How Old was Jesus Christ when he was Crucified?

I heard Dr. Marcellino D'Ambrosio talk about this a few weeks ago. He says that current scholarship places Jesus' birth some time between 3 B.C. and 6 B.C.

Jesus was conceived at Midnight on Passover April 6, 1 B.C. Julian
Jesus was born at midnight on Christmas Dec, 25, 1 B.C. This was the winter solstice the day the sun is darkest and 4 days later the moon rose eclipsed on the horizon.
Jesus died at 3PM on Passover April 3, 33 A.D. Julian On this day the sun was darkened from noon to 3PM and the moon rose eclipsed at the horizon. In both cases the sun was darkened and the moon turned to blood before (Joel 2:31) (meaning before the face of or in the presence of) Jesus. Peter refers to this event in Acts 2:19-20 By the Jewish calendar He was 33 years from conception to birth. Since a lamb was in its first until it was a year old. Jesus was 33 years old when He died, but according to our modern reckoning, He died just before His 32nd birthday. He was 33 years to the day from conception to death. The three passovers in John mean that His public ministry started on Passover and ended on Passover, making that period of time two years elapsed, or four years by Jewish reckoning where parts of a year are counted as a full year. See
www.scripturescholar.com/ChronologyJesus.pdf, be careful my site was hacked and currently has a virus.
Grace and peace,
Bruce

Most churches, fathers and even I have always believed that Jesus Christ was 33 years old when he was crucified.

[quote="Bruce_Killian, post:22, topic:326531"]
Jesus was conceived at Midnight on Passover April 6, 1 B.C. Julian
Jesus was born at midnight on Christmas Dec, 25, 1 B.C. This was the winter solstice the day the sun is darkest and 4 days later the moon rose eclipsed on the horizon.
Jesus died at 3PM on Passover April 3, 33 A.D. Julian On this day the sun was darkened from noon to 3PM and the moon rose eclipsed at the horizon. In both cases the sun was darkened and the moon turned to blood before (Joel 2:31) (meaning before the face of or in the presence of) Jesus. Peter refers to this event in Acts 2:19-20 By the Jewish calendar He was 33 years from conception to birth. Since a lamb was in its first until it was a year old. Jesus was 33 years old when He died, but according to our modern reckoning, He died just before His 32nd birthday. He was 33 years to the day from conception to death. The three passovers in John mean that His public ministry started on Passover and ended on Passover, making that period of time two years elapsed, or four years by Jewish reckoning where parts of a year are counted as a full year. See
www.scripturescholar.com/ChronologyJesus.pdf, be careful my site was hacked and currently has a virus.
Grace and peace,
Bruce

[/quote]

l listen to catholic radio often. Llike Catholic Answers.

Just to go back to my earlier comment, but I do notice that many people tend to drop the half-year when they speak of Jesus being 33 years old. Shouldn’t it be 33 and a half?

[quote="patrick457, post:26, topic:326531"]
Just to go back to my earlier comment, but I do notice that many people tend to drop the half-year when they speak of Jesus being 33 years old. Shouldn't it be 33 and a half?

[/quote]

Well, if one buys the December 25th birth, isn't it more like 33 and a quarter? Or half-way between a quarter and a third?

Thank you Patrick457. Your immense knowledge of the Scriptures and biblical history is very impressive and so interesting in reading your deliberations…
I obviously assume most posters are American. I am a humble Australian catholic with a simple and deep devotion to the Lord through our beautiful Catholic faith.
I would like to share with you a point regarding the age of Jesus from our southern hemispherical perspective!
It has obviously been accepted over time that our Saviour was on this earth for 33 years.

The person who designed our Australian flag incorporated the 5 stars of the constellation called the “southern cross”. The vast majority of Australians would be totally unaware that this depiction of the southern cross on our flag has four stars with seven points and one with five, making a total of 33 points which was purposely designed to honor the belief that the Lord was on this earth for 33 years!
Maybe if it was more widely known, some might object and want it changed in the so called post Christian era!!

God bless to all.

If you want to read about the difficulty of dating ancient things, have a look at

Mathematical Methods in the Study of Historical Chronology by Florin Diacu

at ams.org/notices/201304/201304-full-issue.pdf

starting on page 441 (note the pdf starts around page 390)

It's quite complicated, we usually only see what has been accepted by today's scholars. I always figured the dates where quite well fixed for things in the last 3000 years. Who knew?

As I understand it, Jesus was baptised late in AD26 (aged 30) and crucified on Passover AD30. So his ministry was a few months less than 3 1/2 years. However, when we count from the Day of Atonement in AD26 we get the 3 1/2 years which was foretold by the prophet Daniel which concluded the countdown to Messiah.

[quote="shaky, post:1, topic:326531"]
I seem to read in one Gospel that it was about 1 year after Jesus was baptised by John the baptist that Christ was crucified. Another Gospel seems to indicate it was 3 years. Which to the way i seem to have read things Jesus was Crucified when he was about 33 years of age.

I was reading Irenaeus against heresies Book 2 chapter 22 v 5-6. Now Irenaeus seems to be saying that Christ was Past 40 and more closer to 50 when he crucified. He seems to base this on John 8:56-57. When the Jews said to Jesus you are not yet 50 and you was before Abraham ?

Ireneaus is saying Such langauge is Fittingly applied to One who has already past the age 40 without have reached the age of 50. Yet is not far from the latter age of 50. If Jesus had just gone thirty when the Jews said this to him. They can not be so far out by nearly 20 years in seeing his age nearly 50 when he is Just gone 30.

Is Ireneaus Wrong here ?....How do Catholics see how old Jesus was when he was Crucified ?

[/quote]

We do not know the date of birth nor the date of death of Jesus. It is not in Scripture and nor is it taught by the Church, and actually it is not relevant to our faith.
Scripture only says that Jesus was ABOUT 30 when he started his public ministry. That could mean late 20's or early 30's or maybe even wider than that.

[quote="ozellis, post:28, topic:326531"]
Thank you Patrick457. Your immense knowledge of the Scriptures and biblical history is very impressive and so interesting in reading your deliberations..
I obviously assume most posters are American. I am a humble Australian catholic with a simple and deep devotion to the Lord through our beautiful Catholic faith.
I would like to share with you a point regarding the age of Jesus from our southern hemispherical perspective!
It has obviously been accepted over time that our Saviour was on this earth for 33 years.

The person who designed our Australian flag incorporated the 5 stars of the constellation called the "southern cross". The vast majority of Australians would be totally unaware that this depiction of the southern cross on our flag has four stars with seven points and one with five, making a total of 33 points which was purposely designed to honor the belief that the Lord was on this earth for 33 years!
Maybe if it was more widely known, some might object and want it changed in the so called post Christian era!!

God bless to all.

[/quote]

hmm yeah 33
hey ozellis thanks for the trivia of your flag that's cool.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.