How should Catholics deal with Protestants? The early church said not to associate but the doctrine has changed? (OP reached new poster limit for 7/10, but please keep answering!)

I’m a recent convert to Catholicism, so I have some questions about how I should treat my Protestant family and friends. Even my favorite band is made up of Protestants! Now, I know that Vatican II states that Protestants are “separated brethren”, but this goes against most of church history, for example Athanisius states that if someone isn’t a part of the visible Catholic church, they have no right to call themselves a Christian. It really worries me that I’ll have to leave my family and friends (and I’d prefer to keep listening to that band as well). Please help me! Is it a sin to associate with a Protestant?

No, it isn’t a sin. Listen to what the Church currently says. And consider it an opportunity to set an example.

How can I be sure that the Church hasn’t been led astray in their teaching?

Treat them as the fellow Christians they are, nothing more nothing less. There are many ecumenical agreements between the Catholic church and Protestant ones.

But how do you know that they are real Christians? The church has only recently begin treating them as such.

Find out the type of Christian and look up what they have worked out with Rome. For example there is substantial work with the Lutherans and the Anglicans (Church of England).

Love them, serve them, and manifest the fruit of the Spirit to them.

Galatians 5:22 " But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control…"

At that time, all those who were not Catholic were heretics and apostates. This is not the case since the Reformation. You can trust the Vatican 2 Council to guide you.

Only if you are engaged in sinful behaviors while you are doing it!

If you are not, then you had no business becoming Catholic.

This is not up to you to decide. You worry about your own faith and leave theirs to God.

I just don’t want to see my family and friends go to hell.

You hit the nail right on the head, friend. :+1:

What do you mean?

with love.

Jesus said the second most important commandment is love thy neighbour

ohh, I didn’t see the @ guanophore. Sorry :smiley:

You must allow Jesus to shine through you and work through you. Pray for these people and be their lantern in the window.

We must not shun non catholics.

There are very few Catholics, practising, or even Christians , in my circle. Its all good. God does His work through us

Listen to St. Peter: “I truly understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears Him and does what is right is acceptable to Him."

But wasn’t the Church’s policy during, like, the first 1500 years of Christianity to ‘shun heretics?’

Protestants are not heretics. They are Christians. It’s just that their pie has a couple pieces missing. :pie: Catholics have the whole pie.

Lets forget what we think is the Theology of the early Church. Lets use the example of Jesus.

Jesus came to call sinners.

Lets look at the Church today. The Holy Spirit works with anf guides the Church.

look at any natural disaster, or incident. Everyone has spent a few weeks praing for the Thai soccer kids

That hasn’t been the church’s view until recently.

But for this issue, wouldn’t it be right to look at the example of the early church?

The Church is guided by the Holy Spirit. Things change over time, case in point being the Sacrament of reconcilliation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.