How old were you when you got married?

Since the other thread is old and the poll is closed, I thought I’d start another. I like polls. :slight_smile:

So, how old were you when you got married? Please answer the poll as yourself, but you can tell other details, such as the age of your spouse, in the thread.

I was 18 (two weeks away from 19) and my husband was 23 (three weeks away from 24). We had virtually nothing when we married and lived in a one bedroom apartment, now we have been married almost four years and have our own new house. Sometimes I think about starting out together with so little and how we have truly built our lives together. :slight_smile: There have been hard times, but I definitely do not regret it!

My husband and I got married at 22, but it was only a few months before we both turned 23.

I was 31 and my wife was 28.

I was 29 and he was 28. People are waiting longer to get married now adays and I think overall it’s a good thing. Some people are ready for marriage young. They know who they are and who they want to be. If I had chosen a husband when I was 18, based on who I thought I was at the time, I shudder to think of what my life would be today.

I was 18, he was 19. I was pregnant. My mom wanted me to have an abortion which was not legal back then. I said no way will I kill my own baby! So mom,dragged us across state line to get married by JP, backdated the marriage license, etc. Nightmare marriage of 16 years (and two kids I do not regret and love fiercely).
After years of counseling, and anullment, I am married for 25 years to my wonderful husband, and we have six kids between us, 7 grandkids so far. God is so good and so merciful. Only regret is the lost years away from the Catholic Church. Never again would I turn my back on the Lord.

20 yrs old first marriage - 2 wonderful children - not so good marriage (abusive)

43 yrs old second marriage - wonderful husband

I had just turned 22… my husband had just turned 32. :slight_smile:

I was 27, but it was 10 days before my 28th bday so I voted 28. :slight_smile:

Let’s see…How do I vote…

I was “married” at 18 but some years later we divorced…Then I remarried outside of the Church. Fourteen years later, the first marriage was annulled and the second marriage convalidated in the Church…
So did I marry at 18? At 38? At 52? :whistle::hmmm::doh2::juggle:

I voted 38 since that is when I hitched up with my dear and blessed lady - the Love of my life…

Peace
James

I was 32, he was 33. When we met, I was 30 and he was 31.

I had actually been ready for marriage for years, and was spending a lot of time with a wonderful Catholic man. I told myself that if he asked me to marry him, I would. But he never did. Then I met the man I would eventually marry. :extrahappy:

I hope the other guy eventually did find a wife, because he would make a fantastic husband and father and it would be a shame if he never got that chance.

I was 26 – Wife was 21…

I love Grandma’s story…

Great-grandma owned a boarding house… Grandma at age 9 is sitting at the breakfast table with her two brothers, she looks across the table and there sits a very handsome 21 year old man… Little Grandma whispers to her brothers “One of these days, I’m going to marry that man”

The man move out and goes to another town. He gets married to another woman, and in a few years she passes away… The man now moves back to the same boarding house… Grandma is now 16 and within a year the two are married.

Grandpa died at the age of 66… They had three children… My Dad and his two sisters. And 11 grandchildren, one of which is me.

Amen to this! I was 22, my wife was 21 when we married, both a couple months removed from college graduation. We had nothing, and were totally living on faith and love (we started out living with her parents). Now, 10 years and 4 beautiful children later, as far as I’m concerned, we’re still on our honeymoon! :smiley:

God is so good. We celebrate our 10-year anniversary tomorrow! :slight_smile: I love that we married young, and would not change a thing, had I to do it over again.

I was 20 and he was 30. We were married for 41 years when he died 14 years ago.

My husband was 28, I was 29. We’ve been married two years. My husband though had graduated college just before the economy went bad. Things are tight and even though he’s older, and I’ve worked, its still a bit like we started out as if we were in our early twenties.

I was 30, my husband was 24. I would not have been ready to get married before then. I’m glad I didn’t settle for any of the men I dated in my late teens and 20’s. I found the right one two days before my 28th birthday. I call him my birthday present from God.

I was just shy of 21 when I married.My husband was 25. We had one of those “shotgun” marriages:o We will celebrate 39 years of marriage this coming Sept. We also,had very little when we married,however God has blessed us abundantly through the years in many ways. We have three grown daughters,two of which are married. Two grandkids(I am really hoping for more!:slight_smile: What I am most grateful for is that after 32 years of marriage my husband converted to the Catholic faith.:extrahappy:The following year my grandbabies were baptized!:extrahappy: When my husband converted,that is when I became serious about my Catholic faith,I too have regrets for lost years when I was a very lazy Catholic.I thank God everyday for giving me the Grace to find my way home and that my husband and I can live out lives sharing our faith.:slight_smile:

I was 33, wife 26.

We met on a greyhound bus.

When we got married I was making $1,500/month as a prison chaplain, and we lived in a dumpy, damp, old basement.

They were good times.:thumbsup:

Well, I had a rather topsy-turvy romantic life in that I was engaged 3 times before I met and married my husband at age 35. He’s 7 years younger than me not the other way around. We married in the Episcopal Church after he had just gotten a divorce from his “wife” whom he married in a cult–the Way International. He had been baptized Catholic and been a practicing Catholic until he had gotten involved in the Way. I had nothing to do with the break up of his arranged marriage, but I was Episcopalian so that’s where we got married. A few years later I entered RCIA, my dh got a “lack of form” annulment and we had our marriage convalidated after I had been received into the Church. The parish in which I was received was very “liberal” at the time so they never said anything to us about having a convalidation. It wasn’t until we switched parishes that we even learned we had an irregular marriage. :rolleyes: Anyway, we had the convalidation, so we have two wedding dates to celebrate if we want. :slight_smile: Going by the first wedding, we’ve been married nearly 30 years.

I was 26, my wife 24. We had started dating in March 2008 and married June 2011, although we had discussed marriage after less than a year of dating, and it became a matter of ‘when’ probably in early 2010. This Monday will be 2 years since I proposed and she said yes :wink:

I was 20, he was 19. We found out 3 days after our engagement that I was pregnant, but he had lapsed and I (by that time) had lapsed from the LDS church and therefore didn’t see a point in rushing to get married. We stuck by our original planned date, and got married when I was 4 1/2 months along.

We had our marriage convalidated on our 3rd anniversary while I was going through RCIA (which were actually 2 separate events; Hubby was trying to get back to the Church and I was just interested in learning more about it- I had no plans of converting at that point), and the following Easter, 1 week before our son’s 3rd birthday, I was baptized into the Catholic Church.

We’ll be married 5 years in December. My biggest regret is that I fought so hard to NOT be Catholic for the first few years of our marriage. I can’t imagine how much less of a rollercoaster ride those years would have been if we had a sacramental marriage.

Today, Hubby and I are in a small apartment; he just graduated with his bachelors (FINALLY! YAY!), and, after job hunting for almost 3 months found a decent entry-level job that’ll feed us :slight_smile: We now have 3 children (ages 4, 2, and 2 1/2 months) and life is still an adventure!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.