How rick santorum helped donald trump win the white house

newsweek.com/2016/11/25/donald-trump-presidential-campaign-521145.html

HOW RICK SANTORUM HELPED DONALD
TRUMP WIN THE WHITE HOUSE

And now, in the spring of 2015, he was talking to a few family members and confidantes about running for president. And he wanted to get in touch with a former Republican senator from Pennsylvania, Rick Santorum, who had served two terms before losing big in 2006.

In 2012, he was the runner-up to Mitt Romney in the Republican presidential primaries. Ensconced since then in a Washington, D.C., law firm, Santorum had written a book that attracted little attention:

Blue Collar Conservatives, Recommitting to an America That Works

But Trump had read the book, very carefully, in fact, and was intrigued. He called Santorum and asked if he would come to Trump Tower for a visit. Santorum was a bit surprised by the invitation but said yes.

Though Santorum had been the “runner-up” in the GOP’s 2012 Primaries, had won the first in the nation Iowa primary before and was a constant guest of political talk shows in the run up to 2016 … he was somehow frozen out of the 10 person Fox News debates that kicked off the GOP nomination race due to mysterious polling that propelled Trump and two others who’d never held office of any kind into the premiere group.

Sans Santorum (except for his presence in the junior varsity debates in the not-for-prime-time warm ups for the main event) Trump had the blue collar issues to himself. And Rick looked to some like he was seconding Trump rather than the other way 'round when he reiterated his theme. And with Santorum, the media brushed past his ideas on the economy, defense, or weighty policies, seemingly obsessed with pursuing questions on religion or gay rights. :shrug:

Trump’s improbable run to the presidency—which was nearly derailed on several occasions by his lack of discipline—was guided by a conviction that he could, as political consultant and longtime Trump adviser Roger Stone said last year,

“rewrite the [electoral] map” by smashing the “great blue wall” of Midwestern Democratic states. And smash it he did.

Santorum initially backed Senator Marco Rubio for the GOP nomination - but after Trump became the clear frontrunner and made public his list of potential Supreme Court nominees, and made other assurances to Santorum, the former Pennsylvania Senator not only got on board with the Trump campaign but headed a group of prominent Catholics who supported his candidacy as a group.

Part of cutting down the Democrats’ traditional Great Lake State dominance by taking Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin (and retaining Indiana), was flipping the Catholic vote which Barack Obama had won the past two elections according to post-election polls.

americamagazine.org/content/dispatches/head-trumps-catholic-advisory-group-its-all-about-judges

“Mr. Trump has promised to appoint justices in the mold of great Catholic jurist and thinker Antonin Scalia,” – Joseph Cella, founder of the National Catholic Prayer Breakfast

Rick Santorum is a great statesman whom I initially supported for President before the Iowa caucus, and when he got behind Trump I knew Trump would make a good president.

I haven’t heard his name mentioned for anything in the Trump Administration much yet though. Except for Ambassador to England. Maybe he’s got other plans.

His background in Defense might come into play if he’s being considered. Or maybe putting some of those Blue Collar revamp ideas to use would come into play with some power at the Commerce Department, the Treasury or as Secretary of Labor?

foxbusiness.com/politics/2016/11/01/rick-santorum-clinton-is-melting-down.html

***When you check out the electoral map Fox News had up on November 1,

***Santorum’s prediction that Hillary Clinton was melting down looks pretty prescient.

He called Pennsylvania (at that time +6 for Clinton) … and per the map at 1:39 on the video

… Trump held

all 95 of the solid GOP electoral votes:
all 79 of the leaning GOP votes;

… And “won over”:

71 of the 77 tossup state votes, and
61 of the 105 leaning Democrat votes … to win the election.

The night Santorum was on (November 1) ** Fox **had the race:

Clinton 287 (270 needed to elect)
Trump 174
Tossup 77

http://www.trbimg.com/img-577e745c/turbine/ct-donald-trump-rick-santorum-vice-president-2-001/400/16x9

These days Santorum is not being mentioned for a cabinet post.

But I think he might have some sort of a role in the administration after the inauguration … if he wants one.

Barring that … I look for Santorum to be a TV commentator (again).

redstate.com/absentee/2016/12/01/rick-santorums-pitch-perfect-response-hecklers-cornell-video/ < Santorum heckled at Cornell this week.

