How should I react to what a priest said about Orthodox'es and Protestants?

On a Jul,28th,'12 Mass the priest said that the [evil one] walked the Earth in 1050 causing the Schism and the resulting Orthodox Church and again in 15-something resulting in the Protestant groups and we shouldn’t be afraid to say that.He said something like were meant to be one flock under Christ (.i.e.I think he meant all of us as one Church).It kind of bothers me that he said that b/c it’s kind of like saying that in Christianity Catholicism is the true religion and frankly I really have problem when ppl say the "one true religion and that whole concept.I sort of felt that maybe he wasn’t exactly expressing his thoughts with the right intention per se and that saying that seemed misguidingly insulting to Orthodox’es and Protestants.What do you guys think about this and what I should do?.

It sounds to me like he has not studied church history regarding those periods of time…surely, as Popes have done, we can acknowledge the role the Catholic Church played as well in those schisms.
I agree, I don’t like when people speak in platitudes they don’t seem to understand…The fullness of truth can be found in the teachings of the church. But, that is not quite the same as saying “one true religion”. It sounds like he thinks that Jesus came to earth for the purpose of founding a church and that the early church looked exactly like it does now and has from the very beginning and that there were never any divisions from day one. He really needs to go back and study Christianilty in late antiquity and then see what the Church Fathers were writing and why.

I think that the evil one rejoices when Christians divide. So the events of the Great Schism and the Protestant revolt were some of his happiest.

and maybe this is all the priest meant

As Catholics we’re suppossed to believe that ours is the one true religion. Other Christians are still Christians and the Orthodox have legitamate Sacraments and have almost everything right, but Jesus wants all Christians to be united as one Church. The Schism and the Reformation were unfortunate events and although certainly others are responsible, I think Satan definately played a role in them.

Don’t Roman Catholics believe they are the One True Church? Possessors of the One True Faith?

As an Orthodox I find nothing that your priest said offensive. I don’t believe it’s true but it’s also not offensive - he’s saying what I would expect a Roman Catholic to say (and I respect him for saying it, for it is much easier to falsely claim unity or talk fluff instead of firmly saying “we don’t agree and I believe you are wrong.”)

As a Lutheran, I’m not too upset with our split with the Catholic church being put in terms like this - it really is a sad thing that we are apart.

It’s a shame that so many people assume their priest has bad intentions when he says something confusing.

I see nothing wrong with what the priest said in regards to the schism and Protestantism, although I dare say expressed inadequately.Whether you want it or not,whether you believe it or not,whether you like it or not is irrelevant,the fact still remains;the Catholic Church is the true Church founded by Christ and the Catholic Faith is a continuation of the Hebrew Faith fulfilled plain and simple.If you have an issue with Church doctrines and dogmas,etc,I suggest you take it up with it’s founder.

The problem with “free-spirited/new-age thinking Catholics” is they think it their right to force God’s hand and bend His will to their way of thinking out of respect for others who oppose His Church and Laws.Free thinking is good,but right thinking is better.When men come to thinking without restraint or governed by reason,they come to a point when they think whatever they like.I assert no malice,but I think your faith is treading on thin ice.

In Catholicism you cannot pick and choose what you like as if in a Buffet.It is all or nothing.This trend of being of the renaissance ideal;to avoid speciality in order to be collective in a wide rage of knowledge is both advancing and deadly.You must improve and apply yourself in Catholic studies.The only way to love something is to have profound knowledge of it.Finally,do not make talking about priests and religious a light matter or habitual.

P.S.Don’t take me the wrong way,it is an act of charity to correct someone when they’re wrong;especially in matters of faith.

God bless,

JMJ

Bravo, Bravo! LOL! The truth will set you free. Seek and you shall find the truth. Read and know the History of the Catholic Church. We should not be afraid to defend our faith. We should learn to be kind and gentle in doing so. Have a good evening and God Bless You. Brenda:thumbsup:

Saying that the devil caused the breaks in Chrisianity is not saying through whom he worked to do it. It doesn’t sound to me like anything the priest said placed the blame on Orthodox or Protestant people as opposed to Catholics.

