “Catholic”, upper case “C”, as in “Catholic Church” and not lower case "c’, as in “universal” Church.

Quote:
The combination “the Catholic Church (he katholike ekklesia) is found for the first time in the letter of St. Ignatius to the Smyrnaeans, written about the year 110. (Found-HERE)
Obviously, if Saint Ignatius wrote about the “Catholic Church”, then he wrote about a Catholic Church, which already existed.

Quote:
If we include St. Peter, Ignatius was the third Bishop of Antioch and the immediate successor of Evodius (Eusebius, II.3.22Church History). (Found-Here)
Here (below) are early paintings depicting Jesus giving the first Catholic Pope, Saint Peter, the “keys to the Kingdom of Heaven”.

[FONT=Arial] Matthew 16:17-19 17 Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. 18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

[/FONT]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YC87epvokPc/SPMNMGki4jI/AAAAAAAAHvs/m5ZvEqAzVGs/s400/Jesus-Returning-the-Keys-to-St--Peter-1820-Jean-Auguste-Ingres-303078.jpg

(Edited)

The Catholic Church with an Upper Case “C” is roughly 1976 1/2 years old.

Why is this in the Non-Cath forum?

Thats kind of a loaded question. All of the Church (East, West, Protestant) have common roots, and all of them have doctrines that have developed over the years. The argument is over which doctrines were properly developed, especially that of epistemology and authority.

[size=2]List of Catholic Popes[/size]

Saint Peter, The First Catholic Pope

http://www.kofcmuseum.org/en/images/papal/thumbs/BenedictXVI_%20Cappucciothumb.jpg

Benedict XVI, The Current Catholic Pope.

I agree. The Church is 2000 years old (approximately). The question is which Church is the continuation of that Church.

Protestantism, means “to protest”…protest the Catholic Church.

How could any non-Catholic, Protestant denomination that rejects the Early Church (Catholic) and the teachings of the Early Church, claim to have any authority?

And, what about the Seven Sacraments, the Creed, The Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist (transubstantiation) and Apostolic Secession and so on?….All those things , which still exit today in the Roman Catholic Church, the only Church today with a Pope.

Moreover, the Bible is a Catholic book, so any exegesis, which apposes Catholicism, made using a Catholic Book would seem irrelevant, would they not?

Finally, there can only, truly be one Christian Church and that Church is the Catholic Church.

“One lord, One Faith, One Baptism…”

Your Thoughts?

Ephesians 4:4-6
"…one body and one Spirit, as you were also called to the one hope of your call; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all."

Are you kidding me?

You are going to have to do some heavy gymnastics to prove the seven sacraments from the ECFs.

Who says that we reject the teaching of the early Church? That is your interpretation of the facts.

Exactly.

We know that very early in church history, the early church adopted the name Catholic.

I believe (although I have not yet proven to myself this is true) that there is a logical connection through the succession of church leadership (I will not use the term “pope” because that came later) between this early Catholic church and the church that calls itself Catholic today.

However, that is not the question of primary interest to me today.

The biggest #1 question in my mind is that when God looks at “the church” what does God see? Does God see one and only one branch of Christianity with all of the remaining branches excluded from what God sees? Or is God’s vision wider than the boundaries of one segment of Christianity? I believe with all my heart, the answer to this question is the latter, which is the reason why I am not Catholic.

As far as the earliest church goes, the #1 question in my mind is not whether there is a connection between the earliest church that called itself Catholic and the church today that calls itself Catholic. I think obviously there is.

But the #1 question in my mind is whether the only connections between the earliest Catholic church and any segment of Christianity today is to the the segment of Christianity today that calls itself Catholic. Or are there connections between this earliest church and all segments of Christianity today.

I believe with all my heart there are connections to be made with the earliest church that called itself Catholic and all segments of Christianity today. Therefore this earliest church was not exclusively Catholic to the exclusion of everybody else.

This is plain logical btw.

The earliest Methodist church is not the exclusive domain of say just the United Methodists. It is a part of the United Methodists, Free Methodists, Wesleyans, Nazarenes, and whatever else has come out of the earliest Methodists.

Instead of trying to undertake proving seven sacraments from the ECFs, which is easily accomplished, why not just start with one your Church does not hold to. Even if I could prove all seven, only one would show that the protestant denominations are not in line with the ECFs. Seven would just prove further that which we already know to be true.

The one sacrament I would like to see your Church claim to agree with is the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. The ECFs clearly agreed with the Catholic teaching and as the Catholic and Orthodox Churches are the only two denominations that believe as the ECFs believe (Lutherans and Anglicans are close but not quite there), your protestant denomination is clearly not in line with early Church teaching. I am sure you can find a heretic or two that can support your belief concerning the Eucharist, but I am also sure you would not like to take any other points from said heretic.

If you want to know what the ECFs say about it, read this.

Sorry to get off topic, but it does help establish which Church would be in contention of claiming existence in the 2nd century.

God Bless.

Hello** raderag**,

There exist today, approximately 36,000 different non-Catholic, “Protestant” denominations and sub-divisions, or sub-sects.

All of these denominations and sub-sects are different, because they all hold to their own unique beliefs, doctrine, dogma and rule-sets, which set them apart and distinguishes them from the prior sect or denomination from which they broke.

[FONT=Arial]These breaks amoung non-Catholic Christians occurred because of different and apposing “Christian” beliefs that were rejected and new beliefs, which were adopted.
[/FONT]
Generally speaking, there exists today, more disagreement, confusion and division amoung Protestant denominations then between Catholic and Protestant.

Protestant/Protestant
1-36,000

Catholic/Protestant
1-1

[FONT=Arial]The one thing that all non-Catholic, Protestant Christian denominations have in common, is that, in one way or another, they reject the Early Christian Church - the Catholic Church.[/FONT]

How do you explain these different beliefs within non-Catholic Christianity and why so many?

What gives your particular denomination the authority to claim to be the one true Christion religion, over all of your Protestant bretheran?

And, this is the impossible to solve problem, found in non-Catholic Christianity that occurs, because of the errant Protestant belief, which allows for the “Personal Interpretation of the Bible”, a Catholic book.

Thank you for your post.

cool pictures

Which one of the 7 sacraments would you say was not at the beginning of the church?

Hello TheosisM, The Scripture to read is John20, 19-21and following. So I believe the Church began at that time in the upper room.
The answer to that question is the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.:):thumbsup: Carlan

How about Jesus Himself? (KJV quoted)

Joh 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Please explain how you do that in a way that is consistent with the way the early church did it and is NOT the Catholic way.

penance.

Yep and those “Common roots” was the Catholic Church with a big “C”

I find it interesting that you list (East, West & Protestant) as if Protestants are something other than part of the West.

It’s the easiest thing in the world to prove that the Early Church Fathers had all 7 Sacraments!!!

All you have to do is read them and you’ll see. Why not start with the Early Church Fathers of the 1st Century - the same Century that Jesus ascended into Heaven, then work on the 2nd Century Fathers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.