How ridiculous

I am new to this site and just found it a couple of days ago after a very unfortunate incidence in an ethics class. I am in medical school (2nd year) and on Thursday we were studing and ethical case. I might come back later to describe the case to you (because that was ridiculous as well).

We had a hospital chaplain (Protestant) guiding our discussion. An obvious kill them if they are not perfect kind of guy (shudder). All of a sudden we were discussin whether a feeding tube was an artificial life support. He said the the Catholic diocese here in town belives that is is artificial even though the Vatican says it is not. I got really angry about this and although I didn’t say anything I was fuming. He then quoted Romans 13:1-2 (if someone could look that up and paste it I would be very grateful, I have an exam Tuesday so I’m in a bit of a hurry) and then he went on to say that it doesn’t matter what any church says acording to the Bible you have to do what the local law says because the law makers are given to us by God. I was fuming the class ended and I was left with some pent up emotions. I looked it up in the Catholic Catechism and came up with what he was saying was completely false, which I knew, but I felt so guilty about not standing up to him right then and there. I can’t stop thinking about it. I wrote him an e-mail which he hasn’t answered.

How do you keep your cool and yet think quickly on your feet to answer the BS that is throw at you. I can’t believe that man counsels sick people.:frowning:

Well in all fairness it says nothing about this kind of thing in the bible so its up for interpretation and its understandable how a priest could feel that a feeding tube was artificial. And ridiculous is spelled with an ‘i’ not an ‘e’. sorry, when i grow up i want to be an editor.

*This guy seems like a jerk. *

Here is the Romans quote.

Let every soul be subject to higher powers: for there is no power but from God: and those that are, are ordained of God. 2 Therefore he that resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God. And they that resist, purchase to themselves damnation. 3 For princes are not a terror to the good work, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? Do that which is good: and thou shalt have praise from the same. *

It’s not easy to keep your cool, especially when you read some of the stuff said on the net about Catholics. I admire people who do apologetics as it is very hard to not fume at some of the notions they have. Prayer is still the best way to keep cool. Say a little prayer mentally, take a deep breath, and you’ll realize the Holy Spirit taking over and just pouring all His wisdom into you.

[quote=siamesecat]Well in all fairness it says nothing about this kind of thing in the bible so its up for interpretation and its understandable how a priest could feel that a feeding tube was artificial. And ridiculous is spelled with an ‘i’ not an ‘e’. sorry, when i grow up i want to be an editor.
[/quote]

Thank you for the correction about my spelling. I was in a bit of a hurry

I was fuming because he said that the Church law should fall under what the local law says. Only later did I think of a great example. The Law in the US states that abortion is legal, according to what this chaplain was saying, the Catholic Church should allow Catholics to have an abortion. What BS!!! I just couldn’t think of anything to say in that moment and now I am kicking myself because I feel like he won a point.

[quote=ElizaE]I was fuming because he said that the Church law should fall under what the local law says. Only later did I think of a great example. The Law in the US states that abortion is legal, according to what this chaplain was saying, the Catholic Church should allow Catholics to have an abortion. What BS!!! I just couldn’t think of anything to say in that moment and now I am kicking myself because I feel like he won a point.
[/quote]

Well, don’t fret yourself over it. You know it’s not true, and that one would be led into sin if one follows his conclusion. Just know you’re a good Catholic, and that you strive to live life the way Christ wants you to.

So if he was in the USSR or Nazi Germany he would have to obey the leaders? There are laws that are not binding on Catholics, because they go against Christ.

As for the fuming part. I know what you mean, I hear that stuff from “teachers” all the time that makes me want to stand up and tell them how morally offensive they are. Dont do that. I am one of those people who learns the hard way, and I have pissed my share of “teachers” ( way before the end of the school year), and you know what, they made my time miserable on everything from grading to dicipline. If its you second year you dont want a black X on you for the rest of the time. There are many who agree with you but keep quiet or limit their talk to those who understand what they are going through.

[quote=ElizaE]I am new to this site and just found it a couple of days ago after a very unfortunate incidence in an ethics class. I am in medical school (2nd year) and on Thursday we were studing and ethical case. I might come back later to describe the case to you (because that was ridiculous as well).

We had a hospital chaplain (Protestant) guiding our discussion. An obvious kill them if they are not perfect kind of guy (shudder). All of a sudden we were discussin whether a feeding tube was an artificial life support. He said the the Catholic diocese here in town belives that is is artificial even though the Vatican says it is not. I got really angry about this and although I didn’t say anything I was fuming. He then quoted Romans 13:1-2 (if someone could look that up and paste it I would be very grateful, I have an exam Tuesday so I’m in a bit of a hurry) and then he went on to say that it doesn’t matter what any church says acording to the Bible you have to do what the local law says because the law makers are given to us by God. I was fuming the class ended and I was left with some pent up emotions. I looked it up in the Catholic Catechism and came up with what he was saying was completely false, which I knew, but I felt so guilty about not standing up to him right then and there. I can’t stop thinking about it. I wrote him an e-mail which he hasn’t answered.

