How pure was Mary?

I know she was always a virgin, she never sinned, was very beautiful…

In what other aspects was she pure?

She was blessed with a pure heart. Instead of speaking about the many things which occurred in her amazing life, she pondered them in her heart. She could have complained, boasted, or gossiped, but she kept these things hidden in her heart. She submitted totally to God, declaring herself to be His handmaiden (or bond slave) - which went far beyond the physical bearing of God’s Son.

Mary was so pure that GOD allowed himself to use her to get into this world. GOD who could have picked ANYBODY or ANYTHING from the beginning of the world until the end of the world, picked Mary. How many billions of people have or will ever exist and he chose her. And, then…

When Mary went to find Jesus in the temple at 12 years old and he said “I must be in my father’s house” and she said “well, no, not now… come home with me” he did. He lived and stayed with her and she took care of him. She took care of GOD. Then at the Wedding at Cana, she went to him to tell him about the wine. And he said “why are you bothering me? It is not my time.” She said "yeah, it is… " and he did his first miracle. GOD allowed Mary to take care of him.

That is pretty big, I think and because of that, she must have been more pure or special than we could imagion. :slight_smile:

I’m unaware of Sacred Scripture saying that Mary was physically beautiful.

I think of Mother Teresa. Not a beautiful woman by earthly description.

But in my opinion, her face was “the most beautiful” of our age - because the Light of Jesus shone through her entire face.

In every way. Mary is typified in the ARK of the covenant. She is so special, Words cannot describe what she did, and continues to do. :slight_smile:

What else is there? She was free from Original Sin from the moment of her conception.

[INDENT]+**
**. . . :coffeeread: . . .

SOLEMNITY OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION
OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
BENEDICT XVI ****
ANGELUS
St Peter’s Square
Monday, 8 December 2008

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

The mystery of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, which we are solemnly celebrating today, reminds us of two fundamental truths of our faith: original sin first of all, and then the victory over it through Christ’s grace, a victory that shines in a sublime way in Mary Most Holy. The existence of what the Church calls “original sin” is unfortunately glaringly obvious, if we merely look around us and first of all within ourselves. The experience of evil is in fact so consistent that it imposes itself and raises in us the question: where does it come from? Especially for a believer, this question is even more profound: if God, who is absolute Goodness, created all things, where does evil come from? The first pages of the Bible (Gn 1-3) respond precisely to this fundamental question which challenges every human generation with the narrative of Creation and of the fall of our first parents: God created all things so that they might exist and in particular he created the human being in his own image; he did not make death but death entered the world through the envy of the devil (cf. Wis 1: 13-14; 2: 23-24) who, rebelling against God, deceived men and women and induced them to rebel as well. This is the drama of the freedom which God accepts to the very end for love, but promises that a woman’s son will crush the head of the ancient serpent (Gn 3: 15).

From the very beginning, therefore the “Eternal Design” as Dante would say, has a “fixed goal” (Paradise, XXXIII, 3): the Woman predestined to become Mother of the Redeemer, Mother of the One who humbled himself unto death to restore us to our original dignity. In God’s eyes, this woman has always had a face and a name: “full of grace” (Lk 1: 28), as the Angel addressed her when he visited her at Nazareth. She is the new Eve, the Bride of the new Adam, destined to be Mother of all the redeemed. This is what St Andrew of Crete wrote: “The Theotokos, Mary, the common refuge of all Christians, was the first to be liberated from the primitive fall of our first parents” (cf. Homily IV on the Nativity, PG 97, 880 A). And today’s liturgy says that God “prepared the Virgin Mary to be the worthy mother of his Son… and kept her sinless from the first moment of her being … to let her share beforehand in the salvation Christ would bring by his death” (cf. Opening Prayer for the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception).

Dear friends, in Mary Immaculate we contemplate the reflection of the Beauty that saves the world: the beauty of God resplendent on the Face of Christ. In Mary this beauty is totally pure, humble, free from all pride and presumption. Thus the Virgin showed herself to St Bernadette, 150 years ago, in Lourdes, and thus she is venerated at numerous shrines. This afternoon, in accordance with the tradition, I too will pay homage to her at the monument dedicated to her in the square near the Spanish Steps. Let us invoke the Immaculate Virgin confidently, repeating with the Angelus the words of the Gospel that today’s liturgy proposes for our meditation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/INDENT]
[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Gracious Heavenly Father+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Church+

:harp:[/RIGHT]

Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich described her in comparison to Mary Magdalen, saying that Our Lady may have met her match with Mary Magdalen, and may even have been surpassed in certain striking features, but that Our Lady far out-shown her in virtue, which made her more beautiful then all the rest.

This is a picture of our lady, which is in the Pieta prayer book, drawn by a mystic in Italy, who is said to have been guided by the hand by Our Lady -
http://www.bethlehemobserver.com/images/pieta19.jpg

and then there are all the apparitions of her, which are always described as exceedingly beautiful, and we are even told by, i think Anne Catherine Emmerich, or one of the others who saw the life of our Lord and our Lady, that she never looked a day past 33 after she passed that age,

i’ve also read that Jesus, without His beard, looked very much like His mother.

if you find any of that interesting, then you’d love these books -
tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/347
tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/347
tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/662

as for the original topic,
Our Lady was pure in every way, she was a reflection of God “My soul doth magnify the Lord.”
she was as pure as she could have been, in every thought, desire, word, and action, immersed completely in God, wanting nothing else, desiring nothing else.

there are also many books on our Lady on www.tanbooks.com if you’re interested.

I don’t think it’s in scripture, but I think it’s unanimous with all the saints who’ve had apparitions of her who talk of her beauty.

How can we humans understand purity? How pure must the highest Cherubim and Seraphim be? The Blessed Virgin Mary was yet more pure! She is the Queen of the Angels, and the Mother of God, the Word made Flesh.

So pure that demons are forced to speak with forced reverence of her.

From this book: scribd.com/doc/43209605/The-Rite-by-Matt-Baglio-Excerpt

Excerpt from the Prologue:

Then for an instant the woman snapped out of the trance, saying,“A tear from Mary is all it took,” before falling back into the state.The exorcist was elated to know that Mary was present and help-ing. He instantly launched into a Hail Mary. Everyone in the roomjoined in, even the woman on the table. Yet somehow the exorcistknew it wasn’t over.
The demon must be hiding to allow her to recite theprayer,
he thought. “Say after me: Eternal Father, you are my Creator and I adore you,” he said to the demon.The woman thrashed and screamed. “No!” the demon barked.“I’m not going to say it! I must not say it, I can’t; it is against every-thing.”The exorcist could feel that the demon was weakening. He askedeveryone in the room to kneel. “Eternal Father, you are my Creator and I adore you,” he intoned, while everyone repeated him.The woman, sensing the torment of the demon, saw all the saintsin the room respond as well.“No, no, even those other ones kneeled down—the white one,the black one, and the little white one,” the demon said. [SIGN]Then the ex-orcist noticed that the demon’s voice changed slightly to a tone of forced reverence when he added, “Her, her [Mary]—she kneeleddown as well.”[/SIGN]
This must be it,
the exorcis

Your logic says you must be correct, but how can we compare and contrast perfect purity to perfect purity?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.