How should one take private revelations?

I have read a lot of private revelation sites but I don’t know what to do.

For example, Little Mary, a new woman named Catalina, greatcrusade.org/greatcrusade/Mass/Holy_Mass-Web.htm and etc…

I read on a newspaper at a parish that quoted our Mother saying “Don’t chew him!” and I was confused.

Help please?

:blessyou:

Hello there,
I know of this site and personally it has been a great help to me. I think one needs to find out what the Vatican’s opinion is; whether the site is under investigation or flatly rejected. Anyway once you start reading what these sites have to say,and compare what has been said to saints in previous centuries, it is pretty easy to see whether they should be avoided or not.
As for “chewing it” … Well one chews gum but do you really want to chew the body of Christ? I prefer to let it gently “melt” and then discreetly swallow while I am saying my thanks giving prayers.I just like to enjoy the moment of when Christ comes to me and you know what? Sometimes I have to try very hard not to have such a big smile on my face; though as I feel so happy it generally shows:-)
As for other private revelations there is the book by Gabrielle Bosis “He and I” which I find a wonderful help and also the the books by Father John Wooley of which "I am with you " is the first. If you are sincerely looking for guidance you shall find it.Жanna

Private revelations are just that private, for the individual who received them. Now a revelation may contain some message requesting it to be made public. This is done through the Church, via the local Bishop. A Catholic is not free to publish a private revelation message on their own. I would be very suspect of it if they do so without any involvement from the local Bishop, especially if he objects to it.

Wow, I am very seldom in this forum, but saw this one and HAD TO reply. I attended Catholic grade school, and of course (in that day and age:)) was taught by all nuns. When we made our first communion, Sr. Thomas threatened us within an inch of our lives NOT TO CHEW THE HOST!! I will never forget her saying: “Woe be to anyone I catch chewing Our Lord Jesus as they get up from the Communion Rail!! You are to let the Host melt in your mouth and then swallow!” To this day, there is no way I could even MAKE MYSELF chew the Host.:slight_smile: She did a good job ingraining THAT ONE into our very being!! (I see Deacons, Priests, Eucharistic Ministers, and laity alike CHEWING AWAY, and just want to scream the same thing…DON’T CHEW HIM!!!)

Are not the words, “Take and EAT, Take and DRINK”?

Last time I ATE something, I did not let it melt…I chewed.

Depending on the type of unleavened bread used, it must be chewed (during Holy Week, people bake the communion bread usuing whole wheat flour and water, so it is VERY chewy).

I read on a newspaper at a parish that quoted our Mother saying “Don’t chew him!” and I was confused.

++++++++++

Sr. Thomas threatened us within an inch of our lives NOT TO CHEW THE HOST!! I will never forget her saying: "Woe be to anyone I catch chewing Our Lord Jesus as they get up from the Communion Rail!!

+++++++++++

Chewing or not chewing the Host is nothing more than personal piety.

Some whole wheat hosts NEED to be chewed.

And in Eastern Churches that use leavened bread, chewing is necessary, though it be soaked with the Precious Blood.

Surely, were this the Most Holy Theotokos speaking, she would be aware of the practices of Eastern Churches!

Though I am extremely uncomfortable with the idea of chewing the Eucharist (I used to do it though :blush:), I would take private revelation websites with a huge grain of salt. People are going to imagine anything they want and assume God told them it. If the Church has not approved a private revelation, you may want to think twice about believing it.

Of course, no one is under any obligation to accept any private revelation. Only public revelation is required to be believed.

In the footnotes of the NAB translation of John 6 (Christ’s “I am the Bread of Life” discourse), it notes that in John 6:54-58, the original Greek verb for “eats” is NOT the generic word for human eating but the term which Greek speakers at the time of Christ used to describe animals devouring or gnawing on the flesh of their prey. The term obviously implies chewing.