–Jen

This is what a Catholic is suppose to believe and what the Magisterium officially teaches. If not, then why be Catholic?

-Chris

Catholic, or catholic ? ;). I just had to throw that out there. There are some (can’t speak for all, at this point, I haven’t spoken to all of them; I might die before then :p) Orthodoxy who believe they’re the one holy catholic apostolic church. Yes, we share the same succession, which I is I pray for unity, for all the right reasons.

confused because your identity claims you are catholic and that kind of means the same as the ones you are declaring the priest said the truth…

catholic means Universal
Catholic means to Roman Catholic etc

so are you Catholic or catholic and yes it does very sadly matter on these forums when you start claiming what you have done so are you back stabbing yourself or don’t know your religion:shrug:

I agree that there is nothing he said that is wrong. I am a member of the one true church established by Jesus Christ.

However, the division with the Orthodox may be laid at the feet of the Catholics living at that time with Satan prompting them to divide. Some became Orthodox some became Catholic.

Similarly at the time of the reformation, the division may be laid that the feet of the Catholics living at that time with Satan prompting them to divide. Some became Protestant some became Catholic.

We are always called to heal our divisions and with God’s help some healing goes on every day.

[quote="sidetrack, post:1, topic:294594"]
On a Jul,28th,'12 Mass the priest said that the [evil one] walked the Earth in 1050 causing the Schism and the resulting Orthodox Church and again in 15-something resulting in the Protestant groups and we shouldn't be afraid to say that.He said something like were meant to be one flock under Christ (.i.e.I think he meant all of us as one Church).

[/quote]

To be clear: the church was designed by God to be ONE Body. To point out that Satan is the one who wants us divided and attacking each other is NOT to say that these churches are necessarily tools of or following Satan: it is only to point out that division of the church fits right in with what Satan wants.

It kind of bothers me that he said that b/c it's kind of like saying that in Christianity Catholicism is the true religion and frankly I really have problem when ppl say the "one true religion and that whole concept.

IF there is such a thing as objective truth (and the church holds that there is), then there is also objective "untruth". If that is the case, then where two organizations hold mutually exclusive beliefs (where if one belief is true, the other cannot be... eg, mary either had children or she did not), then in such circumstances there are only two options:

1) One is right and has "truth", while the other is wrong
2) Both are wrong.

As such, we DO hold, as a church, that we are the true Christian church founded by Christ nearly 2,000 years ago... we hold that our church teaches NO false doctrine, that 100% of it is objectively true, and where other churches teach doctrine which is mutually exclusive, that they are wrong. That's not a wishy-washy sentiment, it's a foundational doctrine of the church (in fact, debate over how that truth is enumerated was a major cause of the 1050 schism). Understand, then, that your objection to the idea of the church as the one true church is NOT an objection merely to a single priest's words, but rather to a foundation of Catholic faith.

Now, all of that is not to say that we are the only church that possesses any measure of truth... in fact ALL Christian Churches possess some amount of truth in such degree as they have held onto truths from before the reformation and separation from magisterial authority. In extension, the Jews and the Muslims ALSO have a partial share in that Christian truth. HOWEVER, there is only ONE source for the totally of God's revealed truth, and that is the Catholic church... all others contain some level of doctrinal error.

I sort of felt that maybe he wasn't exactly expressing his thoughts with the right intention per se and that saying that seemed misguidingly insulting to Orthodox'es and Protestants.What do you guys think about this and what I should do?.

I think two things:

1) you should read the section of the Catechism on "rash judgement" and how you're instructed to interpret the statements of others (aka, with as much charity as possible rather than judging them instantly to have malicious intent)

2) That what he said is utterly true and 100% orthodox to Catholic teaching.

Is someone trying to tell me or others something? Why do these miracles only occur in Orthodox or Roman Catholic Churches? Yet, allowing for the size differential,…why do they seem to happen more so in this one church? I am confused…:confused:

Wrong, Catholic can mean Roman Catholic but does not have to.

We need more Priests like that in the Church! The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it...

Same here. :thumbsup:

-Chris

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.