How old is too old?

I'm thinking God may be calling me to the priesthood. But I'm already 52. Is it too late to consider this? Any priests out there who could give me some advice?

Sam Snead said,“Age is only a number”. Are you healthy? Physically fit? Do you enjoy a challenge? Do you have confidence in yourself? The years do take their toll. If you don’t have confidence in yourself, don’t do it.That’s only smart. We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us;however. That’s going to take a strong faith though.But, we all have to develop that. I think that would be the bottom line. The determing factor.:o

The best thing to do is and I'm sure you know this already is to:

• Pray

• I'll Pray for you as well. Asking for the intercession of St. John Marie Vianney, Carmelite Saints, Servant of God Francis J. Parater, Fr. Augustine Tolton, and Fr. Thomas Byles. Amen

• If you can discuss this with your parish Priest or any Priest in your area.

Here are a few websites that may be helpful:

priest4christ.com/

Archdiocese of Denver, CO

archden.org/

vocations.com/vocfaq.html

Here is another Forum that was started with a familiar question?

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=5558973

God bless you on your journey,
goforgoal

I know this is about Orthodox priest, but read this...

goodguyswearblack.org/2011/07/06/why-youre-not-too-old-to-become-a-priest/

Also, here's someone I know:
fatheredward.com/bio.html

Born 1938, ordained 2005 (67 at time of ordination)

A 59 year old was just ordained in my diocese. :)

How old is too old?

That is up to the religious institute or diocese to determine for themselves.

I would suggest that you contact the vocations director for your diocese and/or any religious communities that you are interested in.

The sooner the better.

I'm 55 and will be starting my formation at the seminary this fall. So, it is certainly possible.

Chris

seminarianonthejourney.blogspot.com/

There is a totally Orthodox seminary called Holy Apostles Seminary in CT and they accept older vocations.

God bless you.

[quote="nightranger, post:1, topic:247879"]
I'm thinking God may be calling me to the priesthood. But I'm already 52. Is it too late to consider this? Any priests out there who could give me some advice?

[/quote]

NO YOU ARE NOT TOO OLD!!! you're only too old if YOU think so. What I suggest you to do is call Sacred Heart School of Theology. Since I can't mention names, (I think) to be safe you need to just call and ask for the priest that is in charge of enrollment. There is a seminarian that is 68!!!!! Age sucks I agree especially when you are waiting for the meeting and there other three canidates are like 20 it bothers me a little. But God can let me live to be 100 if it is his will. Anyway what you need to do is talk to this priest (I will PM you his name) anyway talk to him and he will ask whether you are called to diocesan priesthood or religious life. If you feel called to diocesan priesthood then he will ask where you live and give you names of diocese that are close to you that send their seminarians to Sacred Heart. You will find a book called the Collar that book didn't do that seminary justice. It is a wonderful place to be. And I hope HOPE I get to go back to study. They have a program for idiots like myself that didn't go to college and they have you go to Cardenal Stritch for 1 1/2 to 2 years and then finish you out in theology for 4 years. Or if you did acquire a 4 year degree you'd be there for only 5 years which puts you at ordination age of 57. Not old at all not in these days. Also what is nice and great about a delayed or seconrd career vocation is that you have lived life you are not going to all of a sudden turn to woman dice or drugs. You have sewed your wild oats unlike a 21 year old that hasn't been around long enough to sew his wild oats. Anywho PM me if you want and I can discuss things that I have gone through and what I have experienced, I had my meeting yesterday and waiting on the decision,or the next step. God Bless and go for it Scoob.

[quote="chrisleighlowe, post:7, topic:247879"]
I'm 55 and will be starting my formation at the seminary this fall. So, it is certainly possible.

Chris

seminarianonthejourney.blogspot.com/

[/quote]

Are you going to Sacred Heart? Or what seminary?? wonderful to see delayed vocations!! It is the way things are headed I think, I think it will be the typical young guys but also at the same time there will be more delayed vocations. Two wonderful sources of priests.

Sorry I found the answer on your blog. I didn't know there was a second career seminary in the Boston area. Cool. I enjoyed your blog. God Bless Scoob.

Thank you all for your kind, informative and uplifting replies. Please keep them coming.