In other words, if you translate those verses literally from the Greek, Christ says: “Whoever devours/gnaws/chews on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life…”

The footnote goes on to say that “This may be part of John’s emphasis on the reality of the flesh and blood of Jesus… but the same verb eventually became the ordinary verb in Greek meaning ‘eat’.”

However you translate it, it obviously sounded pretty shocking (and was meant to be shocking) to Christ’s original audience, as evidenced by the fact that many of his followers left him after that. In fact Christ then asked his own Apostles “Does this shock you?” (Jn. 6:61).

Given the fact that Christ Himself – as quoted by John the Evangelist – invited his own followers to “chew on” or devour his flesh, it seems kind of ironic that so many Catholics were raised on the notion that one should NEVER, ever, chew on or bite the Host!

Now I will admit that allowing the Host to dissolve on your tongue is much preferable to munching on it in a careless or obvious manner as if you were chewing gum – that DOES drive me nuts when I see it. Even at ordinary meals we are taught not to chew with our mouth open or in an exaggerated manner. Just out of charity, reverence, and good manners, it probably is best to avoid chewing the Host. However, the notion that it’s some kind of deadly sin or sacrilege if the Host touches your teeth is, IMHO, a bit extreme.

If the teeth are somehow an evil part of the body, perhaps we should think about removing them?!!!

This idea is a form of dualism if it becomes anything more than personal piety. Chewing is part of the digestive process, it begins with chewing, and saliva begins to act to break down the food, then in the stomach it is again acted upon through chemical and mechanical means. Why is chewing a special and dis-allowable part of this process? Does it somehow hurt God, more even than the acids of the stomach. Obviously not.

Private revelations, if they happen to you, should be compared against church teachings and interpreted that way. It is a good idea to get help from someone like a spiritual advisor. Usually, they should not be revealed to the general public.

Private revelations to someone else have no bearing on you unless they have come through the Church first.

Revelation isn’t always from God. We can also manufacture such things in our own minds, or even recieve messages from more diabolical sources.

So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; 54 he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. 56 He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever.” 59 This he said in the synagogue, as he taught at Caper’na-um.

60 Many of his disciples, when they heard it, said, “This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?” 61 But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples murmured at it, said to them, “Do you take offense at this? 62 Then what if you were to see the Son of man ascending where he was before? 63 It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. 64 But there are some of you that do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the first who those were that did not believe, and who it was that would betray him. 65 And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.” 66 **After this many of his disciples drew back and no longer went about with him. **(Jn 6:53-66)

John 6:66 (666?) is the only passage in Sacred Scripture where disciples leave Jesus!

Read Sacred Scripture, it is THE WORD OF GOD!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

I am aware of the permission that a bishop has to give in order for the revelation to be publicized. It’s just that I still feel doubtful about them. :confused:

Like the Holy Mass book really helped me to understand how to LIVE the Mass and not just attend. Maybe that’s what the revelations are for? but why aren’t they publicized for the whole Church to see?

If someone hasn’t bothered to consult her Bishop, then it wouldn’t get published with the Bishops permission. At that point, you have to wonder about the person who publishes without going to her priest or Bishop. Why has the person avoided this?

If the person did go, and was refused permission to publish, then there is a good chance there was a good reason. Maybe it just isn’t a message meant for everybody.

People can still publish their opinions about things and leave out the claim to a special revelation.

But consider this. By making that claim to private revelation, the person is not just saying something is his or her own opinion or argument. It is saying that it has a greater authority which comes from God, who gave the revelation. What does it mean for a person to claim that at all? To claim it without the permission of the Church? It sounds a bit like hubris to me, an attempt to take on the authority of God for oneself. That is a very serious diversion from what Christianity teaches us we are to do. The other possibility is a real lack of discernment. I would be hesitant to take any religious advice from either type of person.

How should one take private revelations?

With a very large grain of salt. Which is why we, as Catholics, are not required nor obligated to adhere to even the most respected private revelations.

(John 15-21) “If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.”

