How should I handle this?

Hi everybody! I hope you are all well.

I’m having trouble with a friend of mine. I’ve known him for almost two months, and everything was going great between us, until about 3 weeks ago. There had been a fight between his dad and my uncle a long time ago, when my father was just a little kid. My father told me that he was afraid that my friend would be like his father, and I made the mistake of being honest, and telling my friend what he said…and now he cut off all communication with me… It saddens me so bad, and I just want to make it better, but don’t know how, or if I should even try. I wanted this to be a good friendship. :frowning: I don’t know how to deal with this, and it brings me to tears every time I think about it (I have a tendency to really attach to people when I get to know them). Please help me out, and pray for me too! :frowning:

Hi Firebug,
It’s always a mistake to repeat negative comments from another person to someone. Let the person with the negative thoughts tell them himself, then you don’t get stuck in the middle.
It’s a shame that your friend has cut off communication. He seems to be overreacting. You could let him cool off for a week or so, then send him a note saying that your friendship was important to you and you hate to see it end. Then the ball will be in his court, and he will have to decide whether to continue the friendship or not. There’s little else you can do.
Will pray that it works out for you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.