I've always thought that my vocation would be marriage and family. But obviously, due to my age, ( and perhaps God's will) that will not be the case.

But discernment is difficult for me. i suspect it's a combination of fear, being 52 years a bachelor, and not always living a virtuous life.

I've read all the recent stuff about Fr. Corapi and it gives me pause. I don't want to fail.

On the other hand, I feel that I must serve God in His way and not mine, and not worry about these other things.

[quote="nightranger, post:12, topic:247879"]
Thank you all for your kind, informative and uplifting replies. Please keep them coming.

I've always thought that my vocation would be marriage and family. But obviously, due to my age, ( and perhaps God's will) that will not be the case.

But discernment is difficult for me. i suspect it's a combination of fear, being 52 years a bachelor, and not always living a virtuous life.

I've read all the recent stuff about Fr. Corapi and it gives me pause. I don't want to fail.

On the other hand, I feel that I must serve God in His way and not mine, and not worry about these other things.

[/quote]

That is the devil placing fear in you. John Corapi is just one example, need not to look at him ONLY. There are many other holy priests that were called later in life. You also have to understand that we all are wretched beasts without Christ. I am nothing without God. Don't worry about the past look at Peter he denied Christ three times yet Christ gave him the keys to Heaven and made him the first pope of our Church. Fear not go for it and look as I said on the website of Sacred Heart and look for a diocese closest to you if your diocese has a bishop that wants them young young young (NOTHING wrong with young but that goes for older as well) as my diocese here in Springfield Mo. As I said PM me and we can talk about it as I have some experience in this subject as I am going through it now. God Bless Scoob

[quote="scoobydoo6v92, post:10, topic:247879"]
Are you going to Sacred Heart? Or what seminary?? wonderful to see delayed vocations!! It is the way things are headed I think, I think it will be the typical young guys but also at the same time there will be more delayed vocations. Two wonderful sources of priests.

[/quote]

I know that you looked on my blog and got your answer, but for those who are still curious...

Blessed John XXIII National Seminary is located just outside of Boston and is dedicated to delayed vocations. It takes men from all over the nation, not just Boston. This is their web site: blessedjohnxxiii.edu/

When I interviewed there last year, there were 65 men in attendance. 20 men entered last year and about that number are anticipated this year, but I guess we won't know for sure until we start.

Here are some additional websites that might be helpful:

churchvocations.com/

brooklynpriests.org/isgodcallingme.html

behindthecollar.com/tabid/195/Default.aspx

vocationboom.com/

vocations.com/mensrel.html

catholicity.com/links/127/

encouragepriests.org/site/home-page/

Who knows this blog might be helpful:

romancatholicvocations.blogspot.com/

Two years ago I started a thread titled "Diocesan Priest--Vocation" if you're wondering I received the following information from "The Sisters of the Presentation of Mary"

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=316477

I know I'm offering you a list of websites, blogs, and whatnot but don't rely soley on them.

Pray

Ask the Saints for help <-- ie/St. John Marie Vianney and St. Padre Pio. Also, ask God's holy men and women for help.

Fr. Augustine Tolton wasn't ordained until later on in life.

Discuss your concerns with your (a) Parish Priest.

And don't forget to Pray, Pray, Pray.

God bless,
goforgoal

[quote="nightranger, post:12, topic:247879"]

[/quote]

The wonderful thing about the discernment process is that it is a process. With the many steps involved there are naturally built in many ways to help you discern. (and yes) ... There are many older vocations these days.( Many things are dependent on this as in how much have you discerned? What order or diocese might you apply to? Are you without debts? etc? Why not investigate it???

You might begin with your parish priest, and do contact the vocations director for your diocese. Begin your search and of course pray pray pray. In our Franciscan province we have a few older vocations, and in my home diocese we have had a few. Others here will add their two cents so to speak... hopefully in our posts some information will be of help to you.

Also don't be afraid of others who have failed so to speak.. Your path is uniquely yours...If the priesthood (or brotherhood) isn't for you I am sure along the way someone will help you to decide yea or nay.

Blessings and Good Luck ... Sister Debbie O.S.C. (A late vocation myself)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.