Jesus said he would show himself to us and his people will hear his voice. Well if Jesus talks to me I don’t keep it private. Especially when Jesus tells us to be a light. We are to let his light shine. If it isn’t Jesus who is talking to one there will be no light it will be darkness. Also the it will not agree with the Written Word of God.

with a grain of salt

if it is not officially approved by the Church, not at all

if the visionary has refused to obey her bishop on the matter you may take it as proof positive that the visions or messages are false.

you can go quite happily through life as an obedient practicing Catholic without ever referring to or considering any private revelation.

the best book I know of on this topic is “A Still Small Voice” by Fr. Benedict Groeschel. It also helps with personal discernment, of vocation, God’s will for your life, decision making etc., “is it God speaking or my own imagination?”

That to me sound just like what a cult leader would tell his followers. There can be no chance of having one, if they want to be a leader, told they are wrong.

What should a Catholic do if Jesus tells Him or her that they were not to hurt anyone for any reason? The Church says it is OK to kill another person, even if it is another Christian, in a “Just War.”?

Scripture says that what Jesus told him or her is right, yet the Church does not agree. Now what is a person to do? If he or she goes to the hierarchy of the Church they will defend the Churches teachings. So it means; believe the Church, and not Jesus.

Of course the person will be told that it could not be Jesus they are hearing.

If the person believe the Church, then Jesus say OK and stops talking to that person. Sound just what a Cult would wish to happen.

It is not until this earth passes and we are with God that we will really know if those who had private revelations are actually persons who heard or saw God at that time. I’ve tried to explain to persons…namely priests and bishops that I was not sure if I had seen Christ during a near death experience in my youth…but again this is private interpretation, and even though I tried to explain to others what I rhought I saw, I was told that I did not see what I thought I did; so therefore, it is not until we are with God that any of us will know for sure.
So to answer your question, private visions are just that, private. Keep in mind that even Christ was mocked and rejected by his people when he told them that he and the Father were one and the same person.

It should also be noted that near death or nightmares can be very real when experienced by any person who is having them. In hindsight my trying to figure out the answer to this question remains that and I will continue to believe that I had one heck of a dream about God and Heaven in a moment of time during a seizure.

We are not allowed to discuss them - this seems to mean particular ones (AFAICS).

That said - how about: with a very large pinch of salt; several truck-loads of salt ?

Trogo = “I munch, chew, champ, crunch” - basically, eat noisily like a horse :). It is a strong and rather vulgar term - apparently (source for that info: Dorothy Sayers, The Man Born to be King).

In other words, if you translate those verses literally from the Greek, Christ says: “Whoever devours/gnaws/chews on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life…”

The footnote goes on to say that “This may be part of John’s emphasis on the reality of the flesh and blood of Jesus… but the same verb eventually became the ordinary verb in Greek meaning ‘eat’.”

However you translate it, it obviously sounded pretty shocking (and was meant to be shocking) to Christ’s original audience, as evidenced by the fact that many of his followers left him after that. In fact Christ then asked his own Apostles “Does this shock you?” (Jn. 6:61).

Given the fact that Christ Himself – as quoted by John the Evangelist – invited his own followers to “chew on” or devour his flesh, it seems kind of ironic that so many Catholics were raised on the notion that one should NEVER, ever, chew on or bite the Host!

Now I will admit that allowing the Host to dissolve on your tongue is much preferable to munching on it in a careless or obvious manner as if you were chewing gum – that DOES drive me nuts when I see it. Even at ordinary meals we are taught not to chew with our mouth open or in an exaggerated manner. Just out of charity, reverence, and good manners, it probably is best to avoid chewing the Host. However, the notion that it’s some kind of deadly sin or sacrilege if the Host touches your teeth is, IMHO, a bit extreme.

Something that happens to us without being intended by us cannot be a sin, let alone a deadly, grave, or mortal one. Sin is voluntary - not involuntary.

BTW, without deviating too much: to “devour” someone was a Hebrew idiom meaning “to pursue to death”; it occurs in the OT about five times. This makes the passage in John 6 more, not less, shocking.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.