He responded well IMO. Trump had a more confrontational style < also IMO.

cornellsun.com/2016/11/30/santorum-calls-protests-disrupting-lecture-sign-of-liberal-intolerance-at-cornell/

Santorum Calls Protests Disrupting Lecture
Sign of ‘Liberal Intolerance’ at Cornell

thetab.com/us/cornell/2016/12/01/santorum-disrespect-4409?utm_source=transactional&utm_campaign=recommendednext&utm_medium=youmayalsolike < At least one self-identified leberal was not happy about what went on at his school when he tried to hear Santorum out.

excerpt from the Cornell paper - a students’ opinion piece

**You don’t have to support him to want to see him speak
I didn’t watch the entire Rick Santorum speech, but I watched enough to know that I did not support majority of what he believes in. But, as I watched the speech and days leading up to the speech, I was disappointed by my school. I am a strict liberal, yet I didn’t support how my fellow democrats responded to Senator Santorum.

I woke up to a Facebook group request for me to attend a rally against him, and quite frankly, I was shocked and disturbed. Then while watching the speech on an almost consistent basis he was interrupted from the crowd yelling and arguing with him.

I am a firm believer in arguing my points, but there is a time and place for that. The time for arguing and discussing was when asking questions, not during his speech. The more us liberals continue to not hear out the conservatives, the more we lose the opportunity to understand why people believe what they believe and then argue in the cracks of their arguments. Shouting and screaming at him is not just disrespectful, but it discounts majority of Americans’ views. Quite frankly this behavior is how Trump was elected. People in this country who are strict conservatives feel silenced because liberals scream at conservatives telling them they are wrong.

In 1970 Governor Ronald Reagan came to speak at Santa Ana College when I was a freshman there. Most of the other students on the school paper (most of the VOCAL ones I should say) opposed his views. I was at that point rather neutral and curious.

He was our Governor and coming to speak at our campus. I liked that.

He was a movie/TV star whose movies I’d liked. So I looked forward to hearing him speak on whatever matters he was going to. Apparently, as I remember the incident – “protesters” who were called “students” in the press but looked WAY older than Junior College age* to some, shouted Reagan down … until finally, gracefully I thought, shrugged his shoulders, smiled and quietly left the stage.

That bad behavior IMO caused me to move away from “the left” at that time (when I was 19 and considering many ideas perhaps TOO open-mindedly). I felt just like this last Cornell student did … although I considered myself to be a moderate independent, not a liberal, even then.

** Junior Colleges DO have a higher proportion of “older students” it’s true. They COULD have been “students” technically – but they didn’t look to be trying to learn things at the time.

If true, this is very troubling news. Santorum is employed by the American Enterprise Institute.

I guarantee that goals of the AEI do not include empowering workers and fighting for their right to a living wage.

Santorum no doubt is there to keep gullible Catholics in the service of the AEI’s agenda of promoting world wide the system of state sponsored usury, IOW, capitalism. Part of this agenda will be to co-opt the Trump administration.

Rick Santorum is in favor of increasing the federal minimum wage (not to 10 dollars an hour, but he was willing to increase it past 8 dollars if I recall correctly). Rick Santorum also wants to bring back good manual labor jobs that blue collar workers have lost in recent years.

As a supposed spokesman for “blue collar Catholic ethnics”, Santorum needs to be talking about paying a living wage, which, depending on the area, can amount to at least 3 times the minimum wage. Incremental increases to the minimum wage are not adequate.

If he were to start stressing the necessity for a living wage, he’d be looking for a new employer, though.

Rick Santorum also wants to bring back good manual labor jobs that blue collar workers have lost in recent years.

The AEI is all about maximizing profit and minimizing wages. So, even if it were possible to bring back good manual labor jobs, the AEI would lobby for driving wages down as far as possible, because that’s the MO of the American Enterprise Institute.

I would be more impressed with Rick Santorum if he resigned from the AEI and took up with another think tank that didn’t support exploitative capitalism.

Published on Dec 6, 2016

youtu.be/vQrWPpoM5X8,CNN

NEWS

Van Jones, Rick Santorum and Ana Navarro Clash Over Muslims Fears of Trump on cnn

While no official part of the coming Trump administration … CNN cast Santorum in the role of Trump’s defender last night.

Rick Santorum visited Trump Tower today.

Later in the day Trump announced he’ll name his Secretary of State pick tomorrow.

Former Presidential Candidate Carly Fiorina was also scheduled to visit with the President Elect today.

The plot thickens. Were these job interviews or advisory sessions … or something else that I can’t think of?

youtube.com/watch?v=C_O7ZlSqVcI

Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum visits Trump

upi.com/News_Photos/view/upi/3a08895c56853693eb6354e509fad03a/Former-Pennsylvania-Senator-Rick-Santorum-visits-Trump/

Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum is seen in the lobby of Trump Tower in New York City for meeting with President-elect Trump on December 12, 2016. Trump continues to hold meetings to fill posts for his administration. Pool photo by Albin Lohr-Jones/UPI License photo

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.