How do you keep your cool and yet think quickly on your feet to answer the BS that is throw at you. I can’t believe that man counsels sick people.:frowning:
[/quote]

Why not have a few hundred copies of your own past around to set the record straight. You can make no reference to his presentation, simply print out the truth as your own point of view. You can quote some Church officials after first gaining permission. You can make reference to printed material which will also strengthen your stand.

After this I bet after this wake-me-up he’ll do some research on his topics before he steps up to the podium. Most likely no one ever challenged him. You have every right to publicly defend the dogma of your Institution to counter a statement said publicly.

It’s in vogue to attack the Catholic Church in this era has it’s intrinsic charitable and tolerant stance as the true Christian Institution seems to draw the wolves. It is appropriate on occasion for the congregation to show some fangs of it’s own on occasion. You will note it is very rare to have someone get up and state the erroneous beliefs of the Muslims or Jewish faith, as they know what would result. They would be veryyy careful not to offend anyone there.

Andy

Also, check the facts. does the local diocese really teach against the Vatican? Or is it your typical media-out-of-context becoming urban legend?

Scott

I should clarify how our ethics discussion work. We have small groups with a few advisors. Some of them work in the school and some are from the community. This particular guy was from a local hospital where he SITS ON ETHICS COMMITEES. Can you believe that? He actually guides people on life and death issue, literally.

I just wonder how many people he guided based on his erroneous notions. It is really scary to think that if I ever ask for an Ethics commitee when I am a physician he might be sitting on it.

Anyways, I did write him an e-mail (I had to put it in care of the head of the Ethics Class) so I hope he gets it. I was very cool in the letter and just quoted the Catechism and what it had to say on the matter. I have a feeling that it will go unanswered because he probably now feels like an idiot. My husband is a 1st year and next year he will have to endure these ethics classes. I have told him to bring the Catechism to each one because somehow (I never bring it up) but someone always brings up the Catholic faith in these things and yet we do not have single priest or nun as an advisor. Hmmm, I wonder why that is?

I am so happy I found this forum. Might be the only good thing that came out of that ethics discussion.

Thanks

[quote=ElizaE]I should clarify how our ethics discussion work. We have small groups with a few advisors. Some of them work in the school and some are from the community. This particular guy was from a local hospital where he SITS ON ETHICS COMMITEES. Can you believe that? He actually guides people on life and death issue, literally.

I just wonder how many people he guided based on his erroneous notions. It is really scary to think that if I ever ask for an Ethics commitee when I am a physician he might be sitting on it.

Anyways, I did write him an e-mail (I had to put it in care of the head of the Ethics Class) so I hope he gets it. I was very cool in the letter and just quoted the Catechism and what it had to say on the matter. I have a feeling that it will go unanswered because he probably now feels like an idiot. My husband is a 1st year and next year he will have to endure these ethics classes. I have told him to bring the Catechism to each one because somehow (I never bring it up) but someone always brings up the Catholic faith in these things and yet we do not have single priest or nun as an advisor. Hmmm, I wonder why that is?

I am so happy I found this forum. Might be the only good thing that came out of that ethics discussion.

Thanks
[/quote]

Does he allow questions and opinions when he’s done?

An excellent source for the layman is a set of 3 volumes put togeather by Frs. Rumble and Carty, and Msgr. Fulton J Sheen and it’s called Radio Replies. These are still in print and the last I checked they were 35$ for the set on eBay, but other book providers can supply as well. An excellent reference for the new family. There are over 5000 questions and answers put simply so every Catholic can understand. I use it for my reference along with the New Advent (newadvent.org) and my New Amer. Bible.

Andy

So, he thinks that St. Paul teaches that the Church should always follow local law because the lawmakers are given to us by God?

Then it sure would have saved the early Christians a lot of trouble and persecution, if only they had followed the local Roman law of the time which required them to make a token offering of incense to the Emperor as a god. They refused to follow the law, and persecution followed.

How do reply when your ? Practice and study. Know your stuff and the more you defend the easier it gets to keep your wits about you. If you know you will be heading into a possibnle situation where you may have to defend the faith ask the Holy Spirit to give you the words you need to say.

[quote=Catholic Dude]So if he was in the USSR or Nazi Germany he would have to obey the leaders?
[/quote]

No kidding. Must be difficult for him to decide whether or not to obey the US government. Being the product of rebellion and all…

It would be interesting to hear what he thinks about unborn babies being murdered every day.
According to our law…it’s legal…so that should make it ok, and everyone quit their bellyachin’

Don’t feel bad about not saying anything to the man. Whenever I am caught off guard like that, I tend to not think of the right things to say until it is too late and the situation is over with!

Karen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.