How Saint Lawrence healed me and my search for a spiritual identity

On a warm Wednseday night in August of 2010 I went to sleep feeling fine as always, only to wake up with a Type 2 spontaneous Pneumothorax (collapsed lung). Spontaneous Type 2 meaning it was not caused by trauma or any sort of intrusion - it’s just something that happened. There are several thousand cases of this illness each year (in Canada). It mostly occurs to tall skinny males.

What made my case a bit worse than others is the fact that after my pleural cavity was drained of air my left lung did not re-seal itself. Usually your lung is supposed to stop leaking air into your chest after a couple of days at which point the chest tube is removed and you are discharged from care.

On Sunday morning of that week I met with my team of 3 surgeons who advised me that the smartest thing at this point would be to go through a surgical procedure where they literally staple the lung shut and stick it back to the inside of your chest. I agreed.

After the meeting, I did something I have never done. Being in a Catholic hospital, I attended the Sunday mass. The mass that day was dedicated to Saint Lawrence - martyr/deacon.

I don’t know why, but instead of choosing to pray to God, I chose to pray to Saint Lawrence. I told him how much I admired his bravery when he was faced with a situation where the world stood right against him. I told him how much I hated the fact he had to sacrifice his own life to protect the greater good. I asked Saint Lawrence to forgive me and my sins - to heal me.

I went to the chapel on Monday morning as well and said another prayer to Saint Lawrence. By Monday afternoon my lung was completely sealed and I was discharged from the hospital the next day.

With all my heart, I believe this was the sole work of Saint Lawrence…and no one will ever be able to tell me otherwise.

I was born into a mixed family. Father is a Muslim and mother is Eastern Orthodox.
I was brought up with a leaning toward Islam - a religion I learned to despise later on in life.

I believe in God. I do not believe in the bible (or any religious texts). Men write books - not God. When the bible and religious texts were written everybody was messed up on alcohol and all kinds of wack stuff - (remember, there was barely any clean water back in the day and alcohol was the drink of choice for thousands upon thousands of years).

I’ve read the bible on more than one occasion and from my understanding, most of it is a one way conversation between God and the Jews. I am not a Jew. I have nothing to relate to in the biblical texts.

This past weekend I got into a fight with about 4 or 5 people (don’t remember). Basically I almost lost my life. This has got me thinking about my spiritual identity/purpose in the world, etc.

I want to be a part of something. But how can I be a part of the Church when I think that the doctrine is nothing but bs on a silver plate? Maybe I should just stick with worshiping Saint Lawrence?

I was born into a mixed family. Father is a Muslim and mother is Eastern Orthodox.
I was brought up with a leaning toward Islam - a religion I learned to despise later on in life.

I believe in God. I do not believe in the bible (or any religious texts). Men write books - not God. When the bible and religious texts were written everybody was messed up on alcohol and all kinds of wack stuff - (remember, there was barely any clean water back in the day and alcohol was the drink of choice for thousands upon thousands of years).

I’ve read the bible on more than one occasion and from my understanding, most of it is a one way conversation between God and the Jews. I am not a Jew. I have nothing to relate to in the biblical texts.

This past weekend I got into a fight with about 4 or 5 people (don’t remember). Basically I almost lost my life. This has got me thinking about my spiritual identity/purpose in the world, etc.

I want to be a part of something. But how can I be a part of the Church when I think that the doctrine is nothing but bs on a silver plate? Maybe I should just stick with worshiping Saint Lawrence?

If Saint Lawrence was kind enough to miraculously cure you, don’t you think it might be worth taking serious the religion he belonged to? I don’t understand how it makes sense that Saint Lawrence would repair your lung, but God inspiring the Bible is pushing it? What happened to you doesn’t happen to many people. You have been given a great gift…but you’re wasting that gift. That gift isn’t your health, but actually being touched by God. You now KNOW there is more to the world than yourself, and that Saint Lawrence is praying for you.

Again, don’t you think Saint Lawrence would appreciate it if you learned more about his faith. You have been given a wonderful gift of the faith. Take advantage!

Also, why did you get into a fight with 4 or 5 people? Why can’t you remember?

Perhaps it might be time to meet with a priest for spiritual guidance?

Saint Lawrence will point you to God. That is the one thing I have learned on my journey so far! Don’t be shy about asking Saint Lawrence for spiritual direction… I pray you will find your way.

Praise God for miracles!

Obl1vion, You have some misconceptions about the bible and religion. The way to overcome these is to study the religion and pray.

You have learned a valuable lesson. You have learned that one of our Saints is absolutely real and that he has love for us and can intervene on your behalf. The Church teaches us this. Most folks take this on faith. You have empirical evidence.

Faced with this information, I would have to think that you would be compelled to see what else the Church may be right about. Upon further study of Roman Catholicism, you will find that it is a totally rich, logical, and also mysterious belief.

Put aside some of your preconceived notions and take a look. :thumbsup:

Guys, first and foremost - thank you so much for the warm responses!

@Danquayle76

You are absolutely correct. What I said really does not make any logical sense. I know that Saint Lawrence has healed me yet I, as a flawed human being am too closed up to accept God’s influence in this ordeal…the thing is that I KNOW such logic is flawed yet it somehow seems correct - perhaps it’s because I have thought this way my whole life?

I have no idea why I got into a fight with a group of people. If I did know, I’m sure it would have been a hell of a story. Basically I went out to party with a bunch of my friends…I was having an awesome time (A LOT of drinking involved) next thing I remember is throwing a couple of punches, and taking a couple myself. The next memory after that is getting stitches all over my face in the hospital.

I have strayed, and it is time for spiritual guidance.

@marbles_the_cat

I thank you for your prayers. They mean the world to me.

@MtnDwellar

Thanks for the advice. You are absolutely correct - I do have absolute paramount evidence of the influence Saint Lawrence is capable of…and I am going to start to take steps of learning about Catholicism, something I should have started doing last year.

May God bless all of you!

If there is one thing I will never doubt it is that original sin exists. The history of world shows repeatedly that humans are deeply flawed creatures. So its not at all unusual for people to have flawed thinking.

To address your point on the Bible, there have been saints that have had your attitude. Saint Augustine for one quit reading the Bible after getting a little bit into Genesis because he thought it was just a fairy tale, and a poorly written one at that! Later in life he came back to the Book of Genesis and drew some of his most important religious insights from it!

Also, Saint Peter not only knew Christ personally, he KNEW Jesus was God…yet he too rejected him three times! We’re strange creatures…

Faith isn’t always an easy thing. But, it’s worth the work you put